1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What makes a good Moderator?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Qryztufre, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

These do seem to be the norm of what people are saying makes a good mod, I was going to quote all of them, but meh, who wants to read the same quote over and over again....

Though even with those being the best qualities of a mod, how do you guys go about picking them? Do you ask your other mods to nominate someone or just pick on your own and hope for the best?

Then again, I guess that this has been covered over in this thread: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=9581300

Personally, I retain the final say, but allow full discussion (and even a democratic vote) before I give a promotion... *shrug*

Qryztufre, Nov 5, 2008 IP
  2. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I find allowing members to vote for moderators is a bad idea. It's a choice you should make.

RectangleMan, Nov 6, 2008 IP
  3. Ancient Dragon

Ancient Dragon Peon

Best Answers:
    The board where I am a mod, the administrator asks the mods for nominations. We nominate people who we believe would make good mods from their past posting experience. Then the admins make a choice(s) from that list.

Ancient Dragon, Nov 9, 2008 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Oh, no, not MEMBERS, a se;ect group of special members that I call founders. The group of people that I trust with the site (and who also happened to have given enough cash to get the site off the ground). Fellow moderators also give important input on who can be the next mod... but no, not regular members. It's not that I trust them, but, erm, maybe it is, lol. Kind of like the popular vote vs. the electoral collage. ;)

Qryztufre, Nov 11, 2008 IP
  5. youngboy222

youngboy222 Banned

Best Answers:
    that sure sums up most of the things

youngboy222, Nov 11, 2008 IP
  6. popowich

popowich Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A good moderator need not be a top poster.

A good moderator is generally someone who makes a positive and meaningful contribution to the site and who is knowledgeable in the topic of the forums.

-Raymond

popowich, Nov 11, 2008 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.