1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is better PHP or ASP?????

Discussion in 'Programming' started by keral82, Dec 5, 2005.

1. kkibak

kkibak Peon

Best Answers:
    which, from a coding perspective, really seem almost the same to me. small syntax differences

kkibak, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  2. GetWebHost

GetWebHost Active Member

Best Answers:
    Syntax doesn't matter for me. It's all with performance and usability. I'll go with PHP :)

GetWebHost, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  3. dav1e215

dav1e215 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I started learning PHP, it does seem pretty easy so far...

dav1e215, Jan 27, 2006 IP
  4. wwm

wwm Peon

Best Answers:
    Object Oriented PHP5!

why? because im a java freak (yes yes call me old fashioned)
    and i love the way php doesnt constrain u to always use OO like java, so this way quick scripts are done quickly and complex projects are done with proper OO

wwm, Jan 28, 2006 IP
  5. pulikuttann

pulikuttann Banned

Best Answers:
    I am a Open Source lover and a newbie in PHP.

I am inviting all PHP and ASP Programmers to comment on this topic.

ASP or PHP is the best ?

I think its PHP bcoz its used in more than trillion sites across the world and since most of the servers are running Linux PHP is the best.But the coders should be aware of all security since all the codes should be self written.

pulikuttann, Mar 12, 2007 IP
  6. bibel

bibel Active Member

Best Answers:
    PERL is the best language for developing huge (complicated) web applications.
    PHP is best to use for smaller (simpler) applications.
    I don't think much about ASP, but i don't know, i haven't worked with it.

bibel, Mar 12, 2007 IP
  7. SeLfkiLL

SeLfkiLL Active Member

Best Answers:
    The reason why anyone would want to learn ASP is because the industry world trusts big corporations like Microsoft. There needs to be someone to hold accountable and some place to pour money into to get what you need, and that's what commercial products like the IIS + ASP webserver "package" is there for. However, there are still cases where PHP is used on big industry websites.

SeLfkiLL, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  8. avantis

avantis Guest

Best Answers:
    With new Zend Framework much easier to code large scale web applications, basically same as web side of ASP.NET.

IMHO ASP is dead (not ASP.NET).

avantis, Mar 15, 2007 IP
  9. ccoonen

ccoonen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ASP is a pretty solid language, but its old and lots of tings have deprecated (ASP Classic that is)

PHP is more robust and has more support than Classic - but ASP.NET 2.0 kicks the SHIT out of PHP... don't believe me? just install VisaulStudio and ride the Intellisense Highway!

PHP is the best (for the PRICE) but if you can afford VS 2005 - it's definitely worth it and it'll change your life :)

ccoonen, Mar 16, 2007 IP
  10. teddarling

teddarling Peon

Best Answers:
    I would have to agree the ASP.NET is far more powerful than PHP 5.0 and even the upcoming PHP 6. I'm a big fan of PHP, but since I've started using ASP.NET 2.0 (with 3.0 just released), I'm starting to move away from PHP further and further. (Intellisense doesn't matter as Zend Studio has great Intellisense type support)

How long will it take you in PHP to build a user management and profile section from scratch. I'm sure it will take longer than the hour or less it takes in ASP.NET.

Can you check that a user has permission to access the url requested before ever getting to the page in PHP? I think not. With ASP.NET, a simple HttpModule created can redirect the user before the page is ever accessed and the code of that page processed. Why process the resources if they're not needed.

When you talk about PHP being faster, you might be right on a small site with few people visiting it. But when you start talking about user numbers in the tens or hundreds of thousands of users, PHP almost always seems to start chocking and ASP.NET just keeps plugging along with little or no change in speed.

There is so much that you can do with ASP.NET right out of the box that PHP can't (out of the box). To get anywhere near the functionality that ASP.NET has in PHP, you would need to write your own extensions in C. Most PHP programmers would never be able to do that. Most of them that can, would be able to do more even with .NET outside of the web.

How about namespaces? PHP has no support for that either and it doesn't look like they are planning to add it to PHP 6 even. They're everwhere in ASP.NET. In fact you can't even create a project in VS 2005 without namespaces being started for you by default.

I still like PHP as it has it's place in the world. It performs much better at string manipulation than classic ASP for sure and maybe even ASP.NET. But for data access and business logic, ASP.NET is far superior.

Ted

teddarling, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  11. tamilsoft

tamilsoft Banned

Best Answers:
    PHP..PHP.. PHP,

PHP is better than ASP in security and features...........

tamilsoft, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  12. Keyrevo

Keyrevo Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not a programmer but I see many scripts are coded in PHP now. Seems more popular so it might be better. Cheers! :)

Keyrevo, Aug 24, 2007 IP
  13. NeoRu

NeoRu Peon

Best Answers:
    ASP.NET is A LOT faster. But it requires Windows which is pricey.

NeoRu, Sep 7, 2010 IP
  14. freshdevelopment

freshdevelopment Notable Member

Best Answers:
    People like free stuff. PHP is free. PHP wins.

freshdevelopment, Sep 7, 2010 IP
  15. coledavis

coledavis Member

Best Answers:
    PHP, easily, unless you are for some reason committed to a Windows server (and as the WWW itself doesn't care which you use, I can't see why).

coledavis, Sep 7, 2010 IP
  16. hotladylucy

hotladylucy Peon

Best Answers:
    PHP. Without a doubt.

hotladylucy, Jul 21, 2011 IP
  17. p.caspian

p.caspian Peon

Best Answers:
    PHP is easier for who is learning only webpage designing language. But to me ASP.net is suitable cause I wanna make a software which has two parts Desktop part and web part. And I have learned C# for making Desktop application.

p.caspian, Jul 26, 2011 IP