1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What Is The Best Free Forum Hosting Service?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by DARK_YOSHI92, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MhW

MhW Active Member

Best Answers:
    Avoid FreeForums.org at all costs. Take it from a former support team member ;)

I'd have to agree with the majority of others. prophpBB is the way forward in the free forum hosting industry. Not only do they serve arguably the best free software in the industry, they're honest, professional and trustworthy.

prophpBB recommended :eek:

MhW, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  2. Sir Rusty

Sir Rusty Guest

Best Answers:
    Freepowerboards used to be good until the got a new owner.
    My current favorite is maybe CreateMyBB or Forum Motion.

Sir Rusty, Aug 30, 2009 IP
  3. MrBob88

MrBob88 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've had a fair bit of luck with http://forums.verylittlenonsense.com/

Really is very little nonsense - you just enter the name and admin account of your forum and press a button and it's up and ready to play with. Seems fast enough and I've never seen a popup or flash advert on it either.

MrBob88, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  4. youssef93

youssef93 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I didn't understand what you meant by 'I've given up on finding a partner' but I would REALLY, really recommend that you host your own forum. I had bad experiences with remote forum hosting services and I would definitely not recommend them unless you're just willing to create a forum for you and your friends to hang out, for fun..etc. So why am I really against them?

- NO database access and no backups or database copies.
    - NO FTP access so no special uploads, themes..etc (There are a variety of themes, but you just have to choose from what they offer, you can't get your own)
    - If you start to really grow, you'll have problems because of bandwidth. They do claim unlimited...bla bla bla but at a point, when you really get going, you'll have problems. And at that point, you'll be stuck because most probably you have no way to snatch your database and go find a webhost or a place to offer you more bandwidth.

Take my advice, you can simply download phpbb, mybb...etc, get a free hosting package from any of the gazillion available free hosts and launch you forum. Yes, it's a bit more hassle rather than just a few click to host a forum remotely but it's totally worth it. At least you can always keep a copy of your database in your pocket and you can transfer servers or go anywhere with it without problems.

Hope I've helped you:)

youssef93, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  5. jucktion

jucktion Peon

Best Answers:
    jucktion, Sep 7, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.