1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What Makes You Different?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by cd928, Oct 27, 2008.

1. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    And you are slightly incorrect. Not even twins but only clones can have the same DNA profile. But I digress. Sorry, been watching too much shows on Discovery Channel and Nat Geo, and even more episodes of CSI. :D

- Cedric

cd928, Oct 29, 2008 IP
  2. ms2134

ms2134 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    OK, you win.

I thought about that once i had posted it.

Both me and my brother have exact DNA, as all indentical twins do, but our fingerprints are diffrent.

I am computer based, SEO, Web Design, Website Hosting, Company Plans, Computer Repairs, ECT ; and my brother is more sporty. I.E. Football (Soccer), Running and Walking.

Everyone is unique, and like i said before, never let someone put you down,.. You are who you are, and that is good.

Hold onto that!

Best of Luck,
    ~ Mike

ms2134, Oct 29, 2008 IP
  3. marlonpowell

marlonpowell Active Member

Best Answers:
    I thought of writing only after our Content Writer left her job!! So nothing uniqueness has grown as yet, I suppose; Would reply you after 3 more months - when my articles are cached. Bookmarking your thread anyways, good question to reply.

marlonpowell, Oct 30, 2008 IP
  4. exoticpublishing

exoticpublishing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Doesn't mean you think the same. You may know each other very well, & have similar interests, but you are still 2 individual human beings with different spirits.

There are many identical twins who are also very different in their tastes, actions, personalities, etc.

I came in on this thread looking for a copywriter & had to comment b/c I understood what anu was saying even though I feel he/she needs to really edit their posts.

Thanks

Michelle :)

exoticpublishing, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  5. ms2134

ms2134 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed,

I am different in the way i think, and act.

I do things without a care in the world and do not mind if i die today or tommorrow.
    To be, Life is another adverture and death is just the carry on part after.

I shall continue to work, but as happy as i am, I do it without a care in the world.

Mike

ms2134, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  6. exoticpublishing

exoticpublishing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good for you Mike :)

Michelle

exoticpublishing, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  7. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Some of my good qualities.

1] I am intelligent and use common sense often. ;)
    2] I learn and understand new things and concepts rather fast.
    3] I have knowledge of many things and fields. [Jack of all trades]
    4] I am creative and imaginative.
    5] I am good at generating lots of ideas.

All of these help in various ways while writing articles if I remember to use them. :D

lightless, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  8. Nicholas Yong

Nicholas Yong Peon

Best Answers:
    Great thread/question.

1) Writing is a business. It's not creative. I write to sell.
    2) "How can I better position my client in the hearts and minds of their clients?"
    3) Formulate and develop a course of action
    4) Hand off tasks that someone else can do (better, cheaper, faster)
    5) Never cease to market

Nicholas Yong, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  9. FDC

FDC Peon

Best Answers:
    I find that having a flair for analogies and metaphors helps quite a bit. It helps bring perspective into the piece as well as utilizing a bit of creativity.

FDC, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  10. michaelgrisso

michaelgrisso Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Hey cd. If you want a clear answer on unique I might be about as good as it gets. When I first started writing online I saw all this serious, technical, no contractions, mumbo jumbo that could bore a wall to tears. So low and behold I took the other route.

The kind where you have a little fun, still be professional and informative, but don't worry about correct sentence structure and what goes where. We live in a world where when we talk our sentences are fragmented, abbreviated, and even the "g" is losing face from the "ing".

A tone of voice that would let you know how it is, without being disrespectful, serious with a sprinkle of in depth thought behind it all, and all while we are sitting down, hangin' out together somewhere chit-chatting about the world.

Keep in mind I can't do it all the time because there are some clients who need general information without all the flair, but in my mind if you can have a person relate to an article like a conversation then the results and conversion rates are becoming unbelievable. Especially for affiliate and networking programs.

I actually turn down work most of the time if I can't write this way, but some of my beginning clientale I still do some serious, technical work for because of loyalty. Hope this was the type of answer you were looking for :)

Cheers~

michaelgrisso, Nov 5, 2008 IP
  11. Duratec

Duratec Banned

Best Answers:
    experience is still the difference in the game.

Duratec, Nov 10, 2008 IP
  12. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you Duratec. But what if you were just starting out? For sure, you can't use experience as your selling point. :) And sometimes experience doesn't really translate to the quality of job that you do. So how would set yourself apart?

cd928, Nov 10, 2008 IP
  13. Li Weng

Li Weng Peon

Best Answers:
    I can simplify complex concepts. That's my strength.

Li Weng, Nov 11, 2008 IP
  14. michaelgrisso

michaelgrisso Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    That's a good question cd. I think in the end it comes down to being able to relate to a particular audience. The name of the game is interest. You could be a writer for 15 years online, but if it's one dimensional then that's all you can offer.

For instance if you are writing about a topic that involves an older crowd, they aren't going to be receptive the same as you writing a topic on World of Warcraft for teenagers. However, if you have the ability to grab that interest in order for them to take the next step then the selling points are endless.

michaelgrisso, Nov 11, 2008 IP
  15. silvatungfox

silvatungfox Peon

Best Answers:
    I suppose one thing that might make me unique (and this is actually doubtful) would be my understanding of P.O.V. and how to use it to the best advantage. Also my experiences are far different than the average person, having done a Toby Tyler in real life... being a follower of the Tao, having chosen paths that others usually avoided has given me a different perspective.

Now that said, to comment on the exact dna match, ms2134 . unless you have done everything together then you are different in that you have not had the same experiences, and even if you did everything together, you might (and probably did) have different responses to the same stimuli. Thus making you different by perspective.

I find it amusing when people base their self worth on accidents of birth instead of their accomplishments.

silvatungfox, Nov 11, 2008 IP
  16. hardycapo

hardycapo Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not always quality unfortunately. It's how you market yourself. It's not always the best books that get published, for instance. But celebrities who write books get them published.

hardycapo, Nov 12, 2008 IP
  17. EspressoChick

EspressoChick Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    This is a great thread, because everyone has something that gives them a USP!

I totally agree with the writer who would say they were not right for certain projects and pass them by. I know enough to know I can't write about everything. Like I won't touch a medical topic because those are true deep knowledge topics and the idea of someone reading my article with a toothache at 3am and following the directions.....I think there is so much that can go wrong, there is so much research you can potentially do on a medical topic! lol

I care about my clients' success. I build relationships with my clients and get to know them. This helps me write better articles and/or copy for them. The more I can get into their head: the better I can represent their website or product.

I have a strong intuitive sense about creating copy that will keep people reading. When I write, I don't think about the tons of people that come to the website. I imagine that one person sitting there and really make that visualization rich and deep. Then I think, "How can I get this person to stay at this website? What do I say about the client or product that will keep them reading?" :)

I take projects I can get excited about. I think this goes back to having a connection with the client, but I put passion into my writing. It is a good sign if I can get just as excited about your website idea as you can!

I think the last thing is that I look for clients that like my writing style. I don't write the classic long sales letter. lol But I have written sales letters in a more soft sell approach and I've had a client that just loves them. It is just my "two cents" -- but some clients want one thing and they'll find it with one type of writer and others want something else and they'll find that with a different type of writer. Different strokes and all that.

That's my USP in a nutshell...a long nutshell....lol :)

EspressoChick, Nov 15, 2008 IP
  18. kpaul

kpaul Peon

Best Answers:
    I think my creativity is what makes my writing different. Nice thread.

kpaul, Nov 15, 2008 IP
  19. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    Which is actually my reason for starting this thread since I was struggling with my USP at the time. I had one, but I found that it was still too vague. While you, fleshed out yours with a humongous a nutshell. lol You have yours well put. :)

cd928, Nov 16, 2008 IP
  20. Jonny Fusion

Jonny Fusion Peon

Best Answers:
    This is quite simple; passion and knowledge.

For example, my press releases on electronic music get published in newspapers across Ireland and websites across Ireland, the UK and Europe because I have an indepth knowledge of what I am writing about and as my employer says,

"You're enthusiasm shines through in your writing"

:):):)

Jonny Fusion, Nov 16, 2008 IP