1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is your most profitable writing catggory, and your least?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by SCookAAM, May 16, 2014.

Hi gang,

Just thought I'd throw this out there for fun. there are a lot of writers here who earn their money from many sources, i.e. freelance websites, direct clients, selling content, etc. So I was wondering what you felt was your most profitable type of witing and what was your least. In addition to being otentially amusing, it may help others here to guide them toward or away from certain areas :)

for my part, I'd have to say that some of my best areas would be sales material, website content specifically geared toward conversion, whitepapers and perhaps press releases.

The worst areas always seem to me to be blog posting, article writing and bundles of small things like product descriptions. Additionally, I haven't found many good paying eBook jobs myself. I have written several, including my own writer's course, and I know what goes into it. But it seems that these people who want eBooks want to pay $2 or $3 per page. Sorry, not interested lol.

As mentioned, anything sales-oriented seems to pay well - duh - because I think the client has a strong perception of an immediate or at least nearly immediate return on their investment.

What are your thoughts?

SCookAAM, May 16, 2014 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  2. Karuna17

Karuna17 Member

Best Answers:
    Whitepapers, ebooks (they require good investment in promotion), corporations' legal documents.
    All kinds of blog posts and lower-end articles are worst.
    There's also a hard-to-get segment of IT business analytics writing, which is payed for quite well.
    One more thing I'm not familiar with is political text writing. I know couple guys from this industry, they get extremely well-payed, especially at times of elections.

Karuna17, May 19, 2014 IP
  3. Akash47

Akash47 Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly, it all depends on my mood. I usually have several tasks lined up at a time, so I can pick and chose what I'm in the mood for, and by doing that I've found that I can do most types of writing. However, that said, I don't like writing exceptionally long pieces of text (whitepapers, ebooks, etc.). My ideal word limit range is 450-4000 words. This is where I "shine". Anything longer than that and I start to lose focus and interest. Unless it's due tomorrow and I've had 6 coffees. Then I ace that stuff! :D
    I also fancy writing tweets and headlines/titles for blog posts.

Akash47, May 19, 2014 IP
  4. Karuna17

Karuna17 Member

Best Answers:
    @Akash47 One smart guy has told smth like the one, who's master of his mood is a true magician:)

Karuna17, May 20, 2014 IP
    Akash47 likes this.
  5. Guide

Guide Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Best : Medical, financial, insurance related

Worst : Celeb / gossip, DIY, Cooking

Guide, May 24, 2014 IP
  6. TREYC

TREYC Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Best: everything. Worst: nothing.

I'm the best in the world, baby! ;)

TC

TREYC, May 25, 2014 IP
    GFX2 likes this.
  7. Guide

Guide Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL :) haha

Guide, May 25, 2014 IP
  8. Garry_West

Garry_West Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I love writing about business and economics. That's a kind of theme where it's hard to know everything and interesting to find that. To learn that. I don't like to choose just one niche for writing. Because the taste of this work for me is learning something new.

Garry_West, May 25, 2014 IP
  9. Mr Right

Mr Right Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Strangely, pets have been a huge niche for me. Product reviews are also very popular. Worst niche? I wouldn't know

Mr Right, May 31, 2014 IP
  10. funmom91

funmom91 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Referring to niches best is marketing and business. The worst is travel and finance. Work type wise I would say the best is press releases and website content. The worst is editing and articles. I accept a variety of different work though. You never know when a regular will drop off the planet. Therefore, I would rather have to much work than not enough work and/or no work at all.

funmom91, May 31, 2014 IP
  11. wrcato

wrcato Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have written in a lot of different niches for various clients. Articles, blog posts, social media content the worse for me. Not that they suck, I just didn't like writing them.
    Email copywriting, sales letters (DM), and my favorite space ads. Those are the ones I like to write. Contextual copy is a second favorite.
    I like the long and short of it.

wrcato, Jun 4, 2014 IP
  12. SCookAAM

SCookAAM Active Member

Best Answers:
    When you cut through it all, it can be said that the most profitable writing is done to sell something.

When a client needs you to sell a product, service or themselves, your skills come at a premium. if you can show that what you do makes someone else money, you have value.

SCookAAM, Jun 4, 2014 IP