1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is a realistic price for my job required?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by lprtoolmakers, Sep 21, 2015.

Hi guys, we have been posting this on freelancer but we are unable to get what we feel is a fair and realistic quote for our job required. People are wanting $500-$1000 for something we feel is a fairly easy-ish job for someone with the right skill set... I mean we could get a full new website built for that price.. Here is what we are asking to be done:

((our url: www.lprtoolmakers.com.au ))

We currently operate a Big Commerce shop selling engineering tools. It is maintained by very amateur coders with limited skills and we need some assistance incorporating a reward / tier system for our customers.

For example, if a customer spends over "X" amount of money (EXCLUDING SHIPPING) on our site, their member account is AUTOMATICALLY upgraded to a new tier. This new tier gives the member access to 5% discount off the rest of the products in our shop for a lifetime. Once that member reaches the goal for the next tier, their account is upgraded again and they receive new benefits and so forth.

We would like it designed with the following hierarchy: Standard Member: Spent $0-299 in store. Receives no benefits.

Bronze Member: Spent $300-599 in store. Receives 5% off storewide for all future orders. Silver Member: Spent $600-999 in store. Receives 7% off storewide for all future orders.
    Gold Member: Spent $1000+ in store. Receives 10% off storewide for all future orders

We'd like everything to be accurately and automatically calculated and we'd like the customer to have a page where they can view how much they have spent and how long until their next upgrade, view-able from their My Account page. We'd also like to change it so when a user log's into our site, instead of the hyperlink changing from 'Sign In' to 'Sign Out', we'd like it to say, "Hello, *CUSTOMER NAME*!" and then display a small badge with their rank.

If anyone could give us an idea of the work, hours and costs involved that would be fantastic.

lprtoolmakers, Sep 21, 2015 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    So it's been nobbled together by hobbyists and now you want the pros to come in and work with a junk site?
    $1k sounds like a bargain. You should get back to whoever quoted that much and accept before they wise up

sarahk, Sep 21, 2015 IP
  3. lprtoolmakers

lprtoolmakers Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    What do you mean? Most of it is setup by BigCommerce (the systems and databases) and the only thing we had to do with it was the design. How does the fact that I've amateurly altered pre-existing templates make it a junk site? Like therefore your calling BigCommerce junk all together..

I appreciate the junk site comment though, everything on the site now has been pretty much done by me by googling how to do shit and the sites turned over $250k.. I wonder what I'd be capable of if I actually had the skill?

4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I've no idea who BigCommerce are but they weren't mentioned in your post. You said the site was maintained by very amateur coders but you didn't say it was just the design they tinkered with. If you are happy with the quality of the work from BigCommerce I'd go back to them for the following reasons
    • they know their own system and will make fewer mistakes
    • they'll be faster than the best coder who is new to your system
    • they've probably done this before, your requirements are fairly standard, so you'll get a better quality job and probably have extras thrown in that you didn't know you needed but will be thankful for

sarahk, Sep 21, 2015 IP
  5. lprtoolmakers

lprtoolmakers Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    BigCommerce is an e-commerce pre built platform. You pay a monthly fee and they give you a control panel to add products and modify the appearance etc. (I did mention we used BC in post).

The people that operate the platform simply just sell you the right to use it, any codes and modifications you want done have to be done by you our outsourced, which is my reason for this post, trying to get a rough estimate of how much it would cost and hours involved.

6. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Depending on how this is coded (I've never looked a BigCommerce), this might take 5-6 hours, or 2 days. The stuff you're talking about isn't too hard to code, but will need some testing to see if it's working as it should, and that it doesn't break on fringe-cases.
    If you've gotten a quote for between $500 and $1000, to modify and add to an existing system with (what I presume is) no prior knowledge about the system, is cheap. Very cheap. And if you pull $250k a year, it's peanuts.
    Why do people always want something good for nothing?
    Let me quote you MY price for such a job. Let's say you want a fixed quote for the work, not getting billed by the hour. My hourly rate is about $100 (US), and lets say I have a little bit prior knowledge about the system, or that I give you a rebate based on the fact that I have to learn the system, and I don't think you should pay for that. So lets say I quote you up to 15 hours of work total for a flat fee of $1200. That way, I've given a max time I'm willing to use for that amount of money, and if things take more time, due to testing, or the system being junk, then you'll have to pay more - it's that simple. If it's easy, I've made some extra cash, due to finishing before the time-frame. Regardless, you're still getting it for cheap. And realistically, given that I'd have to learn how to game the system, and set up another table or two in the database, and perhaps even make the badges, overall $500 - $1000 is reasonable.

PoPSiCLe, Sep 22, 2015 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  7. scithe

scithe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I haven't used BigCommerce but I was looking into it and others for my own store. I'm not sure BC would allow you to make these sorts of changes to their code. This isn't something like a template that you tweak. I would actually contact BC and make sure that it would be possible for someone else to tweak the code you need tweaked and also that if they upgrade their software, will that break your custom code?

scithe, Sep 22, 2015 IP
  8. lprtoolmakers

lprtoolmakers Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your reply mate much appreciated. Makes sense.

lprtoolmakers, Sep 22, 2015 IP