1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

what is the fastest and efficient way to get listing in DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by kroyal, Nov 19, 2012.

1. angelicakaka

angelicakaka Active Member

Best Answers:
    You are completely right and I actually knew it but I tried :) Seems like it is not possible to fool DMOZ. In these days I have been trying to create better pages for my website but I do not think I will ever be able to get listed there even if I have the best website I could ever imagine - in my niche - because I do not understand what is good for them.
    For me, a quality site is the one with an easy navigation menu, good and detailed information - but not with too many, unnecesarry details - fast loading etc. etc. I saw a competitor site in DMOZ and my personal opinion about that website is it is just a crap! If I were a customer, I would leave the page without staying a moment.

angelicakaka, Dec 3, 2012 IP
  2. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ lists sites with unique content. Yes it has to load reasonably and it should not have so many adds the site is obscured, but content is essentially what DMOZ looks for not how the site is put together.

You would leave the page probably because it was a competitor! I don't know your site neither do I have much expertise in that area, not somewhere I would volunteer to edit in, even though I can do so. But assuming have suggested your site and assuming that it has unique content and fits with our other guidelines, then I would suggest that it is probably just sitting in a pool with others. Editors make a choice as to where, when and what they use when editing and some areas get less attention because no-one volunteers to work there. Also accept that DMOZ is a hobby not a commercial enterprise for the editors and listing already listed site's competitors and ensuring that any particular site is listed or that there is some sort of commercial balance is just not part of the thinking.

Anonymously, Dec 3, 2012 IP
  3. angelicakaka

angelicakaka Active Member

Best Answers:
    I completely understand you but saying that I would leave the page probably because it was a competitor is totally unfair. As you see I accept that I tried to fool them and it was foolish thing to do but I still trust in my ability to judge and still sure that my competitor site is not good enough to be listed. The only advantage of it may be being around for ages. It is almost as old as internet...

angelicakaka, Dec 3, 2012 IP
  4. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @angelicakaka: There is no need to re-suggest your website and doing so could be counter-productive because a later suggestion overwrites any earlier one.

jimnoble, Dec 4, 2012 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    BS completely and totally.

Prove me wrong if I am wrong. Show people just how dishonest I am by backing up your side of things.

If there is something wrong about the completed transaction with positive feedback, then show it. Let us all know, till then, it's a sold link, that was caught, and removed.

I stopped making stuff up here YEARS ago. I also stopped calling names, and focusing on a few individuals... which is something YOU can not say.

When I make a claim, I back it up (and generally with the ODP site itself)... which is something YOU can not say.

So yeah, exactly which one of us is misleading, dishonest, and filled with smokescreens? Certainly it would be you? You wont even prove you are an editor, let alone back up any of your claims... so, yeah, BS.

Here is a link to the original discussion of the thread. I posted it, three editors didn't disprove it then... are you calling them out on a smokescreen as well? LINKS ARE SOLD ON THE ODP. Prove of one is all it takes to show it does happen. no smokescreen, no mirrors, no dishonestly... at least not from me. I do not have to make stuff up to make the ODP look bad, you do that well enough on your own.

Qryztufre, Dec 4, 2012 IP
  6. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I just see so many posts with comment that their competitors site is not as good as thierown. But can I ask you if the competitors site has unique content? If so then it is worthy of listing. If you want that re-evaluated then if you press the update button on the site you can flag up the issue and it will be looked at again by an editor and updates are seen more as a priority than suggestions.

Also please take onboard that DMOZ editors take no interest in commercial value of the link. It could well be that your site might be better in the way it runs and looks, but that means nothing to DMOZ editors. And if there is no editor willing to work that area and use suggestions, then that is part of the nature of DMOZ. As Jim says your site probably awaits evaluation, if it meets up to guidelines (if not it may have been rejected) and you cannot speed that up the review time, re-suggesting may hold it up more.

Anonymously, Dec 4, 2012 IP