1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

what software for database management? heidisql?

Discussion in 'Databases' started by leadinmarketing, Oct 27, 2014.

Hey. I currently use MySQL. And always ran queries and made changes through the server's installed phpmyadmin. I wanted to be able to do it locally, with more control and options, so I downloaded the mysql workbench. I haven't touched it much yet....

I am planning on getting to know the ins and outs of postgresql.

I want toknow, what software can I use on my computer (windows AND Linux) to connect to multiple databases(mysql, postgresql, and sqlite) on different servers.

I did a quick search and found HeidiSQL. Is that what people are using? I would prefer something that's cross platform.

I remember watching a video and this dude had something that was exactly what I am looking for, but I never made a note of the name.

leadinmarketing, Oct 27, 2014 IP
  2. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Navicat is well worth the cost if you manage a lot of servers or multiple types of databases. I can tell you first hand that it has paid for itself many times over in the 8 or so years I've been using it.

jestep, Oct 29, 2014 IP
  3. leadinmarketing

leadinmarketing Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yea. After doing a little more research, it seems to be very popular and loved. Just that $799(commercial) price tag is a killer.

leadinmarketing, Oct 29, 2014 IP
  4. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Wow. I didn't realize the price went up that much. I think it was something like $150 when I purchased it. $800 is a bit crazy.

jestep, Oct 31, 2014 IP
  5. zacharooni

zacharooni Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    +1 for HeidiSQL, also DBeaver if you're using Linux.

zacharooni, Nov 9, 2014 IP
  6. bl4ckwolf

bl4ckwolf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Toad for mysql is good also

bl4ckwolf, Nov 12, 2014 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I use sqlyog on windows for mysql and it's brilliant - uses bridge scripts too which means you can use it on shared hosting or client sites without creating a scene. I'm trying to find something for osx but nothing comes close.

sarahk, Nov 12, 2014 IP
  8. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have this on some of my computers and its great. But when I tried to put this on my new laptop, the website comes up as "SQLyog for Windows - 14 days free trial" and its now $99 per license per machine.

The price tag is fine for development companies but not find for most individuals.

matt_62, Nov 12, 2014 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It's about the only software I was happy to pay so much for - purely because it saves me so much time and runs my daily backups. I bought it a million years ago and kept using it after the license expired which they allow, you just can't upgrade. Why I moved from XP to 7 I bought another license and let that expire too. Then my auto backups crapped out and the only way to get it working was to re-license. I figured by now I'd had a ton of value out it so bought the 5 year license. Practically everything else I use is freeware - gimp, netbeans, filezilla.

sarahk, Nov 12, 2014 IP
  10. freelanceDeveloper

freelanceDeveloper Member

Best Answers:
    navicat for mysql = $129 or $199 (depending if you want the data modeling tool included)
    navicat premium = $799

Premium supports all kind of databases, do you really need that since you said you're using mysql at the moment

freelanceDeveloper, Dec 16, 2014 IP
  11. Jordik

Jordik Peon

Best Answers:
    I would rather recommend you to try dbForge Studio for MySQL. It is good for development and administration tasks. Easy to use and have a lot of important functionality.
    Even pricing is affordable for its set of capabilities - 124 $ Pro edition for non commercial use. You may download it for free and see for yourself can this tool be a number one for you or not. Personally I use it for a long time and I am still a big fan of it.

Jordik, Feb 25, 2015 IP
  12. Shyamin Ayesh

Shyamin Ayesh Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm using "HeidiSQL" for control my SQL servers locally, sounds good for me :D

Shyamin Ayesh, Mar 12, 2015 IP
  13. kodekarl

kodekarl Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I've been using Oracle's SQL Developer for many years for Oracle databases. It also works fairly well with MySQL/MariaDB/Percona and Postgres if you install the Java drivers, which is straightforward. This can also be used to create database diagrams. (Using the built-in Data Modeller tool.)

Works quite well, is cross-platform (it's Java) and it's free.

kodekarl, Mar 14, 2015 IP
  14. SalvadorWilliam

SalvadorWilliam Peon

Best Answers:
    The most downloaded software for database management are ms office access, file amker pro, the report viewer etc. You can use any of them.

SalvadorWilliam, Jul 24, 2015 IP