1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the best tool to develop Web-based science/stats/engineering application?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by falco85, Nov 5, 2011.

Hi,

I need to develop a web-based application for scientific/statistics/engineering calculations and I am looking for advice on the best tool to create it. I don't want to pick up my favorite programming language only to know later that I could have done the same job with something better.

The general structure is the following:

- users access a web page and are able to give some inputs
    - inputs are processed internally. I will need this language to have a good library of pre-made science/engineering tools. I need to make heavy use of science/statistics/engineering calculations like I would do with Matlab or Octave offline, for example. I am trying not to reinvent the wheel by writing my own code wherever possible.
    - the web page will need to display outputs (such as 2d plots, 3d plots, contour plots, etc., calculation results, etc.)

On top of that I would like to use HTML/CSS to make user front-ends.

Any advice on what language should I learn to do this more efficiently?

Thanks

falco85, Nov 5, 2011 IP
  2. gtownfunk

gtownfunk Member

Best Answers:
    I have a friend who is a big fan of using Mathematica and their graphing objects for tasks like this. Obviously, engineering people are more interested in actually reading, making sense of, and interpreting the graphs and charts than business people. I think Wolfram Alpha functionality is available via API as well?

gtownfunk, Nov 6, 2011 IP