1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the biggest advantage of jQuery library over others?

Discussion in 'jQuery' started by simplythewebst, Sep 26, 2011.

I mean except that it is probably most used one. Thanks in advance.

simplythewebst, Sep 26, 2011 IP
  2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on what you know and what you need. The advantage of a library you know, that has what you need, is that you know it and it has what you need. It's like the "advantage" of chocolate over vanilla.

Rukbat, Sep 27, 2011 IP
  3. Web Muster

Web Muster Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    yes Rkbat is right

Web Muster, Sep 27, 2011 IP
  4. Abitha

Abitha Member

Best Answers:
    It is light weight when compared to other javascript frameworks
    It has a wide range of plugins available for various specific needs
    It is easier for a designer to learn javascript as it uses familiar CSS syntax. jQuery is Javascript for Designers

Abitha, Sep 27, 2011 IP
  5. vruvishal

vruvishal Member

Best Answers:
    its very light weight, easy to use, less write and generate more result and one more thing is that it doesn't return any javascript error like ( if div id doesn't exist and we used that id ) so, it doesn't generate error and not stopping working any other javascript.....

vruvishal, Sep 28, 2011 IP
  6. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I forgot that, if you link to the jQuery file on MS or Google, the user will probably be using a cached version of the jQuery file, since so many sites do that. So it makes your site run faster.

Rukbat, Oct 8, 2011 IP
  7. EricBruggema

EricBruggema Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've got a couple of idea's why!

- Its totaly free
    - Its stable!
    - Its working in most browsers
    - Its supported by thousends of scripters
    - Its easy to understand
    - Its small and easy to add extensions
    - More....

EricBruggema, Oct 18, 2011 IP
  8. Rainulf

Rainulf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Because it's easy and straight forward to use. If you are to compare it to others like YUI, jQuery is way alot simpler

Rainulf, Oct 19, 2011 IP
  9. John Breed

John Breed Peon

Best Answers:
    Because it`s a great tool:)I`ve found a couple of articles on this topic, hope they will help you:
    http://altabel.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/why-jquery-is-so-popular/
    http://www.jscripters.com/jquery-disadvantages-and-advantages/
    http://www.rezstream.com/blog/the-benefits-of-using-jquery

John Breed, Mar 29, 2013 IP
  10. Greg Lawton

Greg Lawton Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Through the available plugins and functionality, it adds beauty and pleasing usability to your website (e.g. accordions, autocomplete, table sorting etc.)

Greg Lawton, Mar 29, 2013 IP
  11. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Size and 90% of the codebase having nothing to do with the "cross browser DOM" assistance it's apologists claim, but instead being for goofy animated crap that's either CSS' job, would be handled far simpler with just a single class swap, should be done server-side not client-side, or just plain doesn't belong on websites in the first place -- Advantages? WHAT ADVANTAGES?!?

Add in how it makes anything written with it pointlessly and needlessly cryptic (to the point it makes C look good on that front) and I really can't fathom why anyone would WANT to use it apart from ignorance, apathy, and just plain wishful thinking.

But I say the same thing about every other javascript framework, as well as HTML and CSS frameworks. They're a crutch used by the inept, the sleazy and the lazy.

But again, one of the reasons I rarely if ever poke my head into this section of DP is my attitude towards frameworks tends to piss off the sleazeball asshats who crap out megabytes of this garbage.

More-so since I've NEVER seen a site using jQuery that wouldn't have been more useful and user friendly without it... while I've seen it repeatedly destroy perfectly good websites when it's added.

Just look at the majority of posts in the jquery section -- 90% of them are stupid "gee ain't it neat" animated crap that just makes pages HARDER TO USE! Figure in the code bloat where the scripting on these people's pages is anywhere from two ten times the size I'd allow for an entire page template of HTML+CSS+IMAGES+SCRIPTS... Well... you can see where this is headed.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
    deathshadow, Mar 30, 2013 IP
  12. HuggyStudios

HuggyStudios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

You clearly have 100x more time to spend on projects than every other developer around the world. Time is money, by using frameworks you can accomplish your goals faster which means more money.

You really should learn something called empathy.

HuggyStudios, Mar 31, 2013 IP
  13. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I find the opposite -- frameworks by their very nature take MORE time, generate more work, and if the end result is an inaccessible wreck that does nothing but annoy visitors, then what the devil good is it? CSS frameworks use presentational classes, defeating the point of using CSS, making more work and making it nigh impossible to deliver a WORKING responsive layout, much less actual graceful degradation. Javascript libraries add pointless bloat that is most often for things that don't even belong on websites in the first place. It's like people who refuse to even try semantic markup or god forbid separation of presentation from content, then wonder why they end up with bloated, slow, hard to maintain and even harder to update pages.

Right now there's this noodle-doodle notion that using more code and flashy but ultimately useless crap on sites somehow makes it easier on the developer -- BULL! You see it in people's HTML with the endless DIV, SPAN, ID and CLASSES for nothing, you see it in their CSS with idiocy like Frameworks or OOCSS and hundreds of k of CSS doing tens of K's job, and you see it in Javascript with bloated idiotic garbage like jquery where anything useful that's done with it can typically be written better/cleaner/simpler and far FAR easier to understand that it's needlessly cryptic crap, and anything else done with it is either CSS' job or doesn't even belong on a website in the first place!

I love how some people's definition of "empathy" involves slapping the rose coloured glasses on everyone's head, and leading them even further down the garden path to failure -- because that helps people just SO much. God forbid you actually try to help people write simpler, faster, more accessible websites without endless scripted garbage pissing all over the accessibility... because trying to help people instead of blowing smoke up their ass isn't empathy.

But I'm a old school New England Yankee -- we'll walk up to a unwashed homeless bum, call them a sleazeball shit who needs to get their ******* act together -- then give them the coat off our back, take them to breakfast, and show them where the local shelters are... as opposed to most other places I've been where they'll smile, tell them everything is going to be ok, MAYBE give them 50 cents, and walk away.

deathshadow, Mar 31, 2013 IP