1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What level of writing?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by ♥Hannah♥, May 5, 2012.

Hi there

I am wondering what education level we should be writing at when writing articles. I was told once before that most people read around a grade five level, and it is would be unwise to do any long-term writing (brochures, handouts, articles, etc) with university-oriented words.

What are your thoughts?

♥Hannah♥, May 5, 2012 IP
  2. rhondag

rhondag Peon

Best Answers:
    Most people read at a 8th or 9th grade level and so writing content for the web should fall into that level in most cases. People don't want to be talked at or down to; they want to be talked to. Hope this helps you.

Rhonda :)

rhondag, May 5, 2012 IP
  3. jssalinger

jssalinger Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree with Rhonda that 8th or 9th grade level is best. It's more conversational when you write at that level.

jssalinger, May 5, 2012 IP
  4. ContentVisionz

ContentVisionz Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't rally need to be a journalist grade or some high tech degree holder to be good writer... All you need to know is how to right a converting article without any grammatical errors and contextual error and right to the point on what you're talking about.. That shouldn't be that hard!!

ContentVisionz, May 6, 2012 IP
  5. jacksarlo

jacksarlo Active Member

Best Answers:
    You should write as simple as you can, so even a child can understand you. Don't write difficult words or university-level like you say because your prospects/customers may not understand that and confuses them. By writing simple you won't bother anyone but will only help everyone understand you better.

With writing articles objective is to get them to read article and understand it. Those who have high degree of school like doctors, lawyers etc aren't bothered by simple style of writing :)

jacksarlo, May 6, 2012 IP
  6. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. It depends on what you are selling.
    2. It depends on who you are selling it to.

Think about how you speak to other adults. Listen to how your client speaks to you. Rather than worry about a score, focus on matching your client's needs.

YMC, May 6, 2012 IP
  7. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm in advertising so we attempt to reach a vast cross section of society. John Q. Public responds to everyday language.

So,keep it interesting and informative,but remember generally speaking, you are not trying to reach rocket scientists.:)

Spoiltdiva, May 6, 2012 IP
  8. dtpennington

dtpennington Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Most newswriting is put together at a 5th grade level. Online copy hits about the 8th.

As it was stated before - it depends entirely upon your audience.

If your client says "I want my product to be accessible by everyone" then you should find a new client. "Everyone will buy this" is a bad business model.

dtpennington, May 6, 2012 IP
  9. awundrin

awundrin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Spoiltdiva nailed it.

awundrin, May 7, 2012 IP
  10. JstewartPiBR

JstewartPiBR Peon

Best Answers:
    Your level of writing should go well with the type of content you want to publish. The type of business also matters when it comes to decide on the level of writing.

JstewartPiBR, May 8, 2012 IP
  11. vip123

vip123 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Article writing would just need casual simple language that anyone would understand. Just enough to entertain and get the message accross

vip123, May 16, 2012 IP
  12. serialink

serialink Member

Best Answers:
    It depends. What are the articles about? What type of readers would be interested in them?
    General articles should be aimed at 8th-10th grade levels. (MS Word has a feature to check article reading levels built in.)
    Other types of articles may require different reading levels to be used. I don't think there is an easy catch-all answer for this.

serialink, May 17, 2012 IP
  13. MarTh-

MarTh- Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Knowing your audience is very important. Painting a story is a very effective writing style but to each their own. I've heard somewhere all the Harry Potter books were at around a 5th or 6th grade reading level yet they were massively popular because of how well the fantasy world was portrayed by the writer. When writing for business this 'paint a story' about the news is effective too.

MarTh-, May 17, 2012 IP
  14. GradeAMoney

GradeAMoney Peon

Best Answers:
    If you write simply, intelligently and honestly, you don't really have to worry about what "grade level you're writing at".

GradeAMoney, May 17, 2012 IP