1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the proper way to cut ties with a client?

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by KiaraJ, Jan 17, 2016.

Last month a man contacted me about graphic design work that he needed done. It was to be completed 3 weeks from then which would be around this time in January. He sent examples of inspiration and I told him I could do it. He constantly started emailing asking for updates at random hours day and night before I even got started. I told him that I will update him when I have something to show him. He told me he was anxious and I told him that he had to be patient because he was expecting too much to be done in too little time. All of this happened the very next day after corresponding even though the deadline was three weeks from then he was in a rush and I don't know why. He became a pest about time and how he wanted the design. I decided to stop responding so that I could actually focus on getting some drafts designed but as I checked my emails, he continued to send more examples of how he wanted it to look. Each one looked more different than the rest, throwing off what I had already come up with. I was so agitated with him that I couldn't even pace myself anymore. I rushed myself to come up with something to show him so he could get off my back for a while and I didn't end up with my best work I admit that but it was only a draft which he couldn't comprehend. He was rude about how it came out and proceeded to send even more examples and demanded that not only I meet his expectations he wanted them to be exceeded. Knowing his background he seems like a selfish, entitled brat. I hadn't even been paid yet, the money was in escrow and I didn't think it was worth the price because if the hassle he gave me. In the midst of all of this chaos, I had a death in the family. I got someone to email him to inform him that I was unable to complete the work and that I hope he can find someone who will be able to provide him the service he thinks he deserved. Even though I was dealing with a lot of grief I was somewhat relieved to have an excuse to not have to deal with the guy. Fast forward to now...He is back:eek:. He asked if I am able to pick up where I left off. I do not want to do any work for this guy. I do not want to continue to ignore him either. What would be the professional thing to do?

TLDR: Annoying client wants me to do some work for him and I don't know how to tell him that I don't want to work with him anymore in a professional way.

KiaraJ, Jan 17, 2016 IP
  2. xxll_martin_llxx

xxll_martin_llxx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Usually just telling them and being straight works.

Tell him he's been too pushy and that there was a three week period to get this job done and he hasn't given you that time in order to do the work hassle free.

It's great he's sent you some inspiration but he shouldn't have bombarded you.

xxll_martin_llxx, Jan 19, 2016 IP
  3. KiaraJ

KiaraJ Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks I don't even think he knows what he really wanted and he does not understand time frames. Just because I am a freelancer does not mean you can email me all hours of the night and be demanding like I need your money. I hate clients that don't have respect for boundaries or have crazy expectations.

KiaraJ, Jan 19, 2016 IP
  4. ktzmedia.com

ktzmedia.com Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Charge him a "pain in the a**" fee on the next project. That'll do it.

ktzmedia.com, Jan 19, 2016 IP
  5. tiaphoto

tiaphoto Peon

Best Answers:
    Ooo thats a tricky one. I haven't been exactly put in this position before. I agree with just being straightforward while being as kind and as ethical as possible. Finish up any loose strings you may have with them, such as projects and files that need to be sent and received. And maybe kindly recommend some solutions for what he needs done.

Best of luck,
    I know that can be tough.

-Tia

tiaphoto, Jan 20, 2016 IP
  6. komickaze

komickaze Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with this approach. You're not saying "I won't do it", which could burn your chances with anyone else they know. You're saying, "Sure thing! Glad to help! My rates have gone up, though. I hope you're OK with that." It also sets a precedent for raising your rates for other customers, too. You're loyal ones will stick around and the pain in the a** ones will go away. You're revenue will increase for the loyalists, offsetting any losses for the ones you dropped, and you'll have more free time with little impact on your bottom line, putting yourself in a position to solicit new clients at the higher rate. Trust me, I've done it (from $5/hr to $85/hr), and I'm much happier for it.

komickaze, Jan 20, 2016 IP
  7. komickaze

komickaze Active Member

Best Answers:
    Read "The 4 Hour Workweek". You'll understand where I'm coming from.

komickaze, Jan 20, 2016 IP
  8. DavidLMorgan

DavidLMorgan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree with komickaze. I was stuck on a job for two months just because I couldn't explain to my employer that his requirements aren't realistic. I felt challenged by his approach, tried to deliver everything that he threw at me, ended up with me having a totally unprofessional relationship ( we were on a "buddy" basis) with the worst employer ever. It resulted in me not getting paid for 23 days after the payments was due.

That's why one of my new year's resolutions is to act more professionally and establish terms right from the very start. Btw, a great article on that topic here.

DavidLMorgan, Jan 25, 2016 IP
  9. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    There is a reason I get on PAPER a contract, NOTORIZED in countries that have the concept before I even THINK about doing work for others. Said contract clearly outlining responsibilities, periods of payment, what constitutes additional charges being added to the project when those unrealistic expectations come into play -- AND an exit strategy for either party.

Usually if someone balks at getting a Notary Public (Common Law) or Notary at Law (Civil law) involed in something as simple as a paper contract, it's a good litmus test for if they are a legitimate business or just plain full of ****.

While I've always had that practice for freelance work before I even did web development, I tightened things up after my last full-time employer (over a decade ago now) brought me in to "save him", then ignored every bit of advice, second guessed me at every turn, and behind my back went an entirely different direction. You do NOT want to use the approach I took in that case of storming into their office, giving them a verbal tongue lashing that would bring most people outside New England to tears loud enough for the entire staff to hear it, ending with "You know **** about websites but won't listen to a word any of the people you hired to cover up that failing. If you're not going to listen to a word I say or any of the advice I give - doing the exact opposite - WHAT THE **** DID YOU HIRE ME FOR?!?"

Laugh being the dipshit showed up on my doorstep three months later hat in hand begging for me to come back and fix everything. I made sure the door hit his ass on the way out.

While it can feel really good to get that out of your system, I don't recommend that approach.

deathshadow, Jan 25, 2016 IP
  10. komickaze

komickaze Active Member

Best Answers:
    ROFL! What I MEANT to say was "from $45/hr to $85/hr". From $5/hr??? That's funny. :D

komickaze, Jan 25, 2016 IP
  11. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Sad part is, by the time the hours a lot of "cheap fast" projects get added up, that $5 is a believable number in freelancing. See the endless horde of college dipshits who know **** about **** (and pull up your damned pants!) spamming endlessly on job websites that they'll do what should be 8 hours work for $20. The fools who at that age actually believe that "I can't pay you a proper amount, but I'll let you put it in your portfolio" is a legitimate deal.

There's a reason a LOT of projects and jobs out there you'd make more money flipping burgers; by the time the "client" gets done raking you over the coals unless you quoted a few grand up front and outlined everything in writing ahead of time, the hours put it can quickly outstrip the agreed payment. Suddenly what you quoted as $85/hr gets gutted down to pennies on the dollar.

Part of why I "Mr. Scott" both my time estimates and pay-rates... and why $1500 is a lowball quote for me on a "two week" deadline. NOT that I would take on any project at this point with such an unrealistic turn-around!

deathshadow, Jan 25, 2016 IP
  12. komickaze

komickaze Active Member

Best Answers:
    We've all have clients and employers that we've wanted to do this to, but you are right. Telling them off is NOT the right approach. It burns bridges.

13. komickaze

komickaze Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. The Scotty Principle. I know it well. ;)

14. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    What I've done in the past is to inform them that "Due to my increased workload and client base that I am unable at this time to".......It will keep the client for a future time if you think you could handle him/her. It also makes it appear that you must be pretty darn good at what you do if you are that busy, and you won't offend needlessly.
    To be magnanimous you could also refer him to a competitor that you don't like.:rolleyes:

Spoiltdiva, Jan 25, 2016 IP
  15. komickaze

komickaze Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've done that before, too. :)

16. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Every second you spend dealing with a bad client is time you're not giving to a good client. You can't afford to do it.
    Bad clients are a black hole. Burn the bridge to the ground and don't look back.

Kerosene, Jan 29, 2016 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.