1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What Kind of FB Account

Discussion in 'Facebook' started by Jeffrey Hanning, Feb 16, 2020.

I have a personal FB account that I use to share stupid videos, give my opinion, etc.

I am a also a Cub Scout Leader in a small community. I would like to be able to connect to parents, other leaders, school officials, community govt leaders, chamber of commerce folks, etc without them having to see the crap on my personal FB page. Its not that I am doing anything wrong or trying to hide anything, I would just like a more professional presence in town. I have created a public figure account (I think), but I would like to be able to add people or request people to come to my page. I cant figure out to do that with the public figure page. It only allows me to contact friends I already have. Is there a way to do what I want to do on the public figure page OR can I create a new "personal account" using a different email address. I already have the email address that I legitimately use for Scout business.

Jeffrey Hanning, Feb 16, 2020 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I've had to go through this a few times with my husband & my friends who for various reasons have a wider professional circle than most. Invariably they are convinced that option 2 is right and invariably it goes wrong.

Here's what you should do...
    • Have a personal account, make some posts public so it's clear that you are who they think you are but have all the "fun" stuff as private.
    • Have a page for your "public figure" - I think that's what you have created, rather than a second account - and get people to connect to that.
    • Publicly share the page stuff to your personal account.
    • For the Scouts use a private group that is limited to the kids and their parents. Once a kid leaves or moves up, kick the parents out. The public shouldn't be able to see the internal posts of a child-centred group.
    Here's what some people do but I think is wrong...
    • Have a public account that accepts parents, clients, fans as friends, post publicly
    • Have a private account using a different email address that is for actual friends - curate this list mercilessly
    • Remember which is which and don't lose the passwords
    In both cases, you'll need to be prepared for people who want access to the private account. Explain that it's for the people you're really close to. My rule of thumb is that if I won't pick up the phone and call you to wish you a happy birthday then you aren't in the inner circle. My friends' list is broader than that, but I don't have a public persona to maintain.

sarahk, Feb 16, 2020 IP