1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What makes People Post?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Dubz, Jul 24, 2007.

I'm just curious. I think to build successful forum you need others other than the moderator to start lots of on point threads. If not most come look around and nothing. First timer's I'd say are more likely to reply to a relevant post than start a new one.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get threads started?

Rob

Dubz, Jul 24, 2007 IP
  2. etali

etali Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You could try posting under user names that aren't a mod / admin to make your forum look busy, at least in the early days. Competitions can help too, and requiring registration to access other parts of the site that people will really want to access might encourage participation - but you risk driving people away if you force them to register. It's a tough balance.

etali, Jul 24, 2007 IP
  3. ThreeGuineaWatch

ThreeGuineaWatch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Unless they have a specific question (usually a plea for help) most people prefer to react to what is already on your forum before they post new threads. That is why it is very important to round off many threads with open-ended questions.

Also, another way to encourage participation is to create an account or two and earmark them as "dickhead accounts" - and use them to simulate the sort of people who want endless clarification on small, inconsequential matters; they will ask lots of questions like "what do you mean by..." or "in a previous post you said..." or take issue with people on often insignificant matters. This can generate good responses depending on the type of forum. ;)

ThreeGuineaWatch, Jul 24, 2007 IP
  4. JPRuss

JPRuss Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally, I love the adsense revenue sharing forums like here on DP and a few others.

I don't get rich or anything, it's just a nice feature that if I write a good post, and lots of people view it, I get a little reward.

Here's my thinking:

I have a really good idea (content) that I want to share with others. I can:

1) Post it to my blog (but what if I have no readers)

2) Post it to a high traffic and relevent forum that I frequent that shares revenue with me

3) Post it to a high traffic and relevent forum that I frequent that has no revenue sharing

4) Post it to an unfrequented low traffic site where no one is likely to find it (not likely)

Think about what situation you may be in:

1) High Traffic but low posters (need ways to convert traffic into posters)
    2) Low traffic and low posters (need a way to build more traffic)
    3) High Traffic and High Posters (are you monetizing it?)
    4) Low Traffic but High posters (do niche marketing)

Hope this helps.

JPRuss, Jul 24, 2007 IP
  5. uniqueasitis

uniqueasitis Peon

Best Answers:
    Use a php or asp script to automate the process and you can have a forum that looks as busy as DP. I am thinking of doing this myself. Big money to be made from forums. And then they get indexed and you get posts in the top results. Next, just advertise your website on them and boom. Traffic swarm!

uniqueasitis, Jul 24, 2007 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The problem with automated posts is that the Original Posters of the thread tend to not reply, which can be a real turn off for potential 'long term' members.

I know I'd not stick around on a forum that was full of RSS feeds, or regurgitated yahoo.answers content....

Yeah, I may click into it from a search engine, I may register and possibly post a time or two, but a dead forum is a dead forum regardless of how many posts it has. Once I figure out there are no actual people other then me there I'll likely delete the bookmark and find a real forum.

To ultimately be successful with a forum a COMMUNITY must be established.

Friends, family, even paid posters are all better then generated content, as at least humans are more inclined to respond to any questions and/or comments.

Qryztufre, Jul 24, 2007 IP
  7. Dubz

Dubz Peon

Best Answers:
    First thanks to everyone who has replied so far. Alot of good stuff I'll be keeping in mind. Thanks again!

Speaking of which, if anyone here has a blog and signs up and helps me out on my forum with posts and threads I"ll give you a free listing as long as your blog is active :D. (Sorry just taking some suggestions from this thread!).

http://www.bloggeries.com/forum

Suddenly lots are poping up. Some got mentioned on larger blogs and are happening; mine is an older one and I don't want it to get left behind.

I do agree the key is to make it like a community. Somwhere that people feel they belong and are appreciated. Sounds cheesy but it's true :D

Dubz, Jul 24, 2007 IP
  8. bpb2221

bpb2221 Peon

Best Answers:
    Dubz, I would like to take you up on your offer of posts and link exchange

bpb2221, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  9. orbit7693

orbit7693 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Some people hire posters, they give them so much for each post, and a little more for starting topics. That gets people there, and from there you could advertise and get non paid posters to join. Eventually you could fire the posters, and have a fully running forum.

orbit7693, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  10. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    nice thread here, really learnt a bunch, thanks u guys for sharing.

My tips: create a competition. top posters of the month get 100$ etc.

toby, Jul 28, 2007 IP
  11. Smithers

Smithers Banned

Best Answers:
    If the forum looks busy people will join and post and maybe offer something other sites don't offer.

Smithers, Jul 28, 2007 IP
  12. buffalo

buffalo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah. Do that and let me know! I'll come and win that $100! :D

One more tip: When a new member does join and create a new post, make sure you respond to it. Agree with them, add more information, and ask them a few questions about the topic. Make them feel like they are adding something valuable and they will come back for more. (It almost sounds like I am giving dating advice!) :p

buffalo, Jul 28, 2007 IP
  13. Dubz

Dubz Peon

Best Answers:
    It is good advice that is what i've been doing I'm just working on making my last sentence more open ended :)

Rob

Dubz, Jul 28, 2007 IP
  14. ThatForumPlace

ThatForumPlace Peon

Best Answers:
    There is one other option - find a 'mall' type of forum like my own. This is somewhat similar to the standard ad-revenue sharing that you see here on DP, but constructed entirely differently. The basic concept is you create your forum WITHIN a larger, existing forum that already has hundreds of members, is active, and well indexed by Google. Your own adsense code is applied to all of the ads within your own section and you keep 100% of your own ad revenue. The benefit to you is that you're not starting from scratch, and the traffic isn't costing you a thing. The benefit to the master forum is that it gains a little more content. It's win win for everybody, and it doesn't cost a thing. PM me if you're interested.

ThatForumPlace, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  15. Cylon

Cylon Peon

Best Answers:
    do you have any dating advice? if so, post it on a forum and that will get people responding.

Cylon, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  16. buffalo

Best Answers:
    Haha! I have! Here and here... That's too funny, cylon!

buffalo, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  17. Cylon

Cylon Peon

Best Answers:
    so you have. But I guess I was wrong, I don't see a lot of responses to either of your advice posts. Lets give it some time and see if that increases.

Cylon, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  18. Dubz

Dubz Peon

Best Answers:
    Something I've realized and well I'm sorta like that as well is it's best if the threads are started by anyone other than super admin's :) I find people more hesitant to correct or chime in when the OP is the admin.

What are your thoughts?

Dubz, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Be friendly and personable and the long standing members will treat you like a regular member... though this can have it's down sides when you have to actually wear that fancy admin hat.

Maybe make a second account, start the threads with that, then reply as the admin?

It's a fine line really... the admin MUST be active on the forum, and the admin must also be a MEMBER first...but the admin must also be an admin. Find that line and walk it proudly!
    Q

Qryztufre, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  20. buffalo

Best Answers:
    And as admin you have twice the job. Not only do you have to stay active with posting and admin functions, but you'll have to be promoting and monetizing the forum also. If you are lucky, your mods will do some advertising for you, but they probably won't be selling ad space, unless you are giving them a cut of the sales profit.

buffalo, Jul 31, 2007 IP