1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is a normal Click-Through-Rate range?

Discussion in 'Reporting & Stats' started by qll, Sep 2, 2004.

After redesign of the layout, I have seen a HUGE HUGE increase of Click-Through-Rate. I know it is againt Google's policy to disclose of this rate. However I only want to know the normal rate of text based CTR.

I also ran other ads other than google, but they allow more ads per page. I got the rate about
    1 click/ 50 ads
    or
    2 click/ 1 page

I checked online, the normal CTR for Banner is between 0.5% to 5% in 2001. and now I bet only less than 1%. Flash CTR is falling too, and about the same rate as banner now. If using this guidance, I am way too much above normal. Even for my non adsense contents, I got more than 2% CTR.

The reason for my huge increase of CTR is that:
    1 I studied all forums about pushing the edge of Adsense
    2 I designed pages all based on those
    3 I emailed google for permission of those
    4 I got rejected for all, including "ThinkBling Style", "Floating Ad Style" etc
    5 Then I based on the replys from google and more research on clicking habbit of web users to design an all new style of displaying adsense within TOS.

qll, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  2. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Where are you showing these ads? Do you have an url to share?

mopacfan, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  3. qll

qll Peon

Best Answers:
    Currently I am also working on to control the rate -- only be able to reduce it artificially, using IP tracking and Click tracking. If the rate is too high for 1 IP, I can stop showing the ad.

qll, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  4. Geir

Geir Berserker

Best Answers:
    So basically you are saying that your design is so successful that you are afraid that Google will suspect something is wrong unless you take steps to LIMIT number of click-throughs?

Very, very interesting. Could you share some more details?

:) Geir

Geir, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Why not let Google handle fraud control? Since they do that already.

digitalpoint, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  6. qll

qll Peon

Best Answers:
    after i have been contacting google departments for many times, i have found some hidden facts in this company:

1 this company is totally a fraud, from an accounting viewpoint. i have this idea based on the information collected from adwords and adsense and from email communications with them. they are a public company now, sooner or later, it will be another Enron, as there are several factors not right about this company's financial books according the polling from adsense and adwords users. any way, it is out of the topic.

2 there are a lot more than TOS. many things are allowed by TOS, but banned by google if they found you doing it such as ThinkBling and FloatingAd. nothing is banning them, especially about floatingad. nothing. but if you ask, they will ask you not to do it.

3 i found 3-5 loopholes in TOS, and i designed things around them.
    #1 they only say "you can not encourage users to click" but not say "xxx"
    #2 frames - there are too many things you can do with them.
    #3 they banned floatingad unofficially, but there is another loophole as using server side programming you can achieve the similar things as floatingad. since i know it and i will not ask them again as i know once i ask them they will stop me doing it for sure, so i will earn as much as i can, as nothing in TOS covers this yet. after reading on webmastertalk and here i know that if they are not many people copying your idea, google does not care
    #4 POST affects vs GET
    #5 fraud control is favoring adsense publisher than adword advertisers. i once complainted a fraud click on my adword. do you know what they said: "write us a report about why you think that way". f.off.

That is really about as much as I want to say since I am getting 10 times more CTR and 100 times more profits than before i spent time on those things. The next step for me is to bring more traffics.

qll, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  7. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, so post your url so we can all see what you are doing and can give real input. As for CTR.... I will never discuss anything about those. Those are between Google and I. I think you will find most people here are not interested in discussing their CTR.

NewComputer, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  8. qll

qll Peon

Best Answers:
    i don't ask for anyone's CTR, but i just want to find out an industry average, as the most date online is out of date and only good for banner type of things as most people would use it.

i went to TextAds.biz and check out the CPP and CPM rates. People charge about $1 for 1000 impressions and $5 per click, so I can get it it about equal for the publisher to have 20 clicks for 1000, so it is about 2%. and if we consider 728x90 is using 4 space, then the rate is about 8%. but i double 4x1=4, so i think 5% is normal.

however, Textads allow some twisting, and adsense allows none, so I bet 5% is the high end and 10% is the red flag point.

i guess i have to poll a lot of adsense publishers and adword advertisers to get a more accurate data. but based on my limisted information, i can not think GOOG is valued at $100 per share.

qll, Sep 2, 2004 IP