1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What to do when a writer doesn't deliver?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Byron007, Jul 20, 2010.

In response to my post here, one of the respondents on that thread contacted me offering their services at 4c/word.

I accepted, explained what I wanted and showed them my site so that they could see the standard of posts etc. They said they had it covered. No problems.

What I received was of a standard I'd associate with my 1c/word Filipino writers.

I wrote straight back, was upfront about it, said I thought the article was poor and did not address my requirements. I pointed out specific examples and I asked for a re-write.

Initial reply to that was "Sorry. I couldnt of been more help " then later on an apology followed. Hopped on Skype and clarified any misunderstandings, with a promise from him for a re-write.

That was 16th. Despite emails & Skype IM's since, no response, yet he's online, here & on Skype.

In the end I asked for my $20 back and said we'd both just forget about it as a bad deal. Nada to that too.

I'd like to think I'm a reasonable guy, and try to do the right thing by all parties, but I believe the time has come to name names if no refund is issued.

Thoughts?

Byron007, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  2. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Name and shame comes to mind. Of course I am basing this reply completely on what you posted(I can't verify it), but assuming what you posted is what happened and how it happened, you have been nothing but professional about it, and the other party showed a severe lack of that same quality.

You have done what you are supposed to do and were nice about it. Now it is time not to be nice.

Name the SOB, and if you paid him/her through PayPal or Credit Card you can pursue a charge back as well.

I have done my share of bashing what I perceived to be unethical content buyers, but I won't hesitate to do the same to a writer who displays behavior as you described.

From what I read you belong to the group of honorable content buyers, and I would stick my neck out for you, just as I would for a writer getting exploited.

So by all means, proceed and name the bugger.

Kraven2, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  3. Byron007

Byron007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Will give him 48 hours to allow for any unforeseen stuff.. you know... sickness, dead computer, buffalo died etc. <-- if you get that last one.. you too have been to Thailand ;)

4. iNET SEO

iNET SEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    I had a buffalo die once - took me 4 days until I could get back to my PC!

But on a serious note, name and shame - don't let others get caught out by those unscrupulous gits out there.

iNET SEO, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  5. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Believe me, I know what can happen. I myself, have been through a strain of events the last couple of weeks that you wouldn't believe. It causes delays, it can cause cancellations of assignments, but what I deliver is top notch quality. From what I read in your post, he submitted a piece of crap to state it bluntly. That is simply not done, especially at such a decent rate of $ 4/100

That by itself should be infuriating enough. When you pay top dollar, you are entitled to top quality.

Kraven2, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  6. Byron007

Byron007 Active Member

Best Answers:

you know what worries me though, is I know many unemployed are writing, and struggling to make ends meet... and that $20 he may not now have. I'd hate to embarrass anyone over a lousy $20. So XX, if you read this, which I know you will, and if the $20 is an issue, just tell me. I've been broke myself, so I know how tough it can be sometimes.

7. miksy123

miksy123 Peon

Best Answers:
    You have to be careful next time...try finding other providers!

miksy123, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  8. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry but that's no excuse. When you lack the skills to produce a $20 article you don't do the assignment. You do four $5 run of the mill ones instead.

$1/100 are a dime a dozen and easy to come by. I get showered with requests for them on a daily basis(And turn it down most of the time, unless I really like the subject or have a good reason not to decline.). It's no excuse really.

Kraven2, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  9. iNET SEO

iNET SEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is a tough call and if you have morals, which you clearly do (a nice refreshing change) it does make it a little more awkward.

There comes a point though where you have given them enough time to resolve the issue and past this point, they are then starting to take the mick.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  10. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's a thin line I agree. On the one hand you have content buyers trying to get high quality stuff at pennies on the dollar who are relentless in pursuing that goal(There's a thread on here somewhere on that subject how a buyer kept claiming $ 1/100 was a high price). On the other hand you have sensible content buyers who do know the value of a top quality article. However, there is such a thing as going to far. Even a content buyer with high morals, ethics, and basically just good business sense, can be too understanding, and gets taken advantage of.

Like I said, you were nice, now it is time not to be nice.

The one thing you do not want is to gain a reputation of being a person who can be taken advantage off.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
    Kraven2, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  11. Byron007

Byron007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    yep, point taken... will let 48 hours expire, then will name.

12. Siestakey

Siestakey Peon

Best Answers:
    if u have given payment through paypal then u can put dispute against him and take your money back.......

Siestakey, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  13. iNET SEO

iNET SEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    PayPal wont help in these circumstances - I know... first hand experience many times! Unless its an Ebay item, they really don't give a damn!

14. Byron007

Byron007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think PP won't help you if it's a "service". Only if physical goods. But I could be wrong.

15. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You're wrong. I disputed services before. Works just as well as with physical products, it just takes forever :D

Kraven2, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  16. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't share that experience and have had several disputes filed, and won. It takes a long time, but with patience, you can get your money back.

Kraven2, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  17. iNET SEO

iNET SEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    Really? I have been told 3 times that I am sh*t outta luck!

18. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    How long was that ago? My last successful claim was 3 weeks ago :)

Kraven2, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  19. iNET SEO

iNET SEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    Last 6 months for all of them! :D

I think I shall go back to them and complain!

20. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Do so, I think PayPal has made a lot of improvements the last couple of months.

I am actually pleased with their current support, while over the years they were infamous as a helpdesk, that was better named helldesk :D

It could very well be that they improved in the claims department also.

Kraven2, Jul 20, 2010 IP