1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What makes a good Moderator?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Qryztufre, Oct 24, 2008.

There are several threads here asking for new mods for this or that board, and the best way to get a mod... but what has not really been asked, is WHAT MAKES A GOOD MOD? and that got me to thinking...just what makes a good moderator in your opinion?

I'm all on the technical side of it, as heh, that IS why I've been a mod for all the places I've modded at. I know the site, it's members, and how most things around place work... though I'm not much of an expert in the fields of the forums I've modded at, in general yeah and I may come up with a gem now and again, but most of my posts are simply pretty rocks Though, knowing your way around the moderation options is simply a perk rather then a prerequisite.

It also helps that I am (or rather was) on 24/7 so could act fast if action was needed. Though, that is no longer the case *sigh* I do think that a mod needs to be around, at least a few times a week. My lack of being around as much as I used to be is one of the main reasons I am asking what makes a good mod.

I think that being level headed, fair, and all that is most certainly a plus, and dislike IRON FIST moderation. In fact, I may be the extreme on this, as I am more prone to inaction then action...but IMHO, fairness is the real key (no favoritism, or when there is a conflict of interest I prefer mods to pass the issue to a more neutral mod).

Expertise in a field is also a plus, but again not truly needed, though for here, someone should be at least familiar with the ins and outs of at least one aspect of the forum, as that is just helpful...

Either way, what makes a good mod in your opinion?

Qryztufre, Oct 24, 2008 IP
  2. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Temperment
    Understandig of the site policies and not reinterpreting them
    Ability to respect all members
    Good grammar
    Objectiveness
    Fairness
    Maturity

I think that sums it up for me.

RectangleMan, Oct 24, 2008 IP
  3. SearchBuster

SearchBuster Peon

Best Answers:
    Integrity & Fairness

SearchBuster, Oct 25, 2008 IP
  4. 1-3-3-7

1-3-3-7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Fairness & commitment.

Although there's several other factors but those are the two key factors IMO. And it's hard to find someone that does the two. As for knowing the topic, that helps out a lot but like you said it's possible to a be a mod. without actually knowing a lot about the topic. I've done this before as well, however it makes the experience a lot more enjoyable if the mod. at least has interest in the topic even if he/she does not know much about it in terms of expertise.

Another thing is good grammar, poepl woh tyep liek dis r hard 2 taek sersly ya kno?

1-3-3-7, Oct 25, 2008 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  5. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A well respected user.

Eg, not someone with 10 posts who says 'plz help ! i want to sell my site plz !'

peter_anderson, Oct 25, 2008 IP
  6. gemini181

gemini181 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is a really good list, just add "frequently online."

gemini181, Oct 25, 2008 IP
  7. Calon

Calon Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed, and add Commitment as 1-3-3-7 said.

Calon, Oct 25, 2008 IP
  8. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Trustworthy <---- MOST important
    Intelligent
    Level headed (thick skinned)
    Fair
    No life (online often)

Tearabite, Oct 25, 2008 IP
  9. traitorworld

traitorworld Banned

Best Answers:
    Commitment is what i would ask for first before hiring a mod on my forum.
    Responsibility - He should be working as if he's the owner of the forum, promoting, interacting with members and checking the content on a regular basis.
    Patience - In dealing with irate members
    And lastly, Online presence!

traitorworld, Oct 25, 2008 IP
  10. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Commitment is a good one to add. It's something I ask on my applications about how much time they can commit.

RectangleMan, Oct 25, 2008 IP
  11. P2Host

P2Host Guest

Best Answers:
    Someone who has helped bring your site to where it is now.

Your dedicated Members

P2Host, Oct 25, 2008 IP
  12. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would have to disagree there.. I made the mistake of selecting some dedicated members to be moderators - even though they did not all posses the other qualities posted above..
    I ended up firing all but a few... a total bag of hurt..

Tearabite, Oct 25, 2008 IP
  13. buffalo

buffalo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Different things make people good mods.

Some mods can be good because they are experts at whichever forum software that you are using.
    Sometimes they are good because they are experts in the topic of your forum.
    Sometimes they are good just because they have a magnetic personality that draws people in and makes your forum into a community instead of just a bulletin board.

But no matter where their strengths lie, they have to be intelligent enough to make quality posts, they need to have the time required to spend doing their job in the forum, and they need to be someone that the general members can like and/or respect.

If you can find all of that in one person, then they should be admining their own forum instead of moderating at yours. ;)

buffalo, Oct 25, 2008 IP
    jackass2007 and 010081 like this.
  14. joebert

joebert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can definately agree with that.
    Everyone makes mistakes, but not everyone is willing to own up to them.

joebert, Oct 26, 2008 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    A LOT of good posts in this thread. Thanks guys (and gals)!

Dedicated members are a plus I think, though I would agree that not ALL of them are worthy of a promotion. I have a few members that have been around from the beginning, but I hardly trust them with their own threads, let alone the threads of the entire memberbase :)

Qryztufre, Oct 28, 2008 IP
  16. ksb2050

ksb2050 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A moderator is a long standing member that has good reputation within the community. He/she can answer questions by any level of user who asks - and can in turn ask questions when they do not know an answer (acknowledges that they do not know it all). He/she follows the community's rules. He/she enforces the community's rules in a fair and level manner - will not lash out or be cruel. He/she follows the commands of his/her superiors (IE: Admins) and provides feedback as needed. When they do not agree with an administrative command they should privately ask for clarification and state their view on the command (admin do not know it all). He/she should be active in posting, events, and other community doing's. He/She should be prepared to step up when the admin is absent (vacation lol). Leadership skills, personality, knowledge, and intellect is a must. Oh...and they must have good language skills (post in good english, with good grammar).

;) There 'ya go - there's my definition!

ksb2050, Oct 28, 2008 IP
  17. ms2134

ms2134 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe that being a mod, means that you should look at your job as a hobbie aswel, something you enjoy doing...

Know your place on the board, be polite to members, (New and Old), Help resolve disputes or forum issues.

Look for SPAM and help remove.

Be respectful and overall, be a good friend.

~ Mike

ms2134, Oct 29, 2008 IP
  18. Luq

Luq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A mod should be dedicated to the forum and also spend a lot of time online so that he can act fast on those nasty spammy threads, he should also take part in conversation whenever he can, he should also be polite yet make sure rules are followed strictly.

Luq, Oct 29, 2008 IP
  19. ms2134

ms2134 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Much agreed, i am a mod at Geek Point Forums and i spend a lot of time online with members, posts and SPAM , ect and work there basicly.

I like being a mod, it shows that i have respect for what i do.

~ Mike

ms2134, Oct 29, 2008 IP
  20. MrHarper

MrHarper Guest

Best Answers:
    Good grammar
    Sense of Humour
    Known & Respected
    Mature
    Active, not a rule breaker, but not a suck-up either.

MrHarper, Oct 29, 2008 IP