1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What the heck is the secret of getting website traffic ?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by bluegill_catcher, May 6, 2005.

What the heck is the way to get website traffic ?

Do you guys submit every page to as many engines as you can find ?

Do you use PPC advertising ?

I just don't understand it, lol

bluegill_catcher, May 6, 2005 IP
  2. palespyder

palespyder Psycho Ninja

Best Answers:
    When you find out can you come back and tell the rest of us? :eek:

Seriously though, getting traffic is all about patience, if you expect 10000 unique visitors a day from a brand new site, keep dreaming. A good site can take awhile to get known. This does not even take into consideration competition or keyword niche popularity. If your niche is to far out there, you may have a very small cross section of folks with a finite amount of unique addresses ;) But, if you target say Britney Spears, well now it's pretty much endless the amount of people you can attract. BTW Britney was an example, if you try that you have WAY more time and money then I do ;)

palespyder, May 6, 2005 IP
  3. khushal

khushal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Full marks 100/100 Palespyder!!!

khushal, May 6, 2005 IP
  4. bluegill_catcher

bluegill_catcher Active Member

Best Answers:
    will my site is on credit cards, credit card sources, abd has been around awhile.
    Now for instance if you go to google and put in the search phrase:
    credit card sources
    I am #1

5. mhdoc

mhdoc Tauren

Best Answers:
    According to the DigitalPoint keyword tracker there are NO searches for that term.

mhdoc, May 6, 2005 IP
  6. palespyder

palespyder Psycho Ninja

Best Answers:
    I think you have hit the deadly ;) "TOO niche of a market"

credit card source = 2.0 searches per day according to the keyword suggestion tool here at DP.

My suggestion, take a look at the keyword suggestion tool for "credit card" and think outside the box in your targeting. Target 3-5 key phrases that are moderate traffic phrases, with a moderate amount of competition (less then 5 or so million)

7. bluegill_catcher

bluegill_catcher Active Member

Best Answers:
    How does one target the words or phrases, to make the search engines list your site for them search terms ?

If you look at my sites meta tags for the keywords you will see a lot of them, but yet google has me listed only under 'credit card sources'. I just don't understand this net stuff, my domain has over 9,000 sites linking to me according to alexa and yet i get maybe 100 visitors a day

8. Andi

Andi Peon

Best Answers:
    Britney does very well for me, thank you. :) Sometimes it pays to throw up a lot of miscellaneous stuff and then go with the keywords that draw traffic.

My site is way different from my original vision but I am very pleased with it just the same. When a subject draws traffic, I'll go with it. Though I'm not tied to anything--Adsense targets what Google sends...

Andi

Andi, May 6, 2005 IP
  9. paymentapprovaltooslow

paymentapprovaltooslow Banned

Best Answers:
    You need either a service or something or very good targeting. One of the two.

paymentapprovaltooslow, May 6, 2005 IP
  10. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Links, press releases (which generate links), good keywords and more links. It's a lot of work, for sure. But it pays off in the end.

mopacfan, May 6, 2005 IP
  11. Andi

Andi Peon

Best Answers:
    Sometimes it pays to cultivate relationships with writers, reporters, or people who might be interviewed for publication, broadcast etc. Getting a piece in a publication or TV segment can be a big boost.

I have gotten as many as 1000 additional visitors in a day because of a brief mention on a local TV show... I still dream about what would happen if my domain were mentioned by a guest on on GMA, Today, Oprah... :)

Andi

Andi, May 6, 2005 IP
  12. prowler

prowler Guest

Best Answers:
    Plenty of coffee and a lot of late nights

i would suggest you get in the ODP dmoz

Regarding submitting to search engines i would get your site listed in as many directories as you can click on my sig below it will give you a list of about 600 nice directories.

Happy Submitting

prowler, May 6, 2005 IP
  13. palespyder

palespyder Psycho Ninja

Best Answers:
    See I go away for awhile and you get good answers :) I can honestly say I read for about 2 hours a day making sure nothing has changed that I need to know about, and continuing my SEO education. It's a never ending battle..

14. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    Imagine what it's like for us Brits - I wake up in a morning and there's been an explosion on the forum.
    For what it's worth, the key to getting high traffic levels is pick the correct topic :D
    Once a site is established (ie > 2 years) you'll know what the traffic levels are for that site. How much is search engine traffic, how much is return visits. And exactly where you you need to concentrate your efforts will be pretty obvious.
    You need to be targetting keywords that are searched for often and you need to be in the first 3 pages of SERPs - preferably page 1 obviously. That should help maximise traffic from the Engines.
    Obviously getting to page 1 in a highly competitive keyword is going to take time, you could supplement with PPC whilst your getting to the top.

jlawrence, May 6, 2005 IP
  15. Jim bob 9 pants

Jim bob 9 pants Peon

Best Answers:
    HI,

Well I know exactly what you are going through blue gill!!

The advice given here is very valuable to me, but it mainly just re-enforces what I already deep down know, there are no quick fixes (that will work in the long term) its a game of patients and perserverance.

Add to your site daily, pack it with RELEVANT information, design and shape it for users not bots - when you think you are there keep going.

Maybe a news letter sent to your punters(send them a link to a news letter on your site), as said above articles to submit and Press releases, submit to directories and sell benefits to people.

Jim bob 9 pants, May 6, 2005 IP