1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is it called?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Shorty78, Aug 22, 2004.

:confused:
    I work for a travel agency and we are going virtual (slow paced start off). I am trying to find out exactly what or who to find to create a search engine, the type where you put in the date, or location (as you see on travel web sites) and it will search within our website only for the matches. I'm sorry to ask what's probably a stupid question, but is it just a regualr search engine? Is that what I ask for to be created?
    Thanks!

Shorty78, Aug 22, 2004 IP
  2. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Searching within a normal web site is called site search.

You may need some sort of special database search, depending upon how your travel deals are stored on your server.

Will.Spencer, Aug 22, 2004 IP
  3. steve5jack

steve5jack Peon

Best Answers:
    No, you don't want a 'search engine'. That term typically refers to a tool to search the whole internet. It sounds like you want to search some data records based on certain fields.... kind of like searching a phone book based on just the first or last name. Really you just want your own database and then the ability to search that from a web page. If you are going to be talking to web development companies, you probably want a simple SQL database that a customer can search based on the date, location, or whatever fields you want.

steve5jack, Aug 22, 2004 IP
  4. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    you are looking at flight engines AFO (Avaialable flights only) - Amadeus has one of the best. Expensive as GDS charge per hit.
    Flight consolidatior offer these for affiliation.
    Only when you are ATOL / ABTA can you ticket and sell packages e.g. flight and hotel.
    Hotel is same hotel engines are abvailable from consolidators or all larger chains or you can invest into your own - hotel connect has one for example.

So it goes on for car hire etc pp

Best of luck
    M

expat, Aug 23, 2004 IP
  5. Shorty78

Shorty78 Guest

Best Answers:
    :confused:

Actually, we are just starting off our site. I am not looking to contract with Pegasus or Sabre and other GDS systems currently.
    I am looking for an ability for my site to be able to search info on my site with a search engine... not actual real time rsvn system.
    What is this engine actually called? Is it metadata? Is it just regular CGI or PERL or PHP?
    I'm so confused. I read on all the ones posted they don't seem to be the one I'm looking for~ :(

Shorty78, Aug 23, 2004 IP
  6. nriweb

nriweb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Shorty78, looks like what u r looking for is a site search for your website. If your site is listed with google, you can just go with a google sitesearch. Else you can install a site search script.

nriweb, Sep 25, 2004 IP