1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What PHP based forum to use?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by mines, Apr 15, 2006.

Hello
    I am developing a new site for a client. He wants the site t o among other things have a forum.

He basically tells me "I am the web guy, I decide what forum to use". I think he should use VB... but that costs money, and only worth it if his forum is going to be suscessfull.

PHPbb forums always get hacked unless you are either lucky or update it constantly. But it is free and lots of support for it. Also look unprofesional.

MyBB, seems good, its free, not sure about secuirty (certainly seems secure), not much support for it really. Lack of themes (and doubt he will want me to make him a custom one. And MyBB themes are harder to make IMO than for example PHPbb)

Simple Machine Forum - quite secure i think? Easy to use i've found. Not used it much though so don't know much about it.

Then theres the non free ones (VB, Invision Board), but I think i'll end up choosing a free one, as it'll seem like a waste of money if the forums arn't popular.

What are your thoughts?
    What would you go with?
    Thanks

mines, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  2. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    iatbm, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  3. mines

mines Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've never heard of punBB. Will have a look now

A big constraint (due to our host) is that the forum should minimise the amount of MySQL conncetions, and if possible keep one connection even over multiple pages.

mines, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  4. FruitMedley Forum Posting

FruitMedley Forum Posting Banned

Best Answers:
    Given what your client wants done with the site, I would suggest either mybb or punbb. They can handle many users, like phpbb, and look different from the regular phpbb boards. There may not be many styles available for them yet, but that may come with time, and as you said your client likely won't want that sort of customization. I have heard mybb is extremely secure, as well.

5. ForumPosts

ForumPosts Peon

Best Answers:
    He can always go with phpBB in the earlier stages of his forum, then convet databases to vB once the community size and income justifies it.

ForumPosts, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  6. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I recommend Mybb. The support is actually very good. It's a small but VERY ACTIVE team. When I post a question I get a team member response in their support forums within 15 minutes or sooner normally. Security seems good and on updates I simply upload the new files in a few seconds. Mybb has very little need for mods unlike phpbb or even pun. I do like Pun but I would only recommend it for a very lite forums. It has no Private Message system. It's basically a small footprint forums that's very stable and secure but ultimately featureless.

As you state..VB costs money. Mybb imho is the closest you will get for free.

btw-Templating Mybb isn't very difficult. As a matter of fact they have good tools and help for it. They have a revert button for all the images. So if you screw them up while expirementing they can be fixed in a click. That makes it rather useful and simple imho.

RectangleMan, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  7. Richie_Ni

Richie_Ni Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    PHPBB isnt bad,why not use it?
    Also it's free!

Richie_Ni, Apr 16, 2006 IP
  8. mines

mines Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am never going to use PHPbb again to be honest. It is so insecure. Always gets hacked. And generally looks quite n00bish imo.
    I think i'll use MyBB on it.

mines, Apr 16, 2006 IP
  9. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mystique, Apr 16, 2006 IP
  10. mines

mines Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Their first line on that page ...
    "Welcome to VUBB. The only interactive forum where not only administrators fix the bugs and add new features, but the users can too!"

Put me right off. (The bit about users fixing bugs ... so meants users have more rights than users on other forums...and there are plent of bugs to be fixed)

LOL.

mines, Apr 16, 2006 IP
  11. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    But it does look kind of easy on the eyes ... You just cannot download it :)

iatbm, Apr 16, 2006 IP