1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the damping factor in page rank and whats the concept behind using it?

Discussion in 'Google' started by kanikaseo, Jul 27, 2010.

i have read that for calculating the page rank i have to use the formula
    PR(A)=(1-d)+d(PR(T1)/C(T1)+-----PR(Tn)/C(Tn))
    but unable to understands the concept of d here why it is used please help

kanikaseo, Jul 27, 2010 IP
  2. dropcatchsell

dropcatchsell Active Member

Best Answers:
    The dampening factor is X * 0.85, where X = the PR value passed from the inbound link.

The point of dampening is to ensure that you don't accidentally end up with an infinite series of PRs passing an infinite amount of PR. It is intended to ensure that the shock wave of inbound PR dies out down the line without further assistance from additional PR sites.

dropcatchsell, Jul 27, 2010 IP
  3. kanikaseo

kanikaseo Member

Best Answers:
    hello dropcatchsell, thanks for information but please could you please explain or give me some link to read the fact and grasp them because now it becomes more complex for me

4. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Everything you need to know about the damping factor can be found in Larry Page and Sergey Brin's original whitepaper from Stanford, The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Web Search Engine, which became the blueprints for Google. Pay particular attention to section 2.1.

PageRank is based on the random surfer model. Essentially, the damping factor is a decay factor. What it represents is the chance that a user will stopping clicking links and get bored with the current page and then request another random page (as with directly typing in a new URL rather than following a link on the current page). This was originally set to about 85% or 0.85. If the damping factor is 85% then there is assumed to be about a 15% chance that a typical users won't follow any links on the page and instead navigate to a new random URL.

So if a page has 1000 PR "points" and 10 outbound links and the damping factor is 85%, those links do NOT each get passed 100 PR points... 15% of the overall PR basically vaporizes and the remaining points, 850 PR points in this example, would get passed out over the 10 outbound links (assuming all are followed). So each link would get passed 85 PR points.

Canonical, Jul 27, 2010 IP
  5. kanikaseo

kanikaseo Member

Best Answers:
    Thnks! Canonical that is realy helpful and descriptive thnks alot

6. yamyum

yamyum Peon

Best Answers:
    I always read this kind of concept almost everyday ,hope I will learn some lesson here.

yamyum, Jul 25, 2012 IP
  7. rubeljoy

rubeljoy Peon

Best Answers:
    Learn a lot of new things from Canonical's comment. Thank you for your nice, informative and helpful comment sharing.

rubeljoy, Jul 26, 2012 IP
  8. ketset

ketset Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a great piece, thanks for that and really helps explain the factors involved.

ketset, Jul 26, 2012 IP
  9. ducourtier

ducourtier Peon

Best Answers:
    Page ranks are useless. VERY useles... At that point its a popularity contest and how popular you are on a scale of 1 to 10.
    I've seen terrible websites with terrible content get PR7 when the hard working site-masters have a PR3.

ducourtier, Jul 26, 2012 IP