1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What to do When Someone Doesn't Pay?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by disintegrationintochaos, Feb 13, 2010.

What are the right steps to do when someone doesn't pay you for writing them copy or sales page, etc. and how can you prevent this from happening in the future? (note: his itrader was mostly positive)

disintegrationintochaos, Feb 13, 2010 IP
  2. mrdo

mrdo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you could report to MODs

mrdo, Feb 13, 2010 IP
  3. Osagie Irowa

Osagie Irowa Active Member

Best Answers:
    Request payment upfront or at least half before you start the project. Good Luck

Osagie Irowa, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  4. digital_irfan

digital_irfan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Request him/her to pay you as you have done his/her work honestly or if you still not get payment tell that you can leave a negative iTrader :p

If the man was honest you deal with, surely you'll get payment as sometime people gets busy or they were facing problem, might be your not getting your payment due to this.

Hope you'll think next time before working with these kind of people, i too have lost lots of bucks due to several unhonest guys on dp.

digital_irfan, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  5. DoDo Me

DoDo Me Peon

Best Answers:
    check iTrade first before make deal

DoDo Me, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  6. felixjet

felixjet Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    itrader rulez

felixjet, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  7. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What do you mean by mostly positive? A guy who has one or two negative iTraders along with mostly positive ones should be dealt with very cautiously, and one with more than one or two negatives should be avoided, unless he has a large number of positive iTraders (Say 100 or 200), in which case a few negatives are inevitable.

You should check a person's previous posts, recent deals and such in addition to his iTrader to form an opinion as to his genuineness before you deal with him. You may also ask for some payment up front.

The only recourse you have if you are scammed is to leave the scammer a negative iTrader, so as to warn others who may deal with him. There's nothing else you can do.

lightless, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  8. bdgbdg

bdgbdg Member

Best Answers:
    You need to be careful and check the itrader rating. Try to ask for the payment again and if possible have them pay upfront.

bdgbdg, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  9. TheTechWritingMachine

TheTechWritingMachine Member

Best Answers:
    Well, post on the forum, inform the others and MODs. Make sure that you publish that person's email address as well so that it'll be found by other people.

Last but not least, hire a hacker and destroy all his/her online presence; hack the Paypal account and exploit credit cards. Cheaters don’t deserve anything merciful. :mad:

TheTechWritingMachine, Feb 15, 2010 IP
  10. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    While cheaters do deserve to be punished, doing all the above would be unethical and illegal. Moreover, all the above would cost a whole deal more than whatever money was lost due to non-payment.

lightless, Feb 15, 2010 IP
  11. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    MODs don't get involved in personal deals as they have stated over and over in the support forum.

About cheaters, they'r lurking everywhere, not just here so you need to apply some common sense when taking orders and do a brief background research on the prospective client when possible unless you ask for upfront payments.

Mystique, Feb 15, 2010 IP
  12. Rigmonkey

Rigmonkey Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    My advice?

Wipe your mouth and learn from it. The longer you spend working in this game, the easier it becomes to spot the scammers and the untrustworthy.

I rarely work with anyone without a strong web presence, contact information (including business addresses that I can clarify if I'm in any doubt whatsoever) and a telephone number. It's an absolute minimum requirement.

If anybody requesting articles or written copy can't back it up with their own website, they're probably not professional enough to do business with in the first place.

If the articles haven't been paid for, the articles still belong to you. Write a letter demanding they be taken down or further action will be taken,whether you intend to pursue it or not. I've also found that constant invoicing helps. Waiting for your bill to arrive every few days will have the same effect as waiting for an unpaid bill coming through a traditional letterbox. I'd continue doing it out of devilment alone!

Rigmonkey, Feb 15, 2010 IP
  13. chrisj383

chrisj383 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Report it to mods etc. and provide as much evidense as you can. Also sending a DMCA might help.

chrisj383, Feb 15, 2010 IP
  14. gsmdna.com

gsmdna.com Peon

Best Answers:
    the best thing is FORGet what happened lol

gsmdna.com, Feb 15, 2010 IP
  15. camgaertner

camgaertner Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe you could give him negative iTrader, but make sure to remind him and make sure hes aware that he has not paid before you do.

camgaertner, Feb 15, 2010 IP
  16. Mystique

Best Answers:
  17. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, you could contact his host, but the burden of proof lies on you.

There's really nothing you can do but to learn from it.

From here on in get at least half up front.

If you want to do this for a living, get their full name along with their phone number. This will help weed many of the not-so-serious out.

Perry Rose, Feb 15, 2010 IP
  18. Mystique

Best Answers:
  19. asmodeus

asmodeus Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, the articles still belong to the writer. You should do everything you can to make sure any articles that were not paid for are removed. Contact any websites that are using your articles without your permission and issue a takedown notice.

I went after an asshat who ripped off a friend of mine and began using her articles that he never paid for and so far we've successfully managed to have them all removed and even the article directories were quite helpful in resolving the issue.

It's very important to learn from your mistakes, but also not to simply roll over and play dead when it does happen. Take action against scammers!!

asmodeus, Feb 15, 2010 IP
  20. disintegrationintochaos

disintegrationintochaos Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all your help guys. I am doing a combination of the advice and though he claims he's having problems with paypal i don't really believe it as I sent multiple invoices, all he has to do is pay the money?? A firm direct letter seems to be catching his attention as other emails were ignored, it wasn't until I suggested legal action and exportation that he responded!

Luckily it is not a large amount of money but I am still pissed that I spent all that work and received no payment. I refuse to let this go just on principle. I will be patient and give him a few more days to another week and see what happens before I start giving him negative iTrader.

disintegrationintochaos, Feb 15, 2010 IP