1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What to do when there is No Editor

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Icebreaker74, Jan 28, 2009.

Some of my sites belong to areas or groups that dont have an editor on Dmoz.
    If I backtrack up the tree, the same thing, almost having to backtrack to Sports parent directory.

Does someone still get the request even if there is no editor?

Icebreaker74, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  2. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    There are over 200 volunteers who can edit in any category, so it is immaterial whether or not there is an editor's name at the bottom of a category. That just means that someone has a particular interest in that topic, but it tells you nothing at all about their activity, or whether or not they use the pool of suggestions as a resource.
    All site suggestions can be reviewed by anyone with permission to edit in that category, so please choose the single most specific category for your site, suggest it once, and remember to follow the instructions, particularly the following:
    A volunteer will review your suggestion at some stage, but DMOZ is not a listing service, and it is not a high priority for editors to look at sites awaiting review, so please do not have any time frames in mind. :)

makrhod, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  3. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice rules are there highlighted , maybe free sites from geocities with affiliate links from amazon since years are useful :) or maybe the link with the redirect on the sub domain from the girls community which I said before are enough valuable to be added there ( atleast the redirect link its seems to had before same content like the girl comunity :) ) ...

trustnobodynever, Jan 29, 2009 IP
  4. shailendra

shailendra Peon

Best Answers:
    even if there isn't any volunteer editor in the category, there are meta editors and senior editors who do it. yeah but the process can be bit slow.

shailendra, Jan 29, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  5. Caesar1

Caesar1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Or you may volunteer, its not that difficult, just be honest and upfront.

Caesar1, Jan 29, 2009 IP
  6. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This might surprise you but, as a guy that's processed many editor applications, I can tell you that a lot of folks seem to find that exteremely difficult :D.

jimnoble, Jan 30, 2009 IP
  7. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    Extremely hard to understand how's come even with the lucky ones which you find them already there , have added links which I found them on directory ;) . Claiming '' mistakes '' or changes of the owners isn't a solution since there we have web.archive.org / google cache and whois records . And also claiming having tools which scan always the directory to find '' bad links '' isn't nice since the links are there since enough time to be found even by an not experienced eye like mine . Closing peoples threads when they are trying to find some answers cant be so difficult also , giving warnings cant be difficult too its seems . If you aren't know what about i`m saying there just ask your guardian angels who's flying around you :) with sure they can give more answers like '' follow the guidelines '' or '' there are rules '' , and all other answers who's looks like prefigured forms .

trustnobodynever, Jan 30, 2009 IP
  8. jjwill

jjwill Peon

Best Answers:
    I would love to give an answer but can not for the life of me figure out just what you are trying to say. Can you please try again. Thanks. :)

jjwill, Jan 30, 2009 IP
  9. Bosna

Bosna Peon

Best Answers:
    i submited 2 my sites 1 year ago and still no answer from DMOZ...

Bosna, Jan 30, 2009 IP
  10. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    maybe your sites aren't have enough quality to be added :) ( same quality like the links found and said on other replies of mine .. ) :)

trustnobodynever, Jan 30, 2009 IP
  11. Caesar1

Caesar1 Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL I stand corrected, I never looked or have any idea of whats going on with the editor applications. it was easy for me, but then again I had some feedback from the editors and old editors.

Caesar1, Feb 1, 2009 IP
  12. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:

Anonymously, Feb 2, 2009 IP
  13. APHPDeveloper

APHPDeveloper Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have tried many tiomes to get my site in DMOz but i've never even had a reply saying no!

There has not been an editor in this category in for 6 years or so.

Cheers,

APHP

APHPDeveloper, Feb 5, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  14. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    We don't routinely send emails.

As to the rest of your item, I think you'll it was cleverly answered by makrhod in post#2 before you even posted.

jimnoble, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  15. gu3ssWHAT

gu3ssWHAT Banned

Best Answers:
    YOU RARELY WHEN BOTHER ANYWAY TO READ WHAT THE HECK HAVE PEOPLES TO SAY , YOU RARELY BOTHER ALSO TO WRITE SOMETHING NEW BY YOUR OWN , USING COPY PASTE TO MAKE YOUR POST'S , AND TRYING HARD TO COVER THE DIRTY WHICH CAN COME OUT SOMETIME FROM THE DIRECTORY COMUNITY PRACTICES , FULL WITH SPAM LINKS AND OTHER THINGS WHICH YOU GUYS KEEP LYIEING THERE UNDER THE '' UMBRELLA OF VOLUNTEER WORK '' WICH ITS SEEMS ARENT WORKING ANYMORE . HOW DO YOU HAVE CONTROL AT DP FORUMS ?
    With the corruption and dictatorial way how ODP promote their listing service , and the way how you guy's choose to '' share the love '' it's hard to believe someone really care about this damn it crap spam link directory . This is only bullshits about keeping an official advertising campaign ! Just with the reason to keep public interest about the directory alive , to increase the revenue generated for peoples with you colaborate ( for example mods from this forum ) ...

gu3ssWHAT, Mar 3, 2009 IP
  16. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    Pot/kettle.

Are you a reincarnation of trustnobodynever? You seem to have the same bees in your bonnet, though the SHOUTING is a new feature.

jimnoble, Mar 3, 2009 IP
  17. gu3ssWHAT

gu3ssWHAT Banned

Best Answers:
    Ask your guardian angels to ban me too :) I`m sure they will start to give warning and bans because i`m writing this :)

they have same fault like the ones who list spam sites on the directory , and same fault have the one's who's keep the dirty editors there ... same fault like the ones who are asking mods ( or the ones who are mods and editors at dmoz ) to keep closed moth to peoples on forums like this ones

gu3ssWHAT, Mar 3, 2009 IP
  18. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    You read my mind, jimnoble. The repetitive rhetoric is indeed eerily familiar.

makrhod, Mar 3, 2009 IP
  19. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Yes well you guys don't make it any easier, you give form letter feedback with a dozen possible reasons for rejection, you give absolutely no specifics 80% of the time, how the heck do you expect to increase the ranks of your editors when you make it an obstacle course (where the course changes with every application) to complete.

When you do get any personalized feedback you get something that leads you to believe that your application was fine just appears that you did not do XY or Z and then when you do, you get the standardized rejection with no specifics.

What would be helpful is of course specific feedback (seems too much to ask) or once someone has applied more than once, the same person reviews their app the second time if possible (probably also too much to ask)

For those of you aspiring to become an editor, it is an absolute crap shoot, the feedback is arbitrary, acceptance is arbitrary, rejection is arbitrary, rules are arbitrary, standards are arbitrary, sites that get listed are arbitrary.

It is absolute Chaos and the fact that anything that goes in one end ever comes out the other is absolutely miraculous in my eyes.

joeventura, Mar 3, 2009 IP
  20. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    I give specifics 99% of the time. However, once I've found a show stopper, I'm not going to spend time seeing if there are any more.
    I don't see that requiring literacy (in the language of the category), search skills, integrity and the ability to read is an obstacle course - and no, we don't keep moving the goal posts around.
    I don't see that as a plus and it could have disadvantages. When I'm really focusing on newapps, I'll process up to 50 a day. Would you expect me to remember any details a week later?
    Absolutely not.

Do I gather that you're no longer interested in becoming an editor?

jimnoble, Mar 3, 2009 IP