1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is Google Sandbox effect?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Hyder Ali, Dec 17, 2008.

Hi,

The Google Sandbox effect is an alleged restriction placed on new websites. The result is that a new site does not receive good rankings for its most important keywords and keyword phrases for few months. Even with good content, many inbound links, a new website may still adversely affected by the Sandbox effect. The Google Sandbox acts as a probation for new sites, probably to discourage spam sites from rising quickly, getting banned, and repeating the process.Thus the Google Sandbox is very similar to a new website being placed on probation whose rank is kept lower than expected in searches, prior to being given full value for its inbound links and content.

Why did Google create the Sandbox?

It is thought Google created the Sandbox filter for new sites to stop spam sites that purchase numerous inbound links, and rank highly for their keywords from the date of launch. As Google apparently considers a high number of links pointing to a site from the beginning to be rather suspicious, the inbound links are not considered to be natural. Another possibility is that spam sites would use various tactics to rise to the top of the search results, and gain heavy sales prior to being banned for violating Google’s Terms of Service; and then repeating the process continually. As a result, new sites are put on a probation period, and this effect is usually referred to as the Google Sandbox.

Is there really a Google Sandbox?

Not all SEO experts agree that Google Sandbox exists as a separate filter from other alleged Google filters. Many of them do not even agree that Google uses a system of filters at all. Skeptics believe that the phenomenon merely echoes already existing Google algorithm calculations, and the Sandbox effect is an illusion. Note that Google has all but admitted recently that the Sandbox filter is real.

Which sites are placed in the Sandbox?

While all types of new sites can be placed in the Google Sandbox, the problem appears much more frequently for new websites seeking rankings for highly competitive keywords and keyword phrases. All sites are likely to be given a term in the Sandbox, but those websites seeking rankings for keywords that are in high demand are probably in for a much longer duration in the sandbox.

Why some sites never seem to been in the Google Sandbox? You can avoid having your site in the Google Sandbox for several reasons. Sites targeting non-competitive keywords and phrases are often left out of the Google Sandbox as there is little point in applying the filter. Keep in mind, however, that even less competitive search terms can be Sandboxed, but their much shorter stay in the sandbox often goes entirely unnoticed.

How long is a site stays in the Google Sandbox?

Stays in the Google Sandbox can vary from one to six months, with three to four months being the averahe time frame. Less competitive searches will be given the much shorter stay in the sandbox, while hyper-competitive keywords will often spend six months in the sandbox. The filter will be gradually decreased over time, and will lose most of its dampening effect in about three months. However, for the most competitive search keyword phrases, the Sandbox filter might remain in full force for six months.

How do I know if a site is in the Sandbox?

If your site has a good Google PageRank and incoming links, and it shows up in search results for some secondary search phrases, but the site is nowhere to be found for the most important searches; then it is very likely the site has been placed in the Google Sandbox.

How to know if it’s the Sandbox and not a Google penalty?

If a site is punished from a Google penalty, the site would not appear in the Google search engine results pages (SERPs) for even the less important keyword searches. The site would also show no PageRank or even a grey bar on the Google Toolbar in case of Google penalty. The alleged Google Sandbox filter is apparently designed to concern itself with the more competitive keywords as they are more likely to have spam sites, purchased inbound links Google deems unnatural, and probably more manipulation attempts being made.

Will joining of Google AdWords or Google Adsense prevent being placed in the Sandbox?

Joining paid programs like Google Adwords and Google Adsense will have no effect on your site’s duration in the Google Sandbox. Those programs could provide much needed traffic while your site remains in the Sandbox. Participation in the various Google paid advertising programs will not keep your site out of Sandbox, or shorten your stay, despite what some myths would have you believe.

Are there any other Google filters like the Sandbox?

The alleged dampening filter on new incoming links is often mistaken for the Sandbox. Many search engine optimization experts think that new incoming links are not given immediate full credit. The purpose of that gradual passing along of Google PageRank and link popularity, is to discourage purchasing of incoming links, and various linking schemes designed only to increase a site’s standing in the Google search rankings.

How to get out of Google Sandbox ?

Time is the only real escape from the Sandbox. Depending on the competitiveness of your most important keywords, that time can vary from one to six months, with three to four months being the average duration. In the meantime, continue to improve your site contents, and be prepared to make a rapid rise once the Sandbox probation ends.

What should I do while my site is still stuck in the Sandbox?

While your site is stuck in the Sandbox, it’s best to continue adding fresh keyword rich content and new incoming links to your site. Adding inbound links will ensure that they lessen any possible new link dampening filter that might be in effect. The links would be well aged, and ready to pass along their full value of PageRank and link popularity, as the site comes out of the Google Sandbox.

So it is better to concentrate on adding more keyword rich pages, and don’t forget both on page and off page factors. On the page, make sure your title tags match the most important keywords for that page. It is a good idea to add a site map and be sure that all of your pages link properly to one another with appropriate link anchor text containing the keywords for that page. Off page link anchor text should be set up to include keywords for the receiving page as well. This will make sure that when the filter is lifted, your improved site will rise rapidly to its proper place at the top of the search rankings.

Should I keep getting new links to my website while in sandbox?

The Sandbox is an ideal time to start adding incoming links to your site. Because of the alleged new links dampening filter, adding links while in the Sandbox solves two filters at once. If the newly added links are indeed dampened by a filter, then their full value should take effect just as your site comes out from the Sandbox. Be sure to add strong keyword rich anchor text to your incoming links, and vary it to include several keyword combinations.

How long it takes to appear in the SERPS after leaving the Sandbox?

The length of time required to achieve your site’s proper ranking is difficult to quantify as so many variables are taken into consideration. If you have been adding well anchor text covered inbound links from relevant websites, your rise will be much faster than someone who has not continued to add incoming links. It will also assist your site’s ascent to search prominence by constantly adding keyword rich content. Of course, the more competitive the keywords you are targetting, the longer and harder is the climb.

How can I avoid being placed in the Sandbox ?

The Sandbox can be avoided to a degree by making the site prior to its being fully ready for prime time. While the site will be placed in low rankings, it will start the clock ticking on its Sandbox duration time. Be sure to add as many incoming links as possible to get past the alleged new links dampening filter. Keep adding keyword rich content to your site. Anything that can be done to speed up your site’s appearance on the internet, including the purchase of an already existing domain, should be considered. With proper time management, a site can avoid the Google Sandbox entirely.

Hyder Ali, Dec 17, 2008 IP
  2. drakudemine

drakudemine Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried to put up some spam/feeder blogs at one time and yes, I did get this sandox feeling on them. I think the best way to avoid the sandbox effect is to simply build a good site, do not think about spam and work on it. Time is the one factor that is decisive in the end. If Google Sandbox exists and you are placed in it then the only option is to continue work. As time passes google will eventually pull you out of it for sure if the content is good and no spam is felt.

drakudemine, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  3. YSeo

YSeo Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info
    When your website doesn't come up for any keyword , it is in the sandbox.

YSeo, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  4. ForexTradingZone

ForexTradingZone Peon

Best Answers:
    I remember reading about it but I can't remember where. Do you have a link to an official/semi-official source for this? Thanks.

ForexTradingZone, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  5. westside85

westside85 Peon

Best Answers:
    Is this tool hopeful, http://sandbox.google.com/ ? from them

westside85, Dec 30, 2008 IP
  6. indrazz

indrazz Peon

Best Answers:
    google sand box makes our blog never get high pagerank right??

indrazz, Dec 31, 2008 IP
  7. joslim66

joslim66 Peon

Best Answers:
    If a website won't even come up for its name is this also the sandbox effect. Even when i type in the www. and the name it won't come up. The site does have pagerank, so the toolbar PR is not grey.

joslim66, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  8. diaadriansyah

diaadriansyah Peon

Best Answers:
    Good article for begin new idea

diaadriansyah, Jan 23, 2009 IP
  9. liquid4rchiv3

liquid4rchiv3 Peon

Best Answers:
    That was a great post I think my site is in the sandbox maybe im just complaining to much lol 6 months is a long time but that gives me time to put some content on my site.

liquid4rchiv3, Jan 30, 2009 IP
  10. bradchawla

bradchawla Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks For sharing the information its really good information..

Thank You.

bradchawla, Mar 1, 2009 IP
  11. Aurelius25

Aurelius25 Peon

Best Answers:
    perhaps they will blacklist your site or banned your adsense.furthermore your traffic will drop

Aurelius25, Oct 31, 2011 IP
  12. indika250

indika250 Member

Best Answers:
    good post and today i know about Google sand box.i have site with pr2 but not in Google first page.but it has ranking factors more than other web sites in Google.lk now i know why.thanks

indika250, Nov 16, 2011 IP
  13. moonbutt

moonbutt Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes it happens , but i witnessed one thing. Very frequently blog do not go into sandbox as easily . I created two blogs - In one i added all articles once and start backlink campaign like crazy and it was very less competitive keyword. In second I updated every 3 days with some content and did backlinking in same way. But second never sanbozed but first hard hit, still not coming up.... Just look like a natural blogger.... it my experience ..other's may vary

moonbutt, Dec 9, 2011 IP
  14. RamCity

RamCity Peon

Best Answers:
    RamCity, Jan 13, 2012 IP
  15. McCoyH

McCoyH Member

Best Answers:
    Wow I was never aware of any sandbox effect. IF it is real, it does explain a lot of questions I had regaurding any of my sites pageranks in the first months after launch.

McCoyH, Jan 14, 2012 IP
  16. drummermike

drummermike Peon

Best Answers:
    It doesn't really effect pagerank, just rank in SERPs.

drummermike, Jan 15, 2012 IP
  17. cheenki

cheenki Peon

Best Answers:
    The Google Sandbox Effect is a theory used to explain why newly-registered domains or domains with frequent ownership changes rank poorly in Google Search Engine Results Pages (SERPS). In other words new websites are put into a “sandbox” or a holding area and have their search ratings on hold until they can prove worthy of ranking.

cheenki, Jan 23, 2012 IP
  18. Sam Gilmore

Sam Gilmore Peon

Best Answers:
    Google's sandbox is a filter that appeared to be put in place back in March of 2004. This happened after the widely publicized updates of Austin and Florida, and the implementation of what is known as the Austin update. If you are not sure what those are, there is no need to worry as those updates are now for the most part in the past. The sandbox filter seems to affect nearly all new websites placing them on an initial "probation" status. The effect of this is that new websites may get into Google's SERP's (search engine results pages) relatively quickly and may even perform well for a couple of weeks. When the filter is applied to the new website it is referred to as being put in the "sandbox". The new website will still show in the result pages, but it will not rank well regardless of how much original, well optimized content and regardless of how many quality inbound links the site may have. The filter restrains new websites from having immediate success in the search engine result pages.

Sam Gilmore, Jan 26, 2012 IP
  19. Webexpertz

Webexpertz Peon

Best Answers:
    Sandbox are some times good but some time it is horrible.......

Webexpertz, Sep 5, 2012 IP
  20. Enric

Enric Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    okay

it may be there that some keywords is in good ranking but some of the most important keywords are in low ranking and also are constant there for a long time like more then 2 years . if we place a new good website.
    can we consider this as a sandbox effect. How to avoid this....?

Enric, Sep 8, 2012 IP