1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the difference between Page Rank and Position?

Discussion in 'Keyword Tracker' started by cattet01, Dec 22, 2004.

See - told you I'd be asking some pretty basic questions

I notice that on a number of the SEO tools that are out there that show Google positions, the position can be very different to the 'page rank' shown for the same url.

What is the difference? Why can a page with a good page rank be positioned lower than a page with a worse page rank? :confused:

Terri

cattet01, Dec 22, 2004 IP
  2. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Page Rank has to do with inbound links to your site. Basically the more you have and the higher PR they have, the higher your own PR (more complex but thats the gist)

As far as ranking in Google, this has a lot to do with the Anchor text you have on those links. A site with a lower PR can outrank you for a variety of reasons, one of which may be the amount of anchor text links they have for that specific keyword.

Page Rank is basically an indicator of a host of factors. Those factors PLUS more make up your ranking in the Search Engines.

Google leans towards off page like links while MSN and Yahoo tend to lean towards on page like keyword density

Cheers

yfs1, Dec 22, 2004 IP
  3. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    PageRank is indeed a stupid name and causes an awfult lot of consufion. The should have called it PageMojo or PagePopularity or PageVotes or whatever different but anything but a reference to ranking in it.

See here for an article on what PageRank is and how you can get more of it if that's what you want. http://www.compar.com/infopool/articles/PR-calculation.html

As yfs1 said, anchor text in good links is more important so don't spend too much time on the green bar and focus on getting links with the KWs you want in the anchor text. You just said yourself, a low PR page can outrank a high PR page. That sums it up nicely.

T0PS3O, Dec 22, 2004 IP
  4. cattet01

cattet01 Peon

Best Answers:
    Many thanks for the replies - they shed a lot of light on a few things. I think I'm getting there!

cattet01, Dec 22, 2004 IP