1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

what is dp really doing about the scammers except banning everyone?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by dhw, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Why are memberships being accepted when new memebers names ressembles exisitng members. The difference could be a comma, full stop or number.
    All should be manualy reviewed and if they are even simmilar in sound - not used.

I would like a direct contact with a head person - not a moderator ( sorry guys but I can guess desisions vary depending on whos shift it falls)
    to explain to me what is being done about the recent purge of scammers.
    I recently posted a thread asking for help in assisting a good member that I have no connection to - except using her blogging services. In a very short time we had a number of good itrader members beating the same drum that she should not be banned.

There may of course be an absolute reason that she is banned - and I accept that - however what I do find bizzare is the blatant clarity of what happens - who makes the decssions and why.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=552324

You guys are behind one screen and your memebers are behind hundreds - which is immpossible for you mods - there is info presented on these forums that will help you fight scamamers - but you need to listen. We want the forum to stay clean - -we want to help - but you have to listen.

I replied to an email 3 times about bumping threads and was not replied to once. I had to ask here on this forum what it was and how to stop it.
    Talk to your customers -

What I expect to happen is for this thread to be closed or removed - what would be help is some clear answers - from a high place.

You may be moderating a forum here but at the press of a button - you can make someones life very differnt or difficult by cutting out thier income

I would be very appreciative of any support that anyone can put behind this

Make this forum safer - david

dhw, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  2. samantha pia

samantha pia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Mod do listen, and mods ban clone accounts.
    it is not your place to question why she was banned and it had nothing to do with the fact she was cloned 2 days before.
    if they banned the clone 2 days before, and she was banned because of that clone, she would have been banned at the same time.

scammers scam, thats what they do,. DP mods are not cops nor a court or judge. but when a clone account is found, it is only to deceive members acting as another member. and as the staff have the solid proof on DP. they act and ban the clone.

you can edit any msn log or screenshot, but you cant edit a cloned name. so that is the 100% proof the staff have and use when banning clone scammers.

stupidity is not against the DP TOS
    end of

samantha pia, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  3. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    I am very confused about this whole situation with the member in question. I trust the mods/admin know what they are doing. I have had several convos with some of them from time to time about certain matters and I never once thought they didn't know what was going on.

They do quite a bit of work behind the scenes. Yes, on rare occasions, they might make a mistake. However, they are not too "high & mighty" to admit a mistake and rectify it (I hope I worded that correctly?).

I am not delving into this matter any further and not commenting on it either. I will leave it to the appropriate people in appropriate places to do what they do.

Regards,

Col :)

Cheap SEO Services, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  4. samantha pia

Best Answers:
    strange comment to make, because thats what this post is Col.
    delving and commenting :rolleyes:

samantha pia, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Are you volunteering to manually review 100000+ members? While you are doing that, are you really going to be able to remember people who's username *sounds* similar (since you can't search based on sounds)?

digitalpoint, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  6. dhw

dhw Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks you for your reply I appreciate your time

Review 1m memebers not the current members -at least not at this moment but certinly for new applications - this is a more prevalant and growing issue on DP and you need to start somewhere. There are many more simmilar cases from the forums.

It would be very difficult to go backwards but we do need to go forward. I am sure that there are a few script writters out there that could help write a search script.

This was brought to my attention by a case with a person that I buy blogs from - but it has made me more aware of the issue. There is of course confidentiality and issues that I am not aware of- but from the outside the system and methods seems unclear.

I am not a mixer in this type of forum - or in life for that matter - but i will stand for , try to understand better what I believe is unfair - or could be bettered. There needs to be transparancy in this issue. What people dont know they make up for themselves

Assistance needs to be offered for at least first time offenders or people like myself that clearly have no track record of offending ( Ie the very first email for my first penatly would have put me right to avoid others ) I emailed DP forums 3 times to ask a question of why I was receving infractions of bumping threads - it took myself to ask weeks latter on the forum to find a solution - so in a simmilar vein clear expainations need to be given for first time offenders- repaeat offenders I understand need to be treated in a differnt way.

But stopping / preventing or at least making more difficult new memberships that clearly try and scamm other good memebers names needs to be a starting point

Regards
    David

dhw, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  7. kewlchat

kewlchat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Shawn is right and i believe they are doing all that they can..
    Its not that many scamers on here. Sure some but when they are found out then they are baned.
    And not left to run amuck like on some other forums.
    I get solicited for scams more over my household telephone then i ever have here..

My opinion/advice is that if your worried about being scamed then remember the golden rule
    (If it sounds to good to be true it probally is.)

Im sure your upset that your friend was baned and mabye you feel it unfair.. but you cant expect the impossiable for the mods to be perfect and stop every scammer from making a new identity.

kewlchat, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  8. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am not sure I understand the concept of impersonation on DP, just because I reg a name similar to another member it will show that I am new, that I have very few posts and zero iTrader, so how will people think I am the 'other' member?

jg123, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  9. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Are you just bitching because you have a bunch of infractions? Is that what this is all about? Be honest....

Crazy_Rob, Nov 13, 2007 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  10. inworx

inworx Peon

Best Answers:
    Mods do not have enough time to have a look at every member, what he's doing. Its *your* responsibility whom you deal with. Mods aren't saying to deal with scammers, so why'd they involve in deal between two members.

inworx, Nov 13, 2007 IP
    Shazz likes this.
  11. Shazz

Shazz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Be safe, think twice, and follow your instincts :D

Shazz, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  12. DarkX

DarkX Peon

Best Answers:
    In short, babysit all? that would be dumb. :)

DarkX, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  13. dhw

dhw Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you just bitching because you have a bunch of infractions? Is that what this is all about? Be honest....

No its nothing to do with infractions at all - Personal i am big enough and ugly enough to deal with a few taps on the back of the hand - intentional or not. I have not been affected at all by this issue personaly ,income, reputation - however i do know people who have been affected and thier sole income has been suspended due to spammers. This has highlighted 2 areas

What my concern is about is 2 fold
    1. The security - Spammers are copying other memebrs id to almost the letter with a coma or full stop as a differnce. They are then spamming other members posing as the stolen memebrs name. As much as you can say well that would not get me - thats fair and well as many commentors on this thread have 1000's of postings and know exactly what they are looking for - Itrader and so on.

Not everyone is experienced as you and the newer members ( and some old ) are getting caught out by this.
    My suggestion is simply to ensure that look alike accounts can not be made - stop it at source - Simple. That is not baby sitting people ( remember if this scam did not work... sammers would not do it ) it is about putting in place security measures to protect the members and the name and reputation of this forum.

2. the communication - The lack of it - I do realise and appreciate it takes a lot of work to keep such a super forum running ( and i do think it is s good site) - nothing in life is perfect including all of the mebers on this forum myself included. But we can all learn - there has to be a sytem where communication can be made back to memebrs - especialy newer ones - ( this can be done on an automated system - it all ready the system. If you cause an infraction you recieve the following automated email )

Please see below email recieved form webmaster@DP regarding first infraction

cc
    subject You have received an infraction at Digital Point Forums
    memo Dear dhw,

You have received an infraction at Digital Point Forums.

Reason: Bumping Thread
    -------
    You just bumped a year old thread. Bump deleted. Always check thread date before posting. Link sales are rarely valid a year later.
    -------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=4471250#post4471250

---Quote---
    Let me know the details please
    ---End Quote---

I replied to that asking what it meant and how to avoid it - no reply - 3 times no reply
    Thats what I mean by lack of.

What would be helpfull and more explicit in the email
    " please do not reply to this email as no anwers will be given due to volumes of mails recieved. If in doubt rearding this email go to Questions forum and ask for advice there " - It is not a case of changing the whole system - only the content to make it more explicit.

Any road up - that is my 10p worth - thanks for comments good or bad
    But a whinge it aint! - If there is anything picked up on it fair and well - if not at least I tried

dhw, Nov 14, 2007 IP
  14. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=216611

hrm, when you get a infraction they have this handy little sticky thread called " Infractions - Please Read". Which isn't really that hard to find.

Looking at the date of the thread "Jun 27th 2006, 6:56 pm". Over a year old really since it is Nov of 2007.

---

As for the scammers. It isn't digitalpoints job to police everyone. I know of several other forums that will not do a darn thing unless presented with a DCMA notice for the items people are trying to sell that are being scammed. I had one of my scripts for sale on several other forums illegally and I had to jump through hoops each time a new thread sprang up. Digitalpoint was the only one that took me seriously from the first report. Also, it is a big job. They need your help in reporting violations. That is why the [​IMG] button is on each post. So, you can give a detailed report why the thread or person is in violation of certain things. It isn't digitalpoints job to let the general forum populous know what they did and why they did it. So, for your friend it could be just they got to many infractions towards them and was banned because of that.

exodus, Nov 14, 2007 IP
    mcfox likes this.
  15. dhw

dhw Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok - so why does it not say that on the email that you recieve - automaticaly?
    You know it - others dont
    This is the first forum of its type that I have joined - and i am sure that I am not alone

dhw, Nov 14, 2007 IP
  16. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Wheesht, min.

mcfox, Nov 14, 2007 IP
  17. samantha pia

Best Answers:
    work does go on in the background, in the last 2 months i have personally given enough info to have over 50 accounts banned.
    ranging from:
    20+ dupe accounts
    15 pharm spam gang members
    10 cloned accounts
    and about 20 others for other reasons.

the work involved in tracking and tracing the accounts can be very time consuming i spent 8 hours just tracing all 15 members of the Pharm spam gang.

cloned accounts are really easy to spot, the stupidity is that once the clone has seen a thread and made up the yahoo/msn account and make contact via that, people ask for a pm on DP and the clone tells them they sent a pm while on yahoo/msn and says hurry up i need to have the deal done fast as i have to leave in a few minutes.

stupidity the takes over and people see the popup saying they have a pm from the person, and just accept that as the pm without even looking at it and seeing that it is a new account with no itrader no posts no rep nothing

there is no need for anyone to be scammed on DP, if they are, it is down to their own stupidity.

the more that get scammed frankly the better, it might open peoples eyes more and make them learn how to spot a scammer.

not all charge backs are a scam BTW, some people charge back because they didnt get what they thought, and then the scammer screams scammer for the charge back.

samantha pia, Nov 14, 2007 IP
  18. Notting

Notting Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What a stupid thing to say.

I think you should goto bed, close your eyes, and go to sleep. You'll wake up feeling refreshed and hopefully not talk so much rubbish...

Notting

Notting, Nov 14, 2007 IP
  19. dhw

dhw Peon

Best Answers:
    If that is the magnatude of the problem - and that is just from you - I feel more justified in asking for more security measures on DP
    samantha - as a person with so many posts I am surprised that you have said the more the merrier. New members look up to people like yourself for help and so on - not the place I think to say " serves you right" !!
    How would you feel if your name was used to scam and then you get barred - even temp as the investigation is carried out- not pleased I bet . You to sell here so it is your income as well.

To quote you

dhw, Nov 14, 2007 IP
    JoyGoRound likes this.
  20. samantha pia

Best Answers:
    i got your clone banned within a few minutes, the stupidity is people not doing the right checking up, not looking at what is being said. and greed to make a few bux on money exchanges that are against Paypal's TOS and most others TOS

who's the fool for being scammed? i sure aint.

and you should thank me for getting your clone banned before he could scam to many people. ;)

samantha pia, Nov 14, 2007 IP
    Notting likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.