1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is best server for my website

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Muhammad Nasir Iftekhar, Mar 27, 2014.

Hi,
    I am getting 500000 daily hits on my website developed in Joomla. I am using this dedicated server for hosting:

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66 Ghz
    o 12000 GB Monthly Bandwidth Transfer
    o 8192 MB (8 GB) RAM
    o 1 x 1.0 TB SATA 7200 RPM Hard Disk Drive
    o 100 Mpbs Port Speed
    o Linux Enterprises CentOS 6.5 (Final)
    o Parallels Plesk Panel (100 Domains)

But I am not happy with performance. Apache server usage goes up to 70 percent when I have more than 2500 online active visitors at a time. It also slows down website opening time.

I will appreciate if anyone can guide me where should I migrate finally...
    One this which is most important I want these 2 specs same as this is most essential for joomla :
    o Linux Enterprises CentOS 6.5 (Final)
    o Parallels Plesk Panel (100 Domains)

Any advise ?

Thanks in Advance.

Muhammad Nasir Iftekhar, Mar 27, 2014 IP
  2. Shagoon

Shagoon Notable Member

Best Answers:
    First of all a CPU upgrade is needed, your current CPU isn't exactly made for servers... get a much more powerful Xeon CPU.

Secondly you might consider a 1gbps connection for better latency.

If Apache is too slow you might want to take a look at LiteSpeed, which is up to 9 times faster than Apache.

Do you need your server to be in a specific Country? What is your monthly budget for the server?

Shagoon, Mar 27, 2014 IP
  3. Muhammad Nasir Iftekhar

Muhammad Nasir Iftekhar Member

Best Answers:
    My budget is 200 and server should must be in US, UK, Canada, Australia or Germany

Muhammad Nasir Iftekhar, Mar 28, 2014 IP
  4. Shagoon

Shagoon Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well $200 per month is not that great for a good server, especially no budget for SSD and LiteSpeed, but here's what I came up with from Hivelocity:

This one compared to your current one has a better CPU, and RAID 1 HDDs to keep your data safe in case of hardware failure:
    http://i.gyazo.com/1c46935d11c823bb76ed855951715c5e.png
    https://store.hivelocity.net/product/12/customize/

==========

While this one has way more RAM and an even better CPU, RAID 1 HDDs, a better port speed (1Gbps), but has a setup fee of $68
    http://i.gyazo.com/244aeb5621ceef1e8e078635c9888291.png
    https://store.hivelocity.net/product/20/customize/

==========

Anyway, joomla doesn't really need CentOS or Parallels Plesk Panel to run, you might consider going cPanel as it's better than Plesk.

Shagoon, Mar 28, 2014 IP
  5. obosor

obosor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your budget is reasonable. You will get better config for this budget. Do you need managed or Unmanaged server?

obosor, Mar 28, 2014 IP
  6. MikeLugar

MikeLugar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You may have to do some optimization as well which could save you a bit of money. Are you using Caching by any chance?

MikeLugar, Mar 28, 2014 IP
  7. HostColor

HostColor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Muhammad,

You would get a Intel Xeon E3 based server with SAS2 hard drive at 10,000 RPM which would give you much better performance for $200 per month or a little bit less.

HostColor, Mar 28, 2014 IP
  8. oneilonline

oneilonline Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can get a huge upgrade for that budget!
    We have a number of servers that can easily handle your requirements.
    Dual Xeon or E3, at least 16GB RAM, 2TB HD, 1Gbps Uplink under $100 :)

oneilonline, Apr 1, 2014 IP
  9. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Port speed is fine unless you're hitting the limit. CPU isn't great but you're probably not maxing it out - are you monitoring usage?

You're problem is probably your disks. How you expect to provide fast performance from a single disk (and those trying to sell servers with a single disk - shame on you). Get a decent disk setup running multiple fast disks. These don't need to be SSD's, just get a better disk set-up. You'll probably get more performance from decent SATA 6gpbs disks than 3gbps SAS drives (thinking about saving money). Increase your RAM. Concentrate on these first as these are where your hardware performance will come from.

Unfortunately you're unlikely to get the faster disk subsystem and RAM without also upgrading the CPU and port speed as this will be part of the deal. Going for a CPU a couple of generations older e.g. a Xeon 5500, will save you huge amounts of money and probably give you plenty of headroom. They use cheaper DDR3 ram which is another saving. Don't go as far back as Xeon 5400 because they use expensive DDR2 ram.

Don't make the mistake most people do being impressed by big-number data transfers and super-fast CPUs. CPUs haven't been the cause of most bottlenecks for years. Disks and RAM are where it's at. As for 100mbps or 1gbps network speed - I wouldn't worry about it. You're not going to hit your traffic limits with either of them and I doubt you'll max out a 100mbps card. Save cash where you can and spend what you save on essentials that will really make your site zing along.

RonBrown, Apr 1, 2014 IP
  10. Muhammad Nasir Iftekhar

Muhammad Nasir Iftekhar Member

Best Answers:
    Ron, Thank you so much . This is the best answer I have ever got from anywhere... Thanks dude. I got your point.