1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the best alternative domain extention to .com .net .info .org?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by sylar48, Aug 28, 2010.

1. SiberForum

SiberForum Banned

Best Answers:
    I suppose these could be ccTLD domain names from the country you represent.

SiberForum, Sep 6, 2010 IP
  2. dariusz88

dariusz88 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, you are right. Well,of course, it all depends, what do you want to do with your domain name.
    Do you seriiously want to develop some kind of business then, it is worth to invest in good domain name.
    If you are looking to buy, park and sell then...everything is possible. Just imagination is the limit...:)

dariusz88, Sep 6, 2010 IP
  3. couponmeup

couponmeup Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just get a dot com, after messing about with others, you always come back to wishing you had bought a dot com

couponmeup, Sep 6, 2010 IP
  4. Wasi88

Wasi88 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm aware of the fact that this is an old thread but that topic is still current.

It's not true that the TLD doesn't matter if it comes to SEO. Google (p.e.) want to have the best possible result for the user within a certain SERP. So if the specific user isn't familiar with .co (or even scared by it), the exact same page provided through a .com should actually rank higher. Google may not consider the TLD itself being a big ranking factor within their algorithms (if at all), but they certainly weight user behavior more and more. So you should always use the TLD that matches your project the best.

As others already have pointed out: It's very risky to deal with any of the new gTLDs.
    1. Cost: A lot of them are very expensive
    2. Future: You have no idea which of 'em will actually be established enough in the future
    3. Clarity: It can easily get confusing for people (co => com, web => net, sex => xxx)
    4. Seriousness: Your project will likely be taken less serious and therefore doesn't have the best growth potential
    Getting a 'good' dot com domain isn't that easy anymore but it's still possible and in my opinion worth the effort. I registered my last 5 letter dot com (kyfoo) back in June 2011 and I assume that's still possible. You just have to be creative enough and willing to spend a view hours to actually do whois requests for all the ideas you have.

If you still think you really need an 'alternative' TLD, you may want to create a list of prioritized factors that will help you to decide what the best choice for your specific project could be. The 4 points mentioned above may'll help you with that.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    Wasi88, May 2, 2015 IP
  5. Hostname.club

Hostname.club Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    .co is good enough comparing with .com
    I will also suggest you try to some "innovation" TLD like .io .so or .it

Hostname.club, May 4, 2015 IP
  6. Kamrul Manna

Kamrul Manna Member

Best Answers:
    You are going to start a technology review blog. I think .com or .net will be best for you.

Kamrul Manna, Jul 5, 2015 IP