1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the Best Way to Transfer a WordPress Blog to another Server?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by kennyk3, Dec 13, 2007.

Hello all,

I'm thinking about selling one of my blogs. I've done this before, but I've always run into some trouble and still don't know exactly how to do it effectively.

I just wanted to know the best way to transfer a WordPress site to another server to where it is exactly the way it is on the current server it is installed so the transaction goes smoothly.

Thanks,

Kenny

kennyk3, Dec 13, 2007 IP
  2. SSANZ

SSANZ Peon

Best Answers:
    Backup the blog directory, then backup the MySQL DB. - Put it all into a tarball, the client will then need to reconfigure his MySQL config and import the MySQL tables.

You should be able to download backups of these via your cpanel.

SSANZ, Dec 13, 2007 IP
  3. kennyk3

kennyk3 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty sure I know how to backup the directory and MySQL DB. I do not know what a tarball is.

Any way you can explain more...?

kennyk3, Dec 13, 2007 IP
  4. abdussamad

abdussamad Active Member

Best Answers:
    Tar is a program that combines multiple files in multiples directories into one file in such a way that the original files and directories can be restored. This process is called archiving. A tarball is a tar archive that has been compressed usually using the gzip program. Both tar and gzip are open source programs included with most Linux distributions. Tarballs are commonly used to move files from one computer to another.

abdussamad, Dec 14, 2007 IP
  5. rllunzmann

rllunzmann Active Member

Best Answers:
    The best way would be to generate a full backup of your site and xfer it to the new host and have them restore it.

rllunzmann, Dec 14, 2007 IP