1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

what is your top server side language and why

Discussion in 'Programming' started by bay192, Dec 23, 2005.

1. n0other

n0other Peon

Best Answers:
    PHP. It's what I know the best and because I'm tied (a job) to it.

n0other, Jan 1, 2006 IP
  2. n0other

n0other Peon

Best Answers:
    Slashdot is on perl and it never gets slashdotted :) Seriously, I like to see that cacheing mechanism they use implemented in PHP.

n0other, Jan 1, 2006 IP
  3. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    I use PHP up front and perl in the background. This reflects my C roots and a long standing disdain for Java. Comments to the contrary, PHP is as secure as you make it. Unfortunately, not all PHP programmers -- incuding those behind some of the forum and CMS systems available -- appear to believe security is their problem. When coding, I always remember that I am letting strangers into my computer -- and code accordingly.

clancey, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  4. eKstreme

eKstreme Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned PHP's ability to be interspersed with HTML. I think that's one of the most powerful sides of PHP (and yes, ASP has that too). You can do similar things with PERL, but it's not as elegant as with PHP.

Personally, I also like PHP because it's very quick to hack something together. You can build a quick proof of concept and take that forward. It's MySQL integration is quite useful too.

Someone pointed out the inconsistent function naming: Completely agree. I hate it, but at least most of the functions are named similarly. Besides, the more you use a language the more you remember these intricacies.

The other "friendly" feature of PHP is that the server automatically knows what to do with the scripts. With PERL, you have to mess with CHMOD. From my experience, CHMOD is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) issue newbies face.

Just my 2c :)

eKstreme, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  5. pandela

pandela Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course it's PHP. People, who don't understand it entirely would say that it's full of functions,global variables & so on. That's the base over Object Orientated Languages are developed and I don't consider that there is anything hard to understand in PHP.

pandela, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  6. FeelLikeANut

FeelLikeANut Peon

Best Answers:
    FeelLikeANut, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  7. jimrthy

jimrthy Guest

Best Answers:
    Shame on you ;-) A good Lisper wasting time on .Net. Shouldn't you be spending your time actually Doing Things?? :)

jimrthy, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  8. Lisper

Lisper Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah I know, .Net isn't as bad as PHP though. ;)

I was actually thinking of making my own webdevelopment framework in Lisp. Or use one that's already available. Let me know if you know a good one :) A big requirement I have is a clean seperation of templates and code.

Lisper, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  9. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    php for me. have dabbled a little in jsp and asp... but picking up php is natural and easier me since i'm pretty good at c/c++... :)

daboss, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  10. JCDev

JCDev Peon

Best Answers:
    My problem with php is this:

1 - Hit the file system for every single request(unless catching stuff)
    2 - parse php source code
    3 - compile to bytecode
    4 - execute

This happens so that the hosting vendors can fill their servers with hundreds and hundreds of clients on the same machine; since the code is not loaded in memory they can afford to do this. The problem starts when 5 sites start getting hammered with requests and the machine comes to an halt.
    This cycle makes babies cry :eek:

On any other "sane" language you'd only have one step: execute. Sure you waste more memory and certainly you won't be able to put hundreds of clients on the same machine. But this should be about quality, not quantity.

Oh and btw, the cool thing about .NET is that you can choose any language you want, including Lisp ;)

JCDev, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  11. Rjx

Rjx Peon

Best Answers:
    I actually tend to use whatever is suited to the specific task at hand, since the majority of languages have at least one killer application.

Java Servlets (note: NOT applets) can handle pretty intense loads and using frameworks like struts allows a consistent programming standard and content/presentation seperation.

Ruby has Ruby-On-Rails which is great for rapid development of anything low/medium traffic or intranet based.

PHP is alright for smaller projects, and pretty much anything that uses GD (since PHP has the best GD integration out of languages i've used).

Perl (only mod_perl, CGI perl is pretty slow) is probably one of the fastest languages available when running with Apache, and has a HUGE amount of modules available for it through CPAN (so integration into any web service or API is easy). Perl is a hack language though, and the syntax enforcing is not very strong (it allows a lot of things that shouldn't really be allowed) so most of the time writing maintainable code is a nightmare when you're working with other users.

I could go on all day!

Rjx, Jan 6, 2006 IP
  12. cytech

cytech Guest

Best Answers:
    PHP - Why? One simple reason. It is easy for my customers who are not programers to pick up and can do basic functions and understand whats going on.

If a customer was to look at PERL they turn right around and go somewhere else.

ASP is my second because it is similar to php, Easy going and has extreme functionality, speed, and efficiency. :D

cytech, Jan 6, 2006 IP
  13. vrsane

vrsane Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am with PHP..... even though I am dot net programmer..

vrsane, Jan 7, 2006 IP
  14. nfzgrld

nfzgrld Peon

Best Answers:
    Definitly PHP. So far I haven't found anything I've wanted to so that I couldn't do with PHP.

nfzgrld, Jan 7, 2006 IP
  15. jimrthy

jimrthy Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, theoretically. I've seen a couple of stabs at getting a Common Lisp implementation in .NET. So far, there hasn't been much progress. Considering how slowly ABCL's creeping along, I'm not holding my breath.

There just doesn't seem to be much interest in such a project, and I can see why. Why would lispers care about .NET? Write the low-level junk in C and don't get tied to Windows. And who, using .NET, has any interest in lisp?

At least, that's my understanding of the situation.

jimrthy, Jan 7, 2006 IP
  16. jimrthy

jimrthy Guest

Best Answers:
    I have to disagree here.

A good object oriented (or any other) language does have a few functions and variables in the global namespace. Or, at least, a few keywords that form the basic core of the language.

It uses those to build all the important stuff, in other name spaces. That helps you avoid naming collisions. For most PHP apps, that's not an issue. For real-world hefty software development, this is a serious concern.

Maybe I have this opinion because I don't understand PHP entirely. After all, I've only been using it for a couple of years now.

I didn't either, until I read this post. I was pretty sure I had the basic language down in an afternoon, and all that was left was keeping track of all the functions.

Now I learn that I was wrong and didn't understand it in the first place. :eek:

jimrthy, Jan 7, 2006 IP
  17. cmpolis

cmpolis Peon

Best Answers:
    PHP - most widely used, fast, easy to use

cmpolis, Jan 11, 2006 IP
  18. Serious

Serious Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm a professional java developper (client-side only) but I never use Java for my websites. Because PHP is already there, it works fine for my little websites and is faster to developp with. That said, for a big project, I would certainly choose servlets and probably a Java framework like tapestry.

Serious, Jan 17, 2006 IP
  19. alph

alph Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ASP (lonely in here), but using PHP more and more each day...

alph, Jan 17, 2006 IP