1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What should a copywriter know?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Alfred001, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Bingo!

Spoiltdiva, May 17, 2017 IP
  2. Olivanders

Olivanders Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You should also write as you have something valuable to offer to your customer. Why would they want to buy from you? What can you offer that your competitors can't?
    You must create the desire to buy. The reader must think "I need this for me. This is what I always wanted."
    You must put him at ease, and show him all the improvements he'll experience in his life with your product and all the inconvenients he currently suffer because he doesn't have it now.

Olivanders, May 19, 2017 IP
  3. pgwhalen

pgwhalen Member

Best Answers:
    There are many crucial elements to great copy, but this is what I consider the central theme of effective copy. When I am writing I also recognize that I am more often on the receiving end of a pitch. Nothing makes me tune out faster than the feeling that I'm only valued as a potential dollar sign. I'm certain that a great number of fellow readers feel the same way.

pgwhalen, May 19, 2017 IP
  4. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Copywrite law, unless you like getting sued.

mmerlinn, May 19, 2017 IP
  5. BrookeHarper

BrookeHarper Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You better heed SARubin's advice if you're a copywriting noob who'd like to make it big! He gave some pretty solid advice. (Applauds)

BrookeHarper, May 20, 2017 IP
  6. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here's something more.

To truly understand how to write copy to sell find the sales letters that motivate you to buy the product they market. Then dissect those letters to discover what exactly in them does that motivating. How are they worded and how are the words laid out that makes you want to buy.

When you understand the techniques used in the great letters you understand how to effectively write copy to influence.

JoeSpirit, May 20, 2017 IP
  7. BaskingRock

BaskingRock Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I like SARubin's list.

I would add that you should know grammar as a copywriter. Sure, you don't need to be a master at it, but not knowing basic rules can turn off clients. Grammar is how we communicate effectively. Without knowing it well, you can cause confusion, and with copywriting, you want to be precise.

You might have to understand how to work marketing software. If you manage the copy & optimize it, you should know how to do testing. Not everyone does this though. Some copywriters send over the text files as their only deliverable.

BaskingRock, May 20, 2017 IP