1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is Google Blink?

Discussion in 'Google+' started by Michael Smith Sydney, Jul 11, 2013.

I have been hearing a lot about this new Google Blink and how Google has forked webkit.

Could someone explain what is Google Blink and what specific changes has Google made from standard webkit?

Also do these changes effect website designers or developers like me?

Michael Smith Sydney, Jul 11, 2013 IP
  2. Martin GIbson

Martin GIbson Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, so Google Blink as you said is a fork of webkit and the main goal is to clean up the unnecessary files from webkit as webkit is used in so many different ways, on so many devices there is a lot of waste.

This also includes cleaning up the existing code base. The main benefit of this of course is that it should hopefully speed up the browser especially from booting.

For a web developer the biggest pain on this is that initially anyway Google Blink wont support browser specific CSS. So code like:

-moz-border-radius:5px;

there will be no Blink equivalent, e.g.

-blink-border-radius:5px;

Apart from this from a developer perspective it wont make too much of a difference. I think overall this is a good move as it means that Google can now develop the browser at a faster rate and doesn't need to be held back by Apple and other companies that use webkit. I hope that helps!

Martin GIbson, Jul 11, 2013 IP