1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What to do with the web directories listed in APEWS?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Marker1982, Dec 18, 2012.

Hi all,

I am new to amazing word of SEO. Just starting directory submission for my site. While checking if the IP address of directory is listed with DNS based anti-spam databases or not, I found more than 90% directories are listed in APEWS (Anonymous Postmasters Early Warning System). Just wondering should in do directory submission in those directories listed in APEWS or avoid them.

Thanks in advance.

Marker1982, Dec 18, 2012 IP
  2. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    90% of directories were on the spam list? And what directory list were you using to reach those results?

YMC, Dec 19, 2012 IP
  3. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Probably their own all on the same IP :)

silencer, Dec 19, 2012 IP
  4. Marker1982

Marker1982 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I search free directories on google and bing. When I check their IP in whatismyipaddress, found more than 90% directories are listed in APEWS (Anonymous Postmasters Early Warning System). My question is should in do directory submission in those directories or avoid them.

Marker1982, Dec 19, 2012 IP
  5. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I just tested 6 directories that are banned/penalised in Google, that show as "not listed" in any of the blacklists. So what exactly is your point again?

silencer, Dec 19, 2012 IP
  6. Marker1982

Marker1982 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    My point is does Google consider those directories that are listed in blacklist batabase lists. BTW how do I check whether a directory is banned/penalized by Google or not.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    Marker1982, Dec 20, 2012 IP
  7. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well I think I answered that since the directories that are banned/penalised aren't in any of the blacklists. So what's the point of the blacklist?

A site can generally be considered to be penalised when it struggles to rank for it's own name. e.g. try Pegasus Directory or "Pegasus Directory" in G. The directory associated with that name isn't on that 1st page of results. It's clearly penalised. The site however will still be indexed. If you try pegasusdirectory.com, it is clearly indexed with sitelinks.

A site can be considered to be banned when it has been de-indexed. i.e. Google has decided that the site doesn't belong in their index at all. If you do a site:sitename.com in G you can ascertain if the site is indexed or not.

silencer, Dec 21, 2012 IP
  8. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I could be wrong but I think the blacklists have to do with spam being sent by emails from that domain, potential virus attacks and other really nasty stuff. Being de-indexed by Google is more a matter of getting caught trying to 'game' the rankings.

YMC, Dec 21, 2012 IP