1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

WHat to expect from DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by inthedark, Jan 5, 2005.

Hi all...my site was just accepted to DMOZ (less than a week, quite surprising, hopefully google will crawl the site soon :) ) ...being a noob what should I expect to see now...more backlinks popping up daily?

Thanks,
    Frank

inthedark, Jan 5, 2005 IP
  2. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't expect anything dramatic (definately not new links everyday). My site has been in DMOZ for quite a while and I havn't seen a significant difference in regards to links. The only thing DMOZ is good for is PR, in my opinion.

ViciousSummer, Jan 5, 2005 IP
  3. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    It depends on many things, for example what title DMOZ lists you for!

Blogmaster, Jan 6, 2005 IP
  4. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    It depends where you are in DMOZ. The number of links depends entirely on the category the site is listed in. There are a few categories where a listing will provide 10,000+ links because they are very popular to reproduce and there are other categories which are a long way down the url chain and a listing there will provide less than a 100.

How long does it take? The same applies, if you are up near the root of DMOZ then not very long. The last site I saw accepted for one of these top level categories just before Xmas now shows 4,000+ links (in msn beta) of which all but a handful are DMOZ clones of this category.

- Michael

Michael, Jan 6, 2005 IP
  5. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    don't look at dmoz, networks at a maginc potion. Know where you're going and what is keeping you from getting there. Think about the search enigne who are thinking this: what do the surfers want and how will I get them what they want.

All I moslty every see is attempts to "trick" the search engines.

Don't you guys get it by now?

Blogmaster, Jan 6, 2005 IP
  6. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is not a magic bullet. I wouldnt expect to much. There are several sites ranked high in google without a DMOZ link. Also from what I understand from the National Association of Realtors, is they are looking to file an injunction against DMOZ for their use of the Trademark use of Realtor.

The supervising attorney for the trademark office of NAR said they have been looking in to DMOZ and are in the process of starting the process for trademark violations with the legal department for DMOZ which I believe is netscape. If this happens the ediotrs will be quite busy changing 10s of thousands of descriptions within their real estate CATs.

If this does happen I could honestly even see those CATs removed and closed for a long time, until they are changed.

Las Vegas Homes, Jan 6, 2005 IP
  7. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    Hell has more chance of freezing over than editors eyeballing and hand editing for tradenames. If NAR proceed and by some million-to-one shot are successful then an attractive option for DMOZ must be to just close the relevant categories down, apologize to the legitimate users of the tradename and invite them to resubmit.

- Michael

Michael, Jan 6, 2005 IP
  8. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    Its not just the users, the term Realtor can not be used as a description. Also from my understanding there have been several sites listed and in the Title Tag or description referring to those people as Realtors, when in fact they are not. I understand , how can you expect an editor to know this, but IMHO if you are editing a CAT, you should be aware of the regulations or specials rules that may apply to that CAT.

I do however agree with you that if NAR is successful, DMOZ would be better off closing those CATs and suggesting people resubmit.

9. real

real Peon

Best Answers:
    NAR abuses its power all the time.

real, Jan 6, 2005 IP
  10. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    I would agree with you, but they have spent millions to protect that Trademark, so I can in a sense understand. I dont know if you are a Realtor, but we have to pay to hold that title. The term Realtor means that you are held to a set of ethical and moral principles that those who do not have that title are held to.

So since I am paying NAR a ton of money every year to hold that title I personally dont like those that have not paid to be using it.

11. inthedark

inthedark Peon

Best Answers:
    glad my site has nothing to do with real estate :)

inthedark, Jan 6, 2005 IP
  12. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    Wish mine didnt have anything to do with real estate lol. Its very difficult to get a real estate website listed in DMOZ. To much political BS going on within DMOZ for a good real estate site to be listed.

Something that happen to a friend of mine that had his real estate site listed and then because he didnt agree with an editor on a post in their forum, the next day his website was removed from DMOZ. The funny thing about it was they told him his website wasnt submitted correctly. I find that hard to believe since he was an editall for DMOZ at one time.

Back to your website I think it will help you some, but its not a magic bullet. Best Of Luck.

13. dakar

dakar Active Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed, I just started a new site, and got it listed in DMOZ a couple months ago, honestly my own efforts of obtaining backlinks have provided far more than the DMOZ listing, actually the co-op has been the best thing yet, most of the IBL's listed in the last update were from co-op sites :D

dakar, Jan 6, 2005 IP
  14. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The same is true of many other professions with regulating bodies. It really isn't an abuse of power per se since it doesn't actually serve the professionals but rather members of the public who may be potential clients. For example, the College of Psychologists in my area regulates who can and cannot use the designation "Psychologist" -- the College acts as an advocate for the public, not for the psychologists, and as a body that ensures that anyone using the designation is qualified to do so and adheres to the code of ethics and other legal statutes in the pursuit of professional activities. I would assume that it's the same for other professional licensing and regulating bodies.

minstrel, Jan 6, 2005 IP