1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the best value for money HTML editor?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by elizabeth-mary, Apr 9, 2010.

I have been using the Dreamweaver 30 day trial which has just run out. Can't afford to purchase this program just at the moment. Can anyone recommend a free or low cost HTML editor.

elizabeth-mary, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  2. jinmin

jinmin Active Member

Best Answers:
    You may try NVU. It's free and easy to use. If you are building content heavy sites, you may consider XSitePro so that managing content is easier. To build content money site, consider siteprofitbot.com.

Depending on your purpose i.e what type of site you are building, choosing the right editor is important that will make your job easier.

jinmin, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  3. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    vim and emacs.

drhowarddrfine, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  4. kerisblog

kerisblog Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi jinmin,
    May I ask you about Xsitepro <-- is it services provided in the web hosting like Fantastico deluxe, right?

kerisblog, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  5. johns123

johns123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Coffeecup is the best and free html editor which should used for css and html files.

johns123, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  6. eatinfish

eatinfish Peon

Best Answers:
    I've tried NVU and Coffeecup - I like them both however I am fortunate to have a copy of Dreamweaver now which I love & it saves so much time it is worth the money

eatinfish, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  7. jinmin

jinmin Active Member

Best Answers:
    No, it's not. XSitePro is a 3rd party software.
    It's quite powerful if you are thinking of creating content sites. There are lots of features in XSP which may take you a while to master it all...

If you just plan to build a simple site, NVU is more than sufficient. Don't waste money on something that you don't need.

jinmin, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  8. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    If it costs money, you are being taken for a ride and probably being given such complete rubbish code that it's costing you even more money in bandwidth to the point that getting taught it properly from a private tutor would be cheaper in the long run...

Take this steaming pile of manure known as xsitepro we've got some people pointing at here - Let's assume their website is built in it; 302 validation errors means it's not HTML, it gibberish - over half the markup is javascripted and half the content built by DHTML making it an accessibility /FAIL/ - especially when there's nothing on the site that warrants javascript except an assist for hovers on IE, no graceful degradation images off, half the page disappears when javascript is disabled... HTML 3.2 in a HTML4 doctype, tables for layout, presentational markup, no semantics, improper use of table elements, deprecated tags - we're talking a train wreck of "what the devil is this, 1998?"

Entirely typical of EVERY 'tool' for designing websites without actually learning HTML. Anyone points you at a WYSIWYG or similar tool, they're teaching you - as a dearly departed friend put it - how NOT to build a website.

Do yourself a favor, LEARN HTML, CSS, concepts like separation of presentation from content - and then most ANY free text editor is ALL YOU NEED. Crimson Editor, EditPlus, Notepad++, gEdit, Text Wrangler - there's dozens of them, they're all free - PICK ONE, they are all pretty much the same for most users.

deathshadow, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  9. eadler25

eadler25 Peon

Best Answers:
    web page maker is gud software and they are giving free version

eadler25, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  10. bobjutsu

bobjutsu Peon

Best Answers:
    gEdit...can't beat it, well, except textmate but that hasn't been ported to my beloved *Nix yet.

Syntax highlighting
    Code folding
    Bracket and quote matching
    And no other BS

bobjutsu, Apr 10, 2010 IP
  11. JREAM

JREAM Member

Best Answers:
    @bobjutsu -- gEdit is based in the same thing as Notepad++, they are extremely similar and I have used both.
    So to the original poster its a wise idea to learn HTML by hand and CSS by hand without an editor, I would recommend Notepad++. It's free, they have built in color themes to change your editor, and tons of plugins, but its lightweight and has everything you'll ever need for HTML/CSS. I have set it as my default editor for php, html, css, javascript, etc.

Cheers,
    Jesse.

JREAM, Apr 10, 2010 IP
  12. IanT

IanT Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ive been converted from WYSIWYG type editors to Notepad++ and I have to say, even in the last few weeks of learning the coding that I wasnt seeing (because it was in the backend) in the program I was using, in addition to all the weird things it adds that are not really necessary (like in-line styling) .... Id have to say that I have already approved my coding knowledge ever so slightly... its a constant work in progress, but I agree w/ deathshadow....

IanT, Apr 10, 2010 IP
  13. krsix

krsix Peon

Best Answers:
    vim/nano. money = free. code it produces = what virtually every major site runs on.

krsix, Apr 10, 2010 IP
  14. kiwin

kiwin Peon

Best Answers:
    nobody mentioned notepad++ & nvu.

kiwin, Apr 11, 2010 IP
  15. johnsda

johnsda Peon

Best Answers:
    try Aptana. is very good and helps you with syntax also. notepad++ is good also. and they are free. don't have to pay for them

johnsda, Apr 14, 2010 IP
  16. nivedita011

nivedita011 Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you need serial for Dreamweaver 8

nivedita011, Apr 15, 2010 IP
  17. psdtowordpress

psdtowordpress Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

To convert your Design or PSD to XHTML/CSS we use Coda or Dreamweaver, the UI of Coda is lovely!

psdtowordpress, Apr 15, 2010 IP
  18. davidogden

davidogden Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think you can beat EditPlus it produces very clean code and is simple to use, you can preview your work before uploading to your hosting account. you can try it for Free for 30 days.

davidogden, Apr 16, 2010 IP
  19. elizabeth-mary

elizabeth-mary Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes I do
    Can you help?

elizabeth-mary, Apr 28, 2010 IP
  20. dmohan

dmohan Active Member

Best Answers:
    uninstall and download again by giving another email address.

dmohan, Apr 30, 2010 IP