1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is 'who is', how important is it really and how do i get it?(Newbies to Gurus)

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by marque1, Jul 15, 2013.

Hi All,

I've heard so much about 'who is' and i think it's linked to privacy and so thought i'd ask some of you guys if you know anything about it and how important it is?

Thanks,
    M

marque1, Jul 15, 2013 IP
  2. marque1

marque1 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    also to add - i think if you add some suggested sites who provide this would be good please

marque1, Jul 15, 2013 IP
  3. NameNetwork

NameNetwork Active Member

Best Answers:
    The WhoIs information of the domain is the information you entered when you registered the domain. It includes name and contact details for the technical, admin and billing 'people' for the domain and the registrar info ... wikipedia.org/wiki/Whois

As for it's importance, well yes it's *kinda* important :) The registrars and ICANN require the info to be complete and accurate. Additionally it's now being used by SE's to evaluate Authority of a local business and contribute particularly to it's Local SEO.

NameNetwork, Jul 15, 2013 IP
  4. marque1

marque1 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks NameNework:
    Oh okay so I have recently registered a domain name with Namecheap so I'll check to see if I have WhoIs on there and probably put it on? I like having my privacy but then I again I have nothing to hide from my customers.. so I dnt know

marque1, Jul 15, 2013 IP
  5. NameNetwork

NameNetwork Active Member

Best Answers:
    Your domain has WhoIs info already you don't need to do any more then make sure its accurate.

Namecheap provides a WhoIs look up tool at namecheap.com/domains/whois.aspx and if you want to look into their 'privacy' option you can check out namecheap.com/products/whoisguard.aspx

NameNetwork, Jul 15, 2013 IP
  6. marque1

marque1 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Someone mentioned that I may already have it and I think that's why I went with them in the end I think because there are just sooooo many options out there - thanks again.

marque1, Jul 15, 2013 IP
  7. buyog

buyog Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I use these two sites most of the time:
    who.is and internic.com/whois.html

Some "whois" sites can get the information even if a domain is privately registered it could be somehow cached or something

buyog, Jul 25, 2013 IP