1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What would cause such a drop in ranking ?

Discussion in 'Keyword Tracker' started by blkg35, Nov 24, 2004.

I found this tool yesterday online and i have to say that i am really impressed with it. I used the tool to examine my page ranking on about 10-15 keyword terms. Yesterday when i looked at my position, i was ranked anywhere from 9th to 25th on about 4-5 terms. Today when i ran the report to look if any changes happened and wow they did. The 4-5 terms that i was ranked pretty god on yesterday now all but dropped off the listings. Meaning i saw a 9000+ position drop with these terms. Anyone with any idea how this could have happened in over 24-hour time span? I am very very confused. I have read a lot about SEO and know some of the pitfalls to look out for, but to have a drop like this i have never seen. Any suggestions or ideas about this will be greatly appreciated

blkg35, Nov 24, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Do you think the keyword tracker is reporting it wrong? What position do you see yourself at when you look manually?

digitalpoint, Nov 24, 2004 IP
  3. blkg35

blkg35 Peon

Best Answers:
    When i look manually i do not see my site anywhere like i did yesterday. Further more after looking a little on googles site i have found this

Could using this tool affected my ranking?

blkg35, Nov 24, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No, it doesn't affect your rankings. It uses the Google API which has terms that override Google's primary terms.

5. blkg35

blkg35 Peon

Best Answers:
    Any other sugestions why i would have droped over 9000 postions in one day?

blkg35, Nov 24, 2004 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No idea... the keyword tracker only reports what Google gives it.

7. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Words come and go. I have a series of words that are top 5 one day, gone the next, back again the day after that. Get more links to those pages that fluctuate wildly and eventually they will be a lot more steady.

lorien1973, Nov 24, 2004 IP
  8. blkg35

blkg35 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been looking for good links to my site but the items that i am selling on my site do not lend themselves to finding quality links for other sites. The vast majority of sites with my keywords are selling the same items that I am selling. Are there any suggestions about how to find good links other than doing keyword searches via google and asking for links to those websites?

blkg35, Nov 24, 2004 IP
  9. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    there are always informational sites about any product out there - and most of those either have advertising links on their site; or have affiliate banners on their site (and thus are looking for advertisers without overtly asking for them). I hunt down those types of people all the time and have gotten tons of quality backlinks.

lorien1973, Nov 24, 2004 IP
  10. TonysDesigns

TonysDesigns Member

Best Answers:
    No clue on this one.....sorry

TonysDesigns, Nov 28, 2004 IP
  11. t2dman

t2dman Peon

Best Answers:
    If your page is new into the Google index, it can drop off as your page may not be listed on each of the Google datacenters. Just be patient, and your pages should appear again.

However, there are many ways that your pages can drop off:
    1. Too much interlinking between websites - means the sites are treated as one site, and a page will be shown for only one of the sites
    2. Someone has copied your page, or you have the same snippet as another website for the same search term - therefore duplicate text, and Google only shows what it considers is the highest ranking site.
    3. Someone has done a 302 temporary transfer to your page, and so that referring url has "become" your page - creating duplicate content and so showing their url for the page rather than yours - yours drops off to 1000+
    4. A new page generally gets a temporary boost in its position when it first appears on Google. It then settles down to its "proper" place. If you have a large site with good interlinking of pages, your page could stay relatively stable in the serps as Google initially ranks based on say one link to a page, then factors in other links to that page over time, negating the otherwise fall in the serps that you would experience.
    5. ...

t2dman, Dec 4, 2004 IP