1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What was your biggest business mistake?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by PhiladelphiaIM, Jan 31, 2014.

What was your biggest business mistake? What did you learn from it?

Share your story below! Let's learn from one another!

PhiladelphiaIM, Jan 31, 2014 IP
  2. competent123

competent123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    1- taking customers for granted
    2- thinking online business is easy
    3- having an "ego" for customers, like they own me something.

Good things that i learned.
    To quote gandhi.

“A customer is the most important visitor on our premises. He is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him. He is not an interruption in our work. He is the purpose of it. He is not an outsider in our business. He is part of it. We are not doing him a favor by serving him. He is doing us a favor by giving us an opportunity to do so.”

competent123, Jan 31, 2014 IP
    averyz likes this.
  3. SpyShifu

SpyShifu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1) without proper research, don't ever invest large amount just because your competition are making money!
    2) Do open PPC campaign time to time, don't just set & forgot!

These are my two biggest mistake, I've made just recently on previous year.

SpyShifu, Jan 31, 2014 IP
    TrafficTOM and competent123 like this.
  4. obay

obay Notable Member

Best Answers:
    1) not colo my own equipment, whom who have given you access to there server are very extreme, and unfortunately. are not very knowledgeable about the Linux system.

Has cost me quite a bit of money hosting with other firms.

obay, Feb 1, 2014 IP
  5. Suckerpunch

Suckerpunch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My biggest mistake in my online business was getting complacent with success. I had an excellent affiliate network that started out with a single site and expanded into over 20 that were bringing in a decent revenue on a monthly basis. For the first 18 months I constantly worked on the sites and developed new ones, exploring ideas. I came up with a methodology to try new sites and niches, following it religiously for almost two years.

And then I sat back, cashed my commission cheques and let the whole thing fizzle. Eventually I closed most of them down and sold anything remaining that had some value for a fraction of what it was worth once upon a time.

I still have a successful online business in a service capacity, still do well on freelance projects but am now working on restarting that affiliate network from scratch.

Lesson learned? Don't get complacent. Keep setting new goals when you've accomplished the ones you previously set for yourself.

Suckerpunch, Feb 1, 2014 IP
    competent123 likes this.
  6. Sarah Davis

Sarah Davis Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not researching a niche and not planning. Planning and research is crucial to success in business. I'm sure many of us have made this mistake, but it cost me a lot. I learned from it though, and I'm now very efficient when doing keyword research and creating business plans.

Sarah Davis, Feb 1, 2014 IP
    competent123 likes this.
  7. Wae Athenway

Wae Athenway Member

Best Answers:
    Lost almost $3k buying websites and they had no value and all scams.

Wae Athenway, Feb 3, 2014 IP
  8. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    My biggest business mistake was to assume that I couldn't start up on my own. My parents being *very* successful convinced me to go to work for them after I left university. It was difficult as employees around me felt that I was being favored. My parents wouldn't take my ideas without picking them apart and criticizing them.
    When I left there were hard feelings, but here I am and I've done quite well.
    Lesson learnt is to have enough confidence in oneself to go it alone. Also think twice before attaching your horse to your families wagon.

Spoiltdiva, Feb 3, 2014 IP
    competent123 likes this.
  9. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Probably getting to focused in a current trend and following it until it ran out. The internet is always changing if you are not constantly looking for the next trend you will get left behind.

averyz, Feb 3, 2014 IP
  10. Dionne Taylor

Dionne Taylor Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not taking action when first starting out.

Dionne Taylor, Feb 3, 2014 IP
  11. exodia

exodia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thinking webdesign and web development meant the same thing. The rest were not mistakes but valuable lessons.

exodia, Feb 3, 2014 IP
  12. XooX

XooX Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Perseverance is key. I have been on internet business for more than 7 years and I am yet to make a dent in any major way. The reason is simply because I did not have perseverance to get one thing done at a time. I always jumped from one idea to another. It is only over the past 6 months that I have started realizing this and have started working towards it. That's showing great promise already.

XooX, Feb 4, 2014 IP
  13. gambler53

gambler53 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, if you wait too long to jump on an idea, you might lose your chance to make a fortune. I myself had a tendency to take on too many projects at once. I learned to stay organized.

gambler53, Feb 4, 2014 IP
  14. Deepak patel

Deepak patel Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    In my starting Days. I started a website but earning more quickly I have done lots of experiments
    with that site and one day I delete it and again redesign but got nothing not a single penny.
    and wasted lots and lots of time.
    SO, Final message is that there is no shortcuts for earn more We have to do Work hard and Implement
    thos With SMARTNESS.

Deepak patel, Feb 4, 2014 IP
  15. mrgadget

mrgadget Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    1. Not bravely invest on a profitable project when opportunity came - sometimes, excessive carefulness may harm your business.
    2. Not build email lists at the beginning - when start building email list, Not split test and optimize sale funnel
    3. Get distracted by people and other stuffs - stay focusing's always the key.

mrgadget, Feb 4, 2014 IP
  16. impishme84

impishme84 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Trusting a freelancer for making my website :( that was the worst decision i made and was a complete waste of time and money. I guess it is pretty easy to find writers but not easy to work with a freelance web designer.

impishme84, Feb 5, 2014 IP
  17. Dionne Taylor

Dionne Taylor Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yep plus if you don't take action right off the bat, you might not start your project at all.

Dionne Taylor, Feb 5, 2014 IP
  18. John Eulizer Nimo

John Eulizer Nimo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Believing in every sales page that I opened. I wasted time, money, and effort. If I'm going to meet the me 3 years ago, I'd slap him in the face - using a sledgehammer.

John Eulizer Nimo, Feb 5, 2014 IP