1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

what is the best way to setup an adwords campaign?

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Juls, Feb 10, 2005.

Currently I list all of my keywords in 1 campaign and have read a lot about organizing them into groups but i am not exactly sure what is the best way to group them.

Any suggestions or help would be great.

Also on topic does anyone know the best way to determine the most effective ads? copying competitors, testing, ect... i currently run about 8 different ads...

most of what i am doing now i guess is testing.... lately since i have started to add new ads my ctr is going up but my conversion since 2005 have dropped in half, however i am targetting the same keywords...

sorry if this is all over the place... my mind is spacing out...

thanks

Juls, Feb 10, 2005 IP
  2. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    One thing you should consider is what position you are in. If you are bidding to be in the top two or three you'll get a higher click through than if you are further down in the results. This based on my observations as I try to balance keeping the cost per click low and the traffic reasonably high. Also your business may have benefited from December's shopping season and the fall off in January. If you are comparing January 04 to January 05 then that theory doesn't apply.

tbarr60, Feb 14, 2005 IP
  3. eobit

eobit Peon

Best Answers:
    In my opinion best positions are from 4 to 8 .

You're Still in the first page of sponsored links and i've noticed that people clickin' in the last results are more and more motivated to buy.

In a very competitive niche ( in my case accomodation in Rome - Italy ) this could help you to increase conversion by 300 / 350 % ... spending 60% less than usual.

... yes you'ìll get less clicks anyway.

Try and see :)

eobit, Feb 15, 2005 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Don't put all of them in 1 ad. That makes most of them too irrelevant and will hurt your position.

I normally inititally put groups of keywords that all have the words somewhere in the ad (so mostly variations of the same phrase) in one ad. Then after a week have a look at it again and see which words deserve their own ad.

Also, to make the ad better and better, always write two ads for the same set of KW's. Monitor CTR and conversion and keep deleting the worst one and write a new one you think could be better. Keep doing that weekly (depends on the search volumes of those phrases) and you'll end up with killer copy with good positions and low CPC.

T0PS3O, Feb 15, 2005 IP
  5. Juls

Juls Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ok so far i have grouped keywords/phrases based on product groups and have written 2 ads per group. I used the best ad that i had from the initial campaign to come up with the new ads.

my only problem now is not knowing which ad generated what ratio of the total conversions. the only way to compare the ads is to look at which ad had the highest ctr but if i know each ads conversion ratio/# would be much better.

if anyone has any other advice i would love to hear it..

thanks tbarr60, eobit & tops30 for your helps... :)

Juls, Feb 15, 2005 IP
  6. crafty

crafty Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi
    I noticed a post elsewhere on clickfraud and posted it on my new blog which I am just setting up so apologies if not yet perfect.. see here..second post down.

It makes me nervous to think that someone could be sitting there clicking my adword link and sending me broke :eek:

Tony

Power Linking

crafty, Feb 17, 2005 IP
  7. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Obviously, Google has taken necessary precautions and installed smart systems to prevent damage to their clients. Multiple clicks frmo the same guy can be tracked easy enough.

A few invalid clicks might slip the net each month but yuo make it sound like you can send yuor competitor a 10 grand Google bill which is nonsense.

T0PS3O, Feb 17, 2005 IP
  8. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    Sorry to go back to the initial subject but what difference would it make if you got the last positions on the list for 1000 keywords compared to number 1 in the list for 5 keywords. I've not used Adwords yet so this might seem like a newbie question but I was thinking that surely the most economical way of advertising is paying the least for each click?

Weirfire, Feb 17, 2005 IP
  9. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Not sure what you mean with...

Lowest click fee probably means low 'ranking' i.e. your ad won't show on page one hence not getting many impressions. It's like getting cheap advertising in Llandrochyraphelliwidth in Wales; what a deal £10 quid for a year full size billboard. But no one gets to see it so it's worth nothing.

But CPC bid is not the only thing determining your rank. So you can get higher than someone bidding £1 per click with your £0.80 bid when you write better ads (higher CTR) and have a more relevant landing page (I guess they work that out from their natural algo).

T0PS3O, Feb 17, 2005 IP