1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

what link directory building software is good?

Discussion in 'Solicitations & Announcements' started by ginostylz, Jun 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I have bought hotlinksSQL and liked it for a few months.....
    I dislike it now though for quite a few reasons.

There is a paid option, but they have to already be in the directory before advertising.(I was hoping to build it succsessful, then have a paid submission later)

It has this bad hotlink theme(its cool because the most active links end up on the index page. If someone was kind enough to swap links, eventhough we don't force a trade for submission our system emails a funny link to link to us is mydomain.com/ID=1234 or something. So all my inbounds are worthless, except for small traffic and not any SE traffic)

All the links on my directory are like pop unders or something. If you click on a link it opens in a new window behind the original window.

Can anyone recomend something good? Visit http://www.carandauto.com for a bad example......

ginostylz, Jun 5, 2004 IP
  2. North Carolina SEO

North Carolina SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ginostylz,

Unfortunately, I haven't found a satisfactory product either. If I do, I will gladly contact you.

North Carolina SEO, Jun 6, 2004 IP
  3. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    arelis is nice.

there are still things that manual research can do (or do faster) on occasion though.

disgust, Jun 6, 2004 IP
  4. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    I can build you a cusome directory scipt out of the ones I use on my sites

what do you need it to do

my homemade one works for multiple sites using mysql/php

like so

http://www.hostlinkexchange.biz/addsite.php

pretty rudimentary but effective

ferret77, Jun 9, 2004 IP
  5. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    compar, Jun 9, 2004 IP
  6. vinyl

vinyl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I dont use any directory manager - I use my own simple script which just add links (title,url,desc) in db and small code that retrieves those enties and put them into links.htm page with appropriate formatting (just to exclude manual alterations and upload/download, I am on dial-up, lol). If you have any programming expirience Id always suggest writing your own solution...

cheers,
    mike

vinyl, Jun 9, 2004 IP
  7. ginostylz

ginostylz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was more or less thinking of a program for running a niche directory, rather than a link swap program..

ginostylz, Jun 9, 2004 IP
  8. younghistorians

younghistorians Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    younghistorians, Jun 9, 2004 IP
  9. pstatus

pstatus Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's some 411 on Link Manager and Link Trader both of which i use. It seems like the Link Manager service creates Google indexed backlinks better than the links i get from Link Trader.. In fact, i only got one google indexed link from the linktrader program.. And ive been using both for 2 months.

However, the Link Manager program has it's own time schedule for checking links for reciprication. If the link doesn't reciprocate on the first 2 attempts then it waits a week before trying to check the link again.. you can always manually set each link to be queued for checking. Link Trader is better in that sense.. where you can check all the "failed" checked links whenever you want.

Ohh i think you need to buy Addweb Pro. to get the Linktrader software.. It has a bunch of tools that great for SEO and Rank Check type things...

Did i get off the subject... my bad

pstatus, Jun 12, 2004 IP
  10. 0BroadProspect

0BroadProspect Peon

Best Answers:
    0BroadProspect, Jun 13, 2004 IP
  11. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Ginostylz

If you want to make money out of your directory, and need a seriously SEO'd directory script with ready content, this is a good place to start.

AND THE AUTHOR KNOWS IT.

It comes complete with slyness that affords the author the ability to trash the lot if he so desires. There's one on install (a transparent gif called from his server on install, so he can track install locations), and another more serious one, that gives him admin access.

As I understand it, he doesn't abuse it, it's only for those sites that lift his code without giving him due credit in the footer.

The script comes with canada44.ca XML feed support, so you'll always have paying content. But watch this too. His referrer id is littered throughout, and the two links always appended to each category/search are to his own sites.. (although quite relevant, they don't pay).

Finally, DO dress it up and make it into something more than a page spinner for affiliate programs. Stock standard, G will probably stomp on it if reported.

Keeping the above in mind, I must point out that I can't speak highly enough of this resource. It's a thoughtful piece of work. If he agrees to modification of the code, you can pull off some real magic. But then.. watch the licensing too. It's not GNU or anything - just free.

:)

PS: It's also behind bluefind.com

john_loch, Jun 13, 2004 IP
  12. gooner

gooner Peon

Best Answers:
    If your talking about a script that run's in a similar way to the software Yahoo and DMOZ use you could try LinksSQL.

gossamer-threads.com/scripts/links-sql/index.htm

Some examples of sites running it...

hotscripts.com
    flashkit.com

gooner, Jun 22, 2004 IP
  13. younghistorians

younghistorians Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, so thats what they use! :cool:

younghistorians, Jun 22, 2004 IP
  14. Web Designer Leeds

Web Designer Leeds Guest

Best Answers:
    I have been thinking of building a directory but could anyone provide any broad guidelines on what the difference between a legitimate directory that Google will like and a spammy link site that search engines will not like?

Web Designer Leeds, Jun 30, 2004 IP
  15. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
  16. Taz

Taz Peon

Best Answers:
    If you don't mind to spend $100... I suggest you to buy Arelis. I use it for my directory and it works perfectly well :)

____

Taz

Taz, Jul 7, 2004 IP
  17. Bizcut88

Bizcut88 Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed I use Arelis on most of my sites and have never had a problem.

Bizcut88, Jul 7, 2004 IP
  18. pxj99

pxj99 Peon

Best Answers:
    This script (HotLinks SQL) I really want but am not ready to shell out yet another $80 for this directory until I see some profit. If you don't want it, I do.

I also have Links-SQL which is a very advanced and expensive script which I will never use because it is too much for the directory I want to build. I would like to get rid of it if I could get at least something in return like Hotlinks SQL.

If you are interested let me know.

pxj99, Jul 11, 2004 IP
  19. Extranet Guy

Extranet Guy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I shelled out $150 or so for Zeus, and while it seems pretty powerful, it's also a bit complicated and I haven't gotten much benefit from it yet.

Extranet Guy, Jul 11, 2004 IP
  20. megri

megri Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think Gossamer-threads is the best you can also try link department

megri, Jul 15, 2004 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.