1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the difference in Text, HTML, ROR, RSS and XML Sitemaps?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by nrvaghela, Jul 13, 2013.

We all know that XML sitemap use for Google Sitemap. But I want know the difference in Text, HTML, ROR, RSS and XML Sitemaps?

nrvaghela, Jul 13, 2013 IP
  2. ballyjames21

ballyjames21 Member

Best Answers:
    text sitemap:-
    Text sitemaps contain one website url per line. Many search engines including Google and Yahoo can scan text sitemaps. Its extension is .txt(urllist.txt).

html sitemap:-
    An HTML sitemap allows site visitors to easily navigate a website. It is a bulleted outline text version of the site navigation.
    ror sitemap:-
    ROR (Resources of a resource) expands on the RSS protocol with its own extensions. The file extension for ROR files is .ror. All search engines that understand RSS sitemap files continue to understand the RSS parts of ROR files.

rss sitemap:-
    The RSS (Really Simple Syndication) protocol is often used in feed files for blog, forums etc. The RSS file format uses XML and has evolved over multiple versions and names, all fairly compatible with each other:
    RDF (Resources Description Framework) Site Summary (RSS 1.0 and RSS 0.90)
    Rich Site Summary (RSS 0.91)
    Really Simple Syndication (RSS 2.0)

and
    xml sitemap:-
    xml sitemap started by Google. Google later convinced more search engines to follow and the standard was renamed to XML sitemaps protocol. Currently Google, Yahoo, Microsoft MSN Search, Ask, IBM and possibly more supports XML sitemaps.

ballyjames21, Jul 15, 2013 IP
  3. iamalive

iamalive Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for sharing the informative stuff with us but i want to ask one question and that's ROR sitemap is still effective in current SEO or not?

iamalive, Jul 22, 2013 IP
  4. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My POV is that ROR was never effective or widely supported. ROR just extended RSS (which uses XML) - if you want to see example code of e.g. ROR versus RSS, see this article: http://www.microsystools.com/products/sitemap-generator/help/website-sitemap-kinds-comparison/ - so yes, search engines would read the RSS part, but not the ROR extensions. (Now, I am not arguing if ROR was a good idea. It may well have been, I just don't believe any search engines supported anything but the RSS parts)

websitetools, Sep 14, 2013 IP
  5. nrvaghela

nrvaghela Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing such an informative post on sitemaps, I had little idea about XML sitemap and HTML sitemap but now I got all information about both. And Also thanks for sharing your thoughts on ROR and RSS sitemap. I didn't know about it but you give me such an important information.

nrvaghela, Sep 17, 2013 IP