1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is best Free Software to Create Web Pages?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by lakezilla, May 24, 2009.

1. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    The next person to suggest Dreamweaver as the best free software is going to get a slap.

:p

Kerosene, Jun 28, 2009 IP
  2. jamesicus

jamesicus Peon

Best Answers:
    jamesicus, Jun 28, 2009 IP
  3. sneso

sneso Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    notepad? lol

sneso, Jun 28, 2009 IP
  4. cabdziner

cabdziner Member

Best Answers:
    First Page 2006, from Evrsoft, has treated me well over the past few years. It is free and full featured. There are also different modes to edit with from beginner to expert.
    Make sure to save your work frequently. The program will crash every once in a while.
    I have tried most of the others, but keep using this one.
    I am no pso when it comes to website building, but I enjoy making my own sites. I have Adobe Go Live from a few years back and it is just too much of a learning curve to do what I want.

cabdziner, Jun 28, 2009 IP
  5. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Christmas on a cracker, not only do we have nube-tards recommending Dreamweaver when the poor guy asked for FREE, but seriously the only thing you can learn from that steaming pile of overpriced manure is how NOT to develop a website.

Follow the advice of KK5ST, Kerosene and others, go get yourself a flat text editor - they are all really the same. PSPad, EditPlus, Notepad++, Win32Pad, Crimson editor (my current favorite) for making the code.

Gimp is a tinkertoy, but it's free. Another free tinkertoy if you are on the windows platform is paint.net

A dark horse people often forget about is Serif PhotoPlus.
    http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/

Which is fairly full featured, and again free if you don't mind some minor bits missing - and if you want those bits it's only ten bucks.

For uploading to a server, there's always filezilla.
    http://filezilla-project.org/

Really a little knowledge/learning, any plain text editor, a image program to make images to hang on your layout (Do NOT DESIGN IN A PAINT PROGRAM!!!) and a free FTP client - and you have all you really need to go toe to toe with the big boys of web development.

deathshadow, Jun 28, 2009 IP
    Kerosene likes this.
  6. HivelocityDD

HivelocityDD Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla, Drupal , Wordpress, phpBB etc are CMS which you can use for free. If you are trying for an editor then you can use dreamweaver or netbeans.

HivelocityDD, Jun 28, 2009 IP
  7. don2688

don2688 Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the softwares dude...

don2688, Jun 29, 2009 IP
  8. dalvia

dalvia Peon

Best Answers:
    Even though I use Dreamweaver I love wordpress these days. It's so easy to add pages including sale letters. Awesome stuff for a free CMS,

D

dalvia, Jun 29, 2009 IP
  9. myndconsulting

myndconsulting Peon

Best Answers:
    Notepad++ - You have complete control over your pages and there is syntax highlighting. If you really want to really learn in-depth about how HTML, CSS, and JavaScript work then use Notepad++.

Dreamweaver is not free and even if it is free, I will still not use it. Just my two cents :)

myndconsulting, Jun 29, 2009 IP
  10. cypherslock

cypherslock Member

Best Answers:
    I would say GIMP for graphics, WAMP (or XAMPP on Linux) to quickly set up a php server and Aptana for one of the best HTML/CSS/AJAX/PHP editor. The free version is amazing, been using for a couple of years easy. I will have to check out ImageMagick.

cypherslock, Jun 29, 2009 IP
  11. lakezilla

lakezilla Peon

Best Answers:
    A lot of you are recommending Notepad++...what is the best and fastest way to learn the basics on program?

lakezilla, Jul 12, 2009 IP
  12. blomstervand

blomstervand Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    BLUEVODA. Its free and does the job.

Else, i would go gimp and notepad++

EDIT: Notepad++ is just advanced notepad. It supports alot of programming and coding languages, with highlightning and stuff. If you code or program its a must

blomstervand, Jul 12, 2009 IP
  13. webandinkmedia

webandinkmedia Active Member

Best Answers:
    here's mine.

+ Photoshop - creating website & manipulating photos
    + Illustrator - creating brands
    + Dreamweaver - site development
    + Aptana - site development (i love to code here)
    + Wamp - local server

webandinkmedia, Jul 12, 2009 IP
  14. thelostagency

thelostagency Peon

Best Answers:
    i would have to agree... Dreamweaver is the most expensive software to create websites.... just use Wordpress.org, Drupal, Joomla...

thelostagency, Jul 12, 2009 IP
  15. bob25

bob25 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    kompozer.net is the best free wysiwyg editor, just create a folder and place your files in it and then point and click. But if it's a large site I'd rcommend a cms system like wordpress or joomla. If you don't mind shelling out a few bucks xsitepro might be worth looking at.

bob25, Jul 12, 2009 IP
  16. Costumer

Costumer Peon

Best Answers:
    People seem to not read what he wants.

He doesn't want's a payed software like Dreamweaver ( Yes there is people actually who don't want to download that from torrent or whatever )

In the following you can find reviews about freeware software and you can choose what it suits you the most.

http://www.wdvl.com/Reviews/HTML/

Costumer, Jul 14, 2009 IP
  17. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Those are templates, good ones I'll grant you. But, you still need the development tools; a good editor (e.g. Emacs), an image manipulation program (e.g. the GIMP), vector graphics drawing program and a suite of command line graphics utilities (Inkscape and ImageMagick), a good ftp client (Filezilla or FireFTP for the basics, and the original command line ftp client for the tricky stuff), and the usual batch of utilities (ssh, scp, wget, etc).

Don't forget you need to test. Be sure to install your own development server with PHP and MySQL. Use the WAMP package for Windows. For Linux and presumably Mac, it's trivial to set up your server environment.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Jul 15, 2009 IP
  18. kdaly100

kdaly100 Peon

Best Answers:
    To develop and upload a website you only need 3 things. I use the 3 tools below every day non stop. There are many other tools I use to make my site visible - create sitemaps, improve my keywords and so on but it is outside the scope of this post.

An editor - Use a notepad like editor from the beginning as WYSIWYG will make you lazy and when you encounter a problem you will not be able to troubleshoot the HTML. The learning curve is longer but more rewarding. I use Notepad++ has nice highlighting and multiple tabs. Lots of others out there some mentioned here.

Graphics Program - On a budget use GIMP - free works well and will have all the power under the hood you need plus plenty of material o nthe web ot help you learn. Work with GIMP for a while before spening money on Photoshop (I have both for different reasons)

FTP Program - To get the stuff on the site. I use Filezilla but looking for a better tool as ti does not handle zip files well. But again easy to use.

For the people talking about CMS that's all very well but don't confuse this with creating a web site. And as for Dreamweaver I am not a fan PLUS IT ISN'T FREE!

kdaly100, Jul 15, 2009 IP
  19. Rodder7

Rodder7 Active Member

Best Answers:
    NVU or Kompozer are really good. Both are free, easy to use, and both will import web pages.

Rodder7, Jul 15, 2009 IP
  20. jbrooksuk

jbrooksuk Active Member

Best Answers:
    As a student, I received Microsoft Expression Web 2 for free. It's great! I used to be a huge fan of Dreamweaver, mainly the syntax highlighting, but MEW is perfect for me.

jbrooksuk, Jul 15, 2009 IP