1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is negative keywords in adwords?

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by DIGICHAT, Jun 13, 2013.

Hi,
    I am setting ad campaign for my site. I would like to know what is the best list for negative keywords and how it's work.

Thanks,
    Best regards

DIGICHAT, Jun 13, 2013 IP
  2. Tom Green

Tom Green Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Really depends on your niche

For example, if you're selling something, makes sense to make "free" be a negative keyword.
    If you're a shoe store, but you don't sell socks as well (for some freaky reason), make "socks" a negative keyword.

All this is done to avoid paying for clicks which may be from interested customers, who are interested in things you CANNOT provide. Thus, it's wasted money.
    Be very careful with 1-word Keywords, be as specific as possible.

If you can't come up with negative keywords in advance, do it as you go, see which keyword combos of 2-3 words in phrase or exact don't convert, make them negative.

Tom Green, Jun 13, 2013 IP
  3. VworkingForce

VworkingForce Banned

Best Answers:
    Well, Tom has just given you a practical example however, i will like to outline the meaning of a negative keywords.

A Negative keywords - are those words which you did not want to target in a specific PPC campaign to avoid or reduce the amount of unwanted traffic to your website.

=>So, the main objective of adding negative keywords is to target specific keywords which are also associated with related words.

=>It helps to reduce high random clicks from people searching for information
    =>It also help to reduce your advertising budget ecc

i.e It will be adviceable for someone who is selling mobile iphone or ipad to add "app" as a negative keyword if, he only sell Iphone or Ipad and not iphone/ipad app.

I hope it help?

Regard's
    Chuck From Vworking Force

VworkingForce, Jun 15, 2013 IP
  4. Maya2013

Maya2013 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the information. I am setting up a campaign for my website everydayyardsale.com
    I need a lot of help with regards to Google adwords.

Maya2013, Jun 15, 2013 IP
  5. zkvision

zkvision Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would recommend that you need to understand your area, once you know what are your targeted keywords then anything similar to it and you don't want traffic from those keywords are your negative keywords, a good negative keyword list usually takes 3 months as you see your search terms when you receive clicks and any keyword you don't want to get traffic from you can add it to your negative keyword list.

if you are not sure then 'exact and phrase' keywords targeting is good as you won't require a lot of negative keywords, negative keywords works good with broad match keywords targeting.

I hope this helps

zkvision, Jun 18, 2013 IP
  6. animesh

animesh Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can not find best list of negative keywords.
    While doing keywords research via keywords tool, you may see some keywords that are not relevant to your business. just pick them as negative keywords.

animesh, Jun 19, 2013 IP
  7. MayurKawale

MayurKawale Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The keywords on which you don't want to trigger your add. Means you want to show add for keyword "shoes" but not for keyword "Socks". Here socks is the negative keywords for your campaign. If you talking about area specific then the keywords related to area where you don't wanna show your add can put as NEGATIVE keyword/s

MayurKawale, Jun 29, 2013 IP
  8. Kyle Stester

Kyle Stester Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    @Tom Green..Thanks for sharing your knowledge i was also looking for negative keywords and cleared the concept through your post.

Kyle Stester, Jun 29, 2013 IP
  9. ajblade

ajblade Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i would at least suggest you 1 word to include in negative keywords that is "free" :) at least that fits in most of the niches rest you can use keywords tool to classify relative keys

ajblade, Aug 2, 2013 IP