1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is your favorite control panel and why?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by zerofunk, Mar 26, 2007.

1. DaiTengu

DaiTengu Active Member

Best Answers:
    The lack of Apache2 support in stable releases makes cPanel a bad choice for me. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't give you a choice of mailserver, and instead uses the worst solution out there (exim).

cPanel, while stable and good for some folks, just doesn't do enough to keep up with the times. Apache 2.0 has been out for what ... 5+ years now?

While it's good for a general, small, shared hosting environment for people who run no-traffic blogs and mom & pop websites, It's been my experience that the newer versions of Apache & PHP tend to perform far better on high-traffic servers.

I personally use Webmin on just about every server I manage (I do freelance server management for some pretty large websites). It's far easier to customize to my clients needs than cPanel, or anything else for that matter.

DaiTengu, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  2. Valve-Hosting

Valve-Hosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you seen CPanel 11 though? The x3 interface is well in advance of anything availble. I can see your point, though for Reselling Space webmin would be of little use. I guess it all depends on your needs.

I don't even use a CP on servers that I don't resell, I do it all by hand. ;)

Valve-Hosting, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  3. DaiTengu

DaiTengu Active Member

Best Answers:

Actually, there's a professional version of virtualmin avaialble now specifically for resellers.

I use Webmin generally as a tool to cluster the servers, as it's much easier to punch a command into a web interface and have it run on 7 boxes than it is to manually run it on each of the 7 machines.

I'm currently using the EDGE build on one of my servers, due to my need for Apache2. the client demands the cPanel interface, so who am I to argue? :)

DaiTengu, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  4. Valve-Hosting

Valve-Hosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Really, i'll have to take a quick look at that thanks. :)

Valve-Hosting, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  5. linuxunix

linuxunix Peon

Best Answers:

linuxunix, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  6. alexdale

alexdale Active Member

Best Answers:
    Cpanel/WHM is the best for me, in fact this is the only control panel i know. ;)

alexdale, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  7. ThreeGuineaWatch

ThreeGuineaWatch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    None of them I've used can match a shell, the best way to admin a box. :D

ThreeGuineaWatch, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  8. Valve-Hosting

Valve-Hosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Its the best way, if you've just a couple of sites, i have some servers so stripped down I dont even have mail or ftp servers, but it would be funny to try and do that hosting around 60 people with shell using htaccess and named files

Valve-Hosting, Mar 31, 2007 IP
  9. imi_99

imi_99 Peon

Best Answers:
    cpanel is best. its simple to use and quick too.

imi_99, Mar 31, 2007 IP
  10. Valve-Hosting

Valve-Hosting Peon

Best Answers:

11. DaiTengu

DaiTengu Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have no problems using webmin with a properly configured virtualmin setup. I find that it's even more robust than cPanel.

cPanel is easier for those people who aren't that familliar with their system, and for those who are scared of a compiler.

There's a few large hosting companies out there that host websites off Webmin/virtualmin. I have yet to find something cPanel does that webmin cannot.

DaiTengu, Mar 31, 2007 IP
  12. Valve-Hosting

Valve-Hosting Peon

Best Answers:

Still, this is missing my point, its what customers want, the average person who uses web hosting would not want to deal with webmin and thats what Cpanel does what Webmin doesn't :) But you're right in the way that webmin is better for the server.