1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the best link directory script (free)?

Discussion in 'Scripts' started by static1635, Jul 24, 2006.

Hi all

I have now tried about 30 free link directory scripts and none of them suit me. Has anyone got a really good idea for a free one?

I am currently using cplinks, very modified:
    www.greylizard.net/linkdirectory
    but what I don't like is that it is confusing for visitors to add their link. Also I would rather not have sub-categorys.

What I didn't like about other ones was not being search engine friendly and as in the case of php link directory, taking up a massive amount of space on my server. Also I don't want loads of silly features.

I did write my own script once but that became a spam directory.

If anyone has any ideas is would be very appreciated, I am so fed up with looking for the right one.

static1635, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  2. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    The scripts that are available are highly configurable. You are not forced to have sub-categories and through the templates you can adjust the location of the "add link" button.

A lot of the weight of phpLD comes from the fact it incorporates other projects for aspects of the directory -- smarty for page rendering and adodb so that it is not limited to one database. Projects which do not use such things will be smaller.

I am getting close to a have a demo running of something I have been working on. It is significant over-kill compared to what you are asking, but I have been trying to write as tight code as I can in hopes of squeezing out better performance. Right now it is missing a user-friendly installation method and an admin panel.

You have made me think it might not be a bad idea to try to create something modular, where unwanted features are not installed and those files can be removed without affecting the core system. This way the system can be as spartan as you need for a server where space is an issue or be feature rich.

The spam issue is very hard to deal with -- unless you are willing to manage your submissions. You can use captcha -- which a relatively low footprint way to blocking most submission bots. At the other end of the scale you can apply some of the same kind anti-spam measures you might apply to email.

clancey, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  3. ccoonen

ccoonen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    phpld is nice because it's free and you can modify it all you want ;)

ccoonen, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  4. static1635

static1635 Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes modular would be cool, I just spend my time, each time I set one up, taking out features I don't like and putting in ones that are missing (coding by hand that is)

Cplinks annoys me as it produces HTML files and there is no way I can work out to generate php pages in order to use my includes. The includes are incorporated into the html file, so more space used on the server.

The only thing I have to say about cplinks is that it does not get spammed, on the other hand it does not get submissions. I put in a lot of code on other link dirs which stopped the spam (link injection traps), so it is no problem putting it in, shame that the programmers didn't put it in anyway.

I don't mind approving links, but it would be nice to have it automatic as an option. I installed one link dir that was automatic but had not email notification.

I have installed one that was very good in most ways but was not search engine freindly, I forget what it was called. Another that was very good indeed but had far to many silly features (ratings etc) I think that was called 'linker'.

Oh the list is endless. Anyhow I will certainly give phpld a look.

static1635, Jul 25, 2006 IP
  5. static1635

static1635 Active Member

Best Answers:
    ah I see that you were talking about phplinkdirectory, ok I will give it another go, but I was never sure it was search engine friendly....

I will also have to spend a long time taking out features I don't want...

static1635, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  6. static1635

static1635 Active Member

Best Answers:
    NO NO NO NO NO!
    I have zapped phplinkdirectory & cplinks!!
    phpLD is just too big and full of stuff I don't want with stuff I do missing (suggest category for instance) just more hours changing another LD.

I am going back to coding myself and having simple php pages with code to submit the new links to the bottom of each page (MySQL database add), simple.

For my site I need nothing more, only a mailing each time a link is added.

Sorted.:D

static1635, Jul 27, 2006 IP
  7. vistadivine.com@gmail.com

vistadivine.com@gmail.com Banned

Best Answers:
    I have tested lots of free ones. But I cant find any useful one.

Akash Kumar

8. emac

emac Peon

Best Answers:
    any more useful directory scripts out there?

emac, Jul 30, 2006 IP
  9. static1635

static1635 Active Member

Best Answers:
    This URL was posted at this forum before:
    http://
    w
    w
    w
    .internet-search-engines-faq.com/web-directory-scripts.shtml
    I have tried most of them and not found one that is perfect.

static1635, Jul 30, 2006 IP
  10. Radovan_III

Radovan_III Peon

Best Answers:
    .hotscripts.com all scripts u need

Radovan_III, Jul 30, 2006 IP
  11. AoaoSo

AoaoSo Peon

Best Answers:
    i like phpld:)

AoaoSo, Jul 30, 2006 IP
  12. sandossu

sandossu Guest

Best Answers:
    phpld is the best :)

sandossu, Jul 30, 2006 IP
  13. greenworld

greenworld Peon

Best Answers:
    greenworld, Jul 31, 2006 IP
  14. anandg

anandg Active Member

Best Answers:
    The above directory script is nice, however the only issue i found with its working url looks like its running from inside a subdirectory (not sure if i am sounding right here). Other directory scripts you can have a url like http://yourdomain.com/ however with the above it has to http://yourdomain.com/folder/directoryname/.

phpld is good anyday.

anandg, Aug 1, 2006 IP
  15. shamess

shamess Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's probably already been mentioned a few hundred times, but you may find phpLD will suit a lot of your needs. Since it's Open Source, it's free and you can change it as much as you like and get various extentions and plugins.

shamess, Aug 1, 2006 IP
  16. coderlinks

coderlinks Peon

Best Answers:
    I use PHPLD, even if I dont like its code very much. It uses the Smarty templating system a lot. So I dont exactly like that kind of code. But I think its features make up for that.

And I visited your site. I liked the 'Biggles' links. Cuz I love Biggles books too. In fact thats what made me a big fan of flight sim games. :D

Thomas

coderlinks, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  17. senaia

senaia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Im also a big fan of phplinkdirectory. Anyway, if you have almost tried all free scripts and none fits with your website needs, why not hire a freelancer to make you a custom one or find a cheap one with the features your looking for.

senaia, Aug 7, 2006 IP
  18. static1635

static1635 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I run a Biggles Forum by the way:
    http://catforum.jconserv.net/

I don't like phpld as it is far too big on my server, I just spent loads of time taking the bits I didn't want out.

I have made my own custom link dir now, as I don't seem to get submissions anymore anyway, which is odd.

How easy would it be to code a basic link directory does anyone know? Are there any tutorials out there?

static1635, Aug 8, 2006 IP
  19. ryanng

ryanng Peon

Best Answers:
    it seems it's not free?
    "$25 PER directory if you will be including a link back to this site in the footer of your directory
    $75 PER directory if you will not be linking back"

ryanng, Aug 12, 2006 IP
  20. anandg

anandg Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thats the v3.x. Phpld v2.x is free.

Here is the link to the script http://www.phplinkdirectory.com/dmdocuments/phpLD2.zip

anandg, Aug 12, 2006 IP