1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What technologies should I use?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by guru84, May 1, 2015.

Hi guys,
    I’m looking to start a project and I was hoping someone could help me with what sort of technology mix would be best to achieve what I’m after. I guess my priorities are:

• Ease and cost of development
    • Ease and cost of maintainability
    • Speed of the application itself & how well it works

The app is a business directory software that lets users search based on their geographical location and very specific business services. For example, not just bakers nearby, but bakers who do cupcakes with personal messages on top. Want searcher to be able to sort by distance, rating, price, etc. I want to use Google Maps in the app for results listings and to calculate locations and distances etc.

For the businesses, their business will only appear in the results if they have a paid their fee, so will tie into a billing system, with subscription periods and expiry if unpaid. I want them to have a backend where they can select all the services they offer from a list of pre-defined options, set all their contact info, add photos etc. All this information on the backend will affect what search results their business shows up for. I also want them to have a public facing profile page which will take all the info they enter on the backend and present it nicely. Possibly also want to have a calendar plugin option for businesses that take appointments, and allow users to make appointments through the search and business profile pages and show up on the calendar.

Want registered users to be able to leave reviews, save favourite businesses.

Want a messaging system so users can send messages to businesses.

I would also like to develop apps for iOS, Windows phone and Android for this.

I myself am a front-end dev fluent in HTML, CSS & Javascript although I’ve never used a JS framework like Angular or anything. But I don’t want my skills to influence what I should use, I want the best tools for the job. I want to develop this or have it developed rather than an OTS solution, as I know I’ll want lots of specific customisations as I go.

So what would you recommend for languages to build this system in? What frameworks if any? What platform should it be hosted on? Any other relevant information?

Thanks a lot, your help is appreciated.

guru84, May 1, 2015 IP