1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What makes a domain name valuable?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Rakenson, Jul 26, 2017.

I am relatively new to the domain world and I've been trying to get into the buying and selling of domain names. However, I am still finding it quite difficult in figuring out which domain names are the most valuable and the ones that aren't. I found a few that I thought were quite valuable and yet they turned out to not be worth that much. I know it is very difficult to find a valuable domain name but I was wondering if I could get some information on what makes a domain name valuable from the many that have success in this market. Thank you in advance for the responses!

Rakenson, Jul 26, 2017 IP
  2. VirtualHelp4U

VirtualHelp4U Peon

Best Answers:
    There are different things that make a domain name valuable from being a .com, pronounceable, short and memorable etc. Domains that have highly searched keywords in them, domains that are easy to remember and pronounce are easier to turn into a brand. Domains that would get natural or organic traffic also makes the domain more valuable.

VirtualHelp4U, Jul 27, 2017 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Look also at the domain's history

Was the site
    • good/awful?
    • adsense approved or banned?
    • blacklisted on email spam filters or ok?
    • backlinks?
    • used as MFA?
    • used to spam/phish?
    • used on a website that might be distasteful to others? That neo-nazi group that used the domain last year might put off buyers this year.

sarahk, Jul 27, 2017 IP
  4. Rakenson

Rakenson Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the great responses! I hadn't thought of the domain's history before and I'm going to check my current domains to see if they have any bad history. That might be the case and the reason they are not selling.

Rakenson, Jul 28, 2017 IP
  5. DanielBlue

DanielBlue Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    A domain is always worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. If people don’t see value they will not buy.

From what you write it looks to me like you want to trade domains? If so let’s say there are guys named Toni and they own restaurants. Chances are high they would buy tonisrestaurant.com because it makes sense. Or Barbies who own flowershops would buy barbiesflowershop.com…

I personally, if opening a web shop about shoes would not care much about the domain name and would take one for the regular standard price only because search engines do not value EMD’s (Exact Match Domains) that much anymore. E.g. whatevershoes.com for $9 and done!

DanielBlue, Jul 28, 2017 IP
  6. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Domain names can be categorized into 2 categories: keyword domains and brandable domains. Premium keyword domain names will always have value but you will find that most of the good ones have already been registered. Brandable names can be hit and miss.

dcristo, Jul 28, 2017 IP
  7. Spartan14

Spartan14 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well its not much think but of course its very good if you find one related to your keyword and its must to be short and nice for people to remember

Spartan14, Jul 29, 2017 IP
  8. Flint NIger

Flint NIger Active Member

Best Answers:
    i dont prefer this domain resellership, this is not right,
    actual value of the domain is very cheap,
    but you are just buying and reselling it for 1000 time price,
    is this a Good Business ?

Flint NIger, Jul 29, 2017 IP
  9. daica85

daica85 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think there're many factors that make a domain valuable, that's called premium domain. Such as these below:

Have amount of traffic: Premium domains usually receive hundreds or even thousands of traffic daily. Especially for generic domains.
    Easy to remember: Usually they’re very easy to remember due to it’s nice, dictionary or exact match keyword.
    Easy to spell: It’s short, brandable or dictionary word so it’s very easy to spell and pronounce
    Have better brand image: Premium domains convey an image of prestige and added credibility, that have a better chance to increase sales or leads
    Better in SERPs: Many EMDs (exact match premium domains) have a better chance to get on top positions in search engine ranking with the keyword they contain.
    Market trend & Investment potential: You can invest in a trending premium domain in a specific market and then resell it later with a higher price for a profit.
    And many others that related directly to your business and market.

Hope this helps.

daica85, Jul 31, 2017 IP
  10. Rakenson

Rakenson Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for all the responses! They were very helpful and I have a much clearer picture on what a valuable domain looks like. I'm enjoying the domain world and I'm hoping I can contribute quite a bit to it!

Rakenson, Aug 1, 2017 IP