1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is Web 2.0

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by LOD, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Pwnography

Pwnography Member

Best Answers:
    Personally,

I think the reason they call it web2.0, or the trend of web2.0 was the social marketing and idealism that how the internet, or web is being intergrated to social aspects. Everything from blogging/journaling, gaming, tv, movies, sharing, images, photos, posts, friends, party planning, shopping, everything is going digital. Basically, web2.0 was the coined phrase of saying, its the next generation of things to come... kinda like how a site launches version 2.0, but really all they did was change the layout, its

"of things to come" and the easability of what once was. I dont think web3.0 would ever be coined... its more methods, and how ease of the use of the internet its become.

I need to find movie times.. google it. I need to find out when abraham lincoln died...wiki it. I need to get in contact with a long lost friend, social network it. Party at my house, tweet it. I need to share this thread with everyone on the web... digg it.

-Pwn

Pwnography, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  2. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Web 1.0 - static html sites that rarely changed.

In the 1990s websites were built with basic HTML pages. They were not flexible, were difficult to update,,, rarely changed and were very time consuming to build.

Web 2.0 - Sites that utilize databases, java, ajax, php and other scripting languages to make them easy to build and easy to add add content.

As better scripting languages were developed, websites became more flexible and easier to update.

~kev~, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  3. Pwnography

Pwnography Member

Best Answers:

Wouldn't we be on like web 4.0 then.

I mean, CGI and PERL, let alone things like SQL and Flash were around before the term web 2.0.

Newgrounds.com was a very interactive flash site, lots of innovative stuff... that came around in 1999... was that web 2.0.

DHTML and VML was around before Ajax... was that 3.0...

Pwnography, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  4. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    I repeat what I just said. Does nobody read anything before they post here?

drhowarddrfine, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  5. ander

ander Peon

Best Answers:
    web 2.0 is the thing that is slowly destroying people's social lives.

ander, Nov 7, 2009 IP
  6. Pwnography

Pwnography Member

Best Answers:
    I read what you put, but coining a term means nothing really. I coined the term Pwnography.. but what does it mean to you? Other people use it.

Web2.0 was used before Tim O. used the word. Its been used before him, hes just that guy that people know and can say oogabooga is the new set of rules for the internet and people will stalk it like a religion.

Pwnography, Nov 7, 2009 IP
  7. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh? Who exactly? And he did more than coin it. He defined and shaped it. He created a whole symposium around it. He has a whole series based on that numbering system. But you say that all means nothing.

drhowarddrfine, Nov 7, 2009 IP
  8. Pwnography

Pwnography Member

Best Answers:
    Do you have like a fetish for this guy.

Just because someone writes a thesis on what he "coins" does not mean that hes the original owner of the term, nor is the inventor of what it is, or who shapes what.

I am glad that he had a hand in creating Twitter, and Myspace, and other what we percieve as 2.0 technology.. oh wait he didnt.

I am sure he was also there for creating the Mootool set, Blowfish and suckerfish set of tools.. maybe jquery.. oh he knows how to use them.

I am glad he helped out with the imagination and work of Orca.. wait that wasnt him..

How about the PHP Pear project.. nah that wasnt him, but he must have worked with the Django framework... nope

those are 2.0 technologies... wheres he at on that one

Give me hard evidence on why this guy is the jesus of 2.0 and the creator of it all. Otherwise, your posts are nothing but post count to me. Sorry.

Pwnography, Nov 7, 2009 IP
  9. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    I already gave you hard evidence. You say he was not the originator. If you want to argue that side, you are the one who must provide the evidence and quit blowing hot air.

10. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    I did the work for you. As it turns out, he was not the first to use the term. However, as it is used today, it is most associated with O'Reilly (according to Wikipedia) and became widespread after he used the term with definitions.

It just amazes me how the most intelligent arguments I ever have are with myself and that I have to help others with their own point against me.

11. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    Orca is web2.0? Are you talking about the screen reader for Linux???

Stomme poes, Nov 8, 2009 IP
  12. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, by definition that was a web 2.0 website.

If its a static site that does not change - its web 1.0

If a dynamic site that is easy to update and changes - its web 2.0

Your references to CGI, PERL, SQL and Flash all fit into the web 2.0 definition.

~kev~, Nov 9, 2009 IP
  13. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Absolutely false. From the horses mouth: The definition of Web 2.0

drhowarddrfine, Nov 9, 2009 IP
  14. Pwnography

Pwnography Member

Best Answers:
    No, Orca the Ajax'ed forums. It Co-insides with Dolphin which is a smart community builder (or social network).

As for the one that continues to argue and did the research for me. Thanks, I am sorry I wasn't near a computer for a couple of days. So I didn't see that you replied.

You did the work yourself, maybe I should piggy back on what you said.

You linked an article from someones blog, in which you for some reason assume is the god of the internet. How about this. Maybe I should start to link DARPA comments on web 2.0...considering they are hiring military information systems for what they are coining as "WebNext"... so does DARPA publishing that make them a ruling factor over someones blog...considering without DARPA where would you be posting?

Don't get me wrong, but just because someone who is popular starts to say something, then people realize about it, it blows up.. thus the origin appears its from xxx person and they are the creator of it.

Scientology is another prime example. No one heard about it until Tom Cruise, who people 'relate to' so they say, said something about it on Oprah. If a celebrity says something, then it must be true right?

How about SQLOOTE? Have you ever heard of that term? Probably not.. but those who work in my career field have.. did we coin it? When SQL becomes easy and sweet does that mean I coined it, since I wrote about a while ago..

ok then.. thank you.

Pwnography, Nov 10, 2009 IP
  15. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    You're wrong. Scientology was well known long before Cruise and Oprah. My parents bought the book in the 60s and I recall people talking about it then. It was written by Hubbard, of course, and no one tried to say he didn't originate the idea.

From your posts, it seems you don't want to follow anyone on anything no matter what anyone says so it's useless discussing this with you.

drhowarddrfine, Nov 10, 2009 IP
  16. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    Funnily enough, that's kinda how the Orca screen reader got its name: Dolphin is a company who made a screen reader for a long time... and then the most popular one for Windows is called JAWS, so... keeping up with the whole water animal thing.

Stomme poes, Nov 11, 2009 IP
  17. SeoStuff

SeoStuff Peon

Best Answers:
    Web 2.0 means..more interactiveness on the web.Earlier everything was one sided. Web site had contents and user will read it like news paper.But in Web 2.0 user has lots of things on his hands.

SeoStuff, Nov 11, 2009 IP
  18. Jasmin_Babe

Jasmin_Babe Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea Like I have seen a couple of sites out there that seems to be Web 2.0 like the following:
    Fiesta Loco.com (Party Site)
    Smashing Magazine.com (Portfolio Site)
    Just The Buzz.com (Tech Site)
    I think anything that just has a clean and elegant design?

Jasmin_Babe, Nov 12, 2009 IP
  19. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The author of that article wasted 4 - 5 pages of stuff that could have been said in 1 sentence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_2.0

Like I said before, if its easy to update (as compared to static html sites) and lets add interative - blogs, forums, video sharing sites - then its web 2.0

~kev~, Nov 12, 2009 IP
  20. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Uh, the author of that article is the same guy referenced in your link. So you are saying O'Reilly wasted space and he should have said what O'Reilly said. Good job, Kev.

drhowarddrfine, Nov 13, 2009 IP