1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What Not To Do For Sales Page

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by blogaboutnothin, Dec 20, 2009.

Here is an example of an unsuccessful sales page:

http://memberprods.com/

The top of the site tells people nothing about what the site is about. It just claims it is the best membership site. After that, you see prices. Audience do not know what the site is about, and prices are already mentioned.

Then, the person writes an article starting with, "Have you wasted your time and hard earned money on the latest and greatest products only to find they do nothing of what they say?" - What latest and greatest products is this guy talking about? I still don't know what this site is about.

After that, the guy continues on to tell people that this membership site is the best on the internet.

Half way down the middle, he finally tells you that he will teach you all the ways to make money online and succeed. Now you finally know what this is all about.

"Introducing Memberprods The First site of It's Kind Running various Desktop programs and tools directly online." - Uppercasing and lowercasing on and off.

Down at the bottom, he tells you what the site will offer, and one of them is a sales page creator. Would you trust this person to make sales pages?

The order button looks like regular graphics that blend in with the site.

New site and lack of credibility, and this person does not offer trial offers.

blogaboutnothin, Dec 20, 2009 IP
  2. JamesKPowers

JamesKPowers Peon

Best Answers:
    It also lacks any proper formatting, credibility and actually showing the benefits of what he's selling. You're right this salesletter needs ALOT of work.

JamesKPowers, Dec 20, 2009 IP
  3. echtwel

echtwel Peon

Best Answers:
    hahahaha
    thanks for the laugh :D

echtwel

echtwel, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  4. jeffdean9297

jeffdean9297 Guest

Best Answers:
    Hahah where did you even find this?? This is amazing, thanks for the good laugh.

jeffdean9297, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  5. nicky 1

nicky 1 Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL where did you find it ?!?!?! go figure people ... thank for the laugh.

nicky 1, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  6. User123-2009

User123-2009 Peon

Best Answers:
    Very helpful information.

User123-2009, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  7. plusplustutoring

plusplustutoring Active Member

Best Answers:
    This site looks like a blatant scam.

plusplustutoring, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  8. biglegg

biglegg Peon

Best Answers:
    What a laugh, i wonder if he has made any sales, i hope not !

biglegg, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  9. Coach Jeff

Coach Jeff Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I do hope that all of you people laughing are very successful marketers that became instant, overnight successes the minute you started marketing online. Just remember, everyone starts out new and perhaps this person doesn't have the vast marketing experience that all of you people laughing at the site do.

It's too easy to laugh at other people I guess. Hope it makes you feel better about yourself though.

This isn't aimed at the 1st two posters, who actually offered constructive criticism and something of value other than "LOL".

Coach Jeff, Dec 21, 2009 IP
    JKhoury likes this.
  10. manilodisan

manilodisan Peon

Best Answers:
    Fully agree. At least he's trying which makes him better than 90% of the people browsing forums and buying ebooks. Remember that before laughing of him.

manilodisan, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  11. blogaboutnothin

blogaboutnothin Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't have a problem with him trying. I do have a problem with him teaching others how to make sales pages when he can't even make his own properly.

blogaboutnothin, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  12. WD Mino

WD Mino Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Folks,

Hey thanks a lot for the pointers. i think some of you misunderstand .
    the sales letter creator is a program i do not instruct in it i do however instruct on many things and am quite good at it. such as product creation web design how to get the site up and running password protected etc and then how to get traffic. see i am tired of people ripping others off who are just starting out

i was a little taken aback when i saw a thread mentioning my site but i took the useful things and am redoing it this is my very first sales letter for a membership site and i did not want it to look like everyone elses letter for one thing most of them are hypnotic in some sort of way and i don't want people making decisions based on some sneaky tactic

For the person who said it looks like a scam i would be awful careful if i were you . nothing about this site reflects that opinion and i for one got awful pissed off reading that especially when it is anti scam completely hence starting it up. i got ripped off now after 8 months or so of learning researching and working my tail off i finally put it up.

as for the rest i appreciate the suggestions my new sales letter will be up later but the one you mentioned was only up for about an hr it was revised but now i understand a little bit about what needs to be there so i have been trying to do it nice. once i know how to do it then i can help others why did i not hire a copywriter? because i did not want to.
    i choose to learn on my own being autistic i am able to do so much much faster then most .

anyways thanks a lot for this thread it is neat to see people talking at least memberprods is getting heardof and you guys had some good advice .

-WD:D

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
    WD Mino, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  13. Onguardia.com

Onguardia.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, the sales letter is like so many others not getting to the point and being vague. I think many are vague on purpose to try to give you a tease.

I suppose gettong straight to the point is another way to do it. So many ways.

Onguardia.com, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  14. woddle

woddle Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    To all the people `laughing` at this sales page, you got no clue what the conversions are like on this page. For all you know this could be the best converting page in the world. You don't know if he has tested it left right and center to see what converts best. Before you starting laughing at someone and calling them an idiot, do some research and think before you post. Some of the most ugliest sales pages are some of the top converters, sales pages have miss spellings in them for a reason because it has been tested. I am not saying the guy has done all of the above but still, stop assuming because it makes you look like a complete twat. Offer some advice to him, since he is in the thread, don't put him down. All of us are here to learn, not to get slagged off, atleast he done something.

woddle, Jan 5, 2010 IP
  15. WD Mino

WD Mino Peon

Best Answers:
    I actually joined this forum because I saw this thread posted in my google results.

I was very shocked to see someone doing this but then I realized it was the same guy I told off in the warrior forum. I was not going to respond at all until I saw someone referring to my site as a scam. that was /is ridiculous.

I wish I could say my sales page converted at a huge percentage but it did not.

I now have just done something completely unique I just told the truth. I will see now how that works.

Even though I did not know how to write a sales page I do know how to help others get started properly and I have 5 yrs of offline experience and 1 yr online

I do have a few members and have since gotten some very positive reviews. however I did appreciate the fact Memberprods was at least being heard of and it is a free backlink:D

-WD

WD Mino, Jan 5, 2010 IP
  16. Carlx

Carlx Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi WD Mino,

I have to agree with what people are saying, that it isnt a very good sales page, even now, after you have changed things up a little.

Remember that "above the fold" is the most important place on your page, it literally is make or break.

You have big writing saying "If You Want To Succeed... Then I Want To Help You....."

Now you know that a lot of product owners have big bold text in that position, you know you need to as well, however i don't think you understand what its meant to be doing.

I remember watching one of Frank Kerns videos last year, talking about sales pages, it made a lot of sense so i will try to pass on the stuff i remember and i think you could use.

So firstly, above the fold, that big bold writing is there to grab your attention, it needs to convey exactly what this page and product are going to do for the user because let's face it, most of us browse websites for seconds, not minutes, so you need to keep them locked in on you and your product for as long as you can, because the longer they are the more they like what they are hearing and it follows that they are more likely to purchase from you.

Breaking up the text more, you need to break up the back stories text more, then do the next step...

Next step following the bold text route, following the title above the fold, you need to give your back story or whatever you want to say in more detail.
    Braking these huge story texts up is essential, most of us skim read, if i look at your sales page as a potential buyer, then i see your title then i really dont read much further, i am a simple and lazy creature as are we all ... most of the time.
    As i mentioned above, break up the story text, you do this by placing bold break text, like the title but not as big.
    What this kind of text is there for is telling a bite sized story, your sales page is based on your backstory or whatever it is your trying to convey to the buyer, but when somebody skim reads they don't see your backstory, so these large text area's you're using to break up the story are there to tell that story in as few lines as possible.

In short, if you read just the big bold writing from the top of the page to the bottom, it should tell you a brief sales story/pitch, it needs to convey the most important aspects of what you're offering so a buyer can skim from one bold line to the next until they hit the bottom and buy or choose to read your more in depth sales pitch..

----

I think i have completely failed at trying to pass on what i would do and what other like frank kern teach, but thats because i'm not a teacher and i write in the same way my mind works .... which isn't exactly efficiently.

On this i have to agree with you, the fact people are talking about your product at all is a positive, even if it is currently in a negative light.

As you improve your sales page people will start saying, well WD Mino started off as somebody who couldn't sell a $5 note for $10 in quarters! Then shortly after you turn things around people will see that you have succeeded and it will only help enhance your reputation. and your sales.

Good luck with this project and with your future endeavors.

Carlx, Jan 5, 2010 IP
  17. WD Mino

WD Mino Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tips I appreciate it.
    -WD

WD Mino, Jan 5, 2010 IP
  18. yoes_san

yoes_san Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't like page's design and its format at all.

But I do know one site that use similar design on purpose, and got very good result with it.
    It all depends on page contents and who you target the sales page to I guess.

yoes_san, Jan 5, 2010 IP
  19. ErikJ

ErikJ Peon

Best Answers:
    its an ugly sales page but he is at least trying to be a real person. I wouldn't join but nowadays people want to connect with people and at least he is doing that showing who he is

but does need work

ErikJ, Jan 5, 2010 IP
  20. Dr. Carey Nathan

Dr. Carey Nathan Guest

Best Answers:
    This is a great thread. In reality there are many more "what not to dos" than there are "to dos".

Hope to see more quality responses here.

Dr. Carey Nathan, Jan 5, 2010 IP