1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What script for online store?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Emperor, Oct 10, 2006.

I’m thinking of starting a new business and would like to know what would be the best option in terms of online store software. Should I use something like oscommerce or should rather I buy something.

Emperor, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  2. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    Have a good look around for some hosting that has an e-commerce package free with it. There's plenty of them. Makes it a great deal easier for you to set up.

Col :)

Cheap SEO Services, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  3. RedruM*

RedruM* Peon

Best Answers:
    don't use vs-asp or digishop.

RedruM*, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  4. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    I’ve got some experience installing scripts so the installation won’t be a problem. What I don’t want is after spending money on a template and coding to discover that it was a bad idea to use oscommerce for whatever reason. I want a reliable option.

Emperor, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  5. sudn3sc3d

sudn3sc3d Active Member

Best Answers:
    Depends..For subscriptions, use aMember (amember.com)..For other items, use OScommerce

sudn3sc3d, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  6. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    What I pretend to do is great a full online store to sell my products. I would require things like customer account creation, add to basket, listings, etc…
    I’m looking for a professional solution not one that isn’t stable or buggy.

Emperor, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  7. RLM

RLM Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Oscommerce for one of my stores and really like it. Best of all it's open source and there are many addon contributions available giving you many nice features. Form what you've posted, it's just what you're looking for.

RLM, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  8. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks
    Have you found the software to be 100% stable? Is it very hard to maintain the site, will I need to hire someone to help me?

Emperor, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  9. RLM

RLM Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, very stable. I was able to sucessfully install it plus many of the addon contributions with very limited knowledge of PHP and MySQL. If you decide to go with it, try installing and configuring it yourself. If you run into any problems Oscommerce has a pretty busy forum which you can get answers from. If all else fails there are some good prgrammers on this forum always looking to make a few bucks.

RLM, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  10. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your replay. I think I’ll stick with oscommerce since so many people recommend it.

Emperor, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  11. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Another vote for osCommerce. Most things you will want to add to it are already done, no need to re-invent wheels. And if you do need something, there's around 1000 freelancers on GetAFreelancer who have plenty of osC experience, or you can easily hack it up yourself. The source is very readable IMO.

T0PS3O, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  12. TwistMyArm

TwistMyArm Peon

Best Answers:
    Does osCommerce still require register_globals to be on? That's the one thing that's kept me away from it :(

TwistMyArm, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  13. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:

I don’t know, what exactly is that?

Emperor, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  14. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I've seen tutorials on how to make it independent.

Register_Globals turned on could be perceived as a potential security risk. Though if you code properly there should be no risk at all.

T0PS3O, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  15. TwistMyArm

TwistMyArm Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep... I'm sure the developers are careful, but whilever it's required, I'm going to steer clear of it. For two reasons, really: the first is the fact that it's a risk but the second is the fact that for a project with it's status, register_globals should no longer be required. If the developers can't seem to get to fixing that kind of an issue, it makes me more worried about the rest of their development 'philosophies', I guess.

One on those things where (to me, at least) it indicates a bigger problem if you get my drift...

Emperor: register_globals essentially defines variables automatically for you if it's passed in via POST or GET in the URL.

The problem being that code may assume that a variable is undefined and hence use it one way but in reality, a bad user may have passed in a value that may force the code to do something else... the biggest problem is that the developer is essentially using variables without necessarily defining them themselves.

TwistMyArm, Oct 11, 2006 IP
    Emperor likes this.
  16. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    osCommerce code does date back as far as 2001 I believe - it's certainly not the most modern code. But that also means it's one of the most tried and tested code bases probably. Their team has some issues, the V3 version was supposed to have been out early this year. But it looks like they are progressing so if you want a really clean, up to date version you might want to hold out a few months. Or indeed try elsewhere.

T0PS3O, Oct 11, 2006 IP
    Emperor likes this.
  17. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    This is the information I wanted to know before I started spending money. Are there big online stores using oscommerce and is it easy to get someone to create a complete professional template for it?

Emperor, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  18. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I know DP members who have revenue in excess of $1m annually and yes, getting professional templates is dead easy. Go on GetAFreelancer.com and spend $2-500 depending on your requirements and you're set for business.

T0PS3O, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  19. tr0nic

tr0nic Active Member

Best Answers:
    I used OS commerce over at my company (which is for sale) at xcessiveperformance.net

Absolutely love the versitility.

tr0nic, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  20. RLM

RLM Peon

Best Answers:
    By the way, here are the contribs that I have installed for a few more features and to help out in the search engines. I would suggest giving these a look at the Osc site:

For SEO:
    Ultimate SEO URLs
    Page Heading Title Better
    Meta Tag Controller
    All Products
    H1 Tags

For Features:
    OT Discount Coupon Codes
    OSC Affiliate
    Supertracker
    Also Purchased
    Whos Online HTTP REFERER